Didn't Know What I Was Doing Had a Name

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
PMMMMM

Didn't Know What I Was Doing Had a Name

Postby PMMMMM » 08 May 2012 20:32

I have apparently been lucid dreaming since I was a teenager many years ago. Seems a natural time to begin, given the penchant for 12 hour sleeps of the average teenaged boy.

I've been able to consciously enter my dreams since I was about 16 or 17. In about 10-20% of my dreams (I figured) I am very aware I am in a dream. It's like watching a movie almost. There are times when I have tried to wrest control of the dream away from the subconscious. Most of the time I am unsuccessful, or at least successful for only a very very short period of time. On a very rare occassion, maybe once or twice per year, I can take full control of the dream and direct it in any way I choose.

I did not know what any of that was called until just today when a news story sent me looking for additional information on the subject, which lead me here.

I have always wanted to be able to take better control of my dreams. Frequently, I will lose out to my subconscious, and revert back to being only a witness instead of a participant. I would like to learn how to move to that next level of control. I guess it all starts here, now that I know there are people who have taken the time to study and catelog how.

Thanks for having this site and providing this forum.

lucidinthe sky

Re: Didn't Know What I Was Doing Had a Name

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 May 2012 23:47

You're lucky to be lucid dreaming since such a young age. I would think it should just keep getting better.

One thing I am interested in finding out though is if people are having different experiences in lucid dreams, especially in terms of how closely they resemble waking life: how "real" the lucid dreams are. You said it was like watching a movie, but have you had any lucid dreams where it was a real 3 dimensional physical world with gravity, and solid objects that you could actually touch? Things that felt warm, cold, sharp, smooth etc.?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 May 2012 02:54

I've been a long time dreamer. But I was lucid quite rarely.
Even I didn't know the name for it. I wrote in a dream journal from a few years ago that: 'I was dreaming and knew it." That was all I could call it.

And then I have been getting more and more weird lucid experiences since and it is a fun ride.

I told my brother about it, but it went way over is head. He said I should join a blog or something and that's what I did! I AM HERE WITH PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE AND WE ALL HAVE STORIES TO TELL!!!

Welcome to this forum.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 May 2012 03:03

I want to respond to LUCID IN THE SKY.
You are right. I don't consider a lucid dream GOOD until I am THERE! IN IT! and you can touch and feel and grasp and hear and smell, and taste. And all your senses are alive and you are in a world as real as the waking one.

But sometimes it can just be a dreamscape and you are lucid, but it may not be completely real feeling and you just watch.

BUT IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE THERE ISN'T IT!?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 May 2012 04:38

HAGART wrote:I want to respond to LUCID IN THE SKY.You are right. I don't consider a lucid dream GOOD until I am THERE! IN IT! and you can touch and feel and grasp and hear and smell, and taste. And all your senses are alive and you are in a world as real as the waking one. But sometimes it can just be a dreamscape and you are lucid, but it may not be completely real feeling and you just watch. BUT IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE THERE ISN'T IT!?

YES! All my lucid dreams are like that, so real. My mind is always blown by it and I can't understand how it can be. I had a dream about lucid dreaming last night which means I'm getting close, but it's a regular dream and no where near a real lucid dream. The lucid dreams you're talking about are much more like some place you go like an alien planet. It's a real world and suddenly you are THERE! You walk around and can feel the ground beneath your feet, wondering "What is this place and how did I get here?" I spent my first lucid dream just stamping on the ground in disbelief. You see things, pick up objects, feel their weight, feel their texture. Marvel at the whole while you know you are dreaming. You're IN this physical world, not watching it, but actually part of it. Of course you are dreaming, but that's almost impossible to believe while it's happening. I had one lucid dream where I had to keep telling myself it was a dream, part of me was saying "no, it can't be". Then another "yes it is! try not to wake up!" I think it's so amazing, I wish I could just show people what it is like.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “For Beginners”