Er, Hi?

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
DAL_nug

Er, Hi?

Postby DAL_nug » 24 Sep 2017 00:03

I am really nervous to post this and most probably hesitated for a good 10 minutes worrying if it's relevant enough or if people will react to it negatively and shun me in some way or another

- - -
WARNING, EXPOSITION ALERT

So... I was on my Discord server talking with my only friends which are at least one thousand miles away from me, and someone brings up dreams. They start explaining how they felt everything in the dream and the other person they were talking to said they get those almost every night. I felt like a third wheel because other than this one time from when I was really young, which I am skeptical if it was even a lucid dream or not, I was completely unable to relate to them.

I have always had trouble recalling dreams.

A day later everyone coincidentally starts taking about their dream experiences. I try to relate by throwing in a few of the scattered dreams I have remembered, but it was to no avail. I soon then started beating myself up about it. At school and at home, I dwelled on the thought that I not only 'couldn't dream' (I can but I just don't remember them) but I couldn't dream lucidly. I beat on myself worse. I had to vent to all of them every night for a week, usually ending in me crying my eyes out and feeling worse afterwards.

At first I was extremely desperate to try and get a lucid dream and panicked about it for two days, which lead to no results. That then made me beat on myself more. If you haven't noticed, I tend to rail on myself for whatever I either do wrong or fail.

I then had a full-on panic attack and almost destroyed my bed in desperate anguish and despair.

Later, I thought about everything up till then.

All this sadness was for naught and it helped me with nothing.

So, I came to this site and have been patiently trying at lucid dreaming for about a week now.

- - -
not exposition

Sorry about all that, I just feel I had to explain myself. You can call me dal; I'm a 16 year old and as said in that expositional brick of text I had a bit of a mental breakdown over my inability to dream lucidly; so I turned to World of Lucid Dreaming for help. I don't know if any progress is being made, but I certainly have been recalling at least one dream per night for the last week i've been trying at it. I want to have a lucid dream, and most probably more afterwards because that fit slapped me right in the face and made me determined to get one. I'm somewhat sarcastic but I try to be considerate, since I really hate hurting people's feelings and worry over how others think of me. I also strive to be relatively neutral on most things, so you most probably won't anger or annoy me unless you're actively trying to. I'm hoping I can be accepted here because I've always had trouble introducing myself to new forums and such.

erichsa

Re: Er, Hi?

Postby erichsa » 25 Sep 2017 11:37

I had a bit of a mental breakdown over my inability to dream lucidly; so I turned to World of Lucid Dreaming for help. I don't know if any progress is being made, but I certainly have been recalling at least one dream per night for the last week i've been trying at it.

Hi Dal you are at the start of learning how to dream, including lucid. With Gentle Persisting you should reach your aim, but it will take time. How long in my opinion depends on how you go about it. For me I keep a diary com dream journal. At night on waking up I record if I recall a dream on a Voice Recorder. ( Brought cheaply on E- Bay ) If interesting I write during the day the Dream in my diary. I did a lot of reading and watching how to dream. The number one book for me is: Lucid Dreaming A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life. By Stephen Laberge, PH.D. Our Website is overflowing with tips for all kind of Dreamers. The right attitude is your best tool to succeed. Positive Thinking will get you Positive Dreams. It did that to me, why should it not work for You. :)

DAL_nug

Postby DAL_nug » 25 Sep 2017 19:54

oh yeah, i forgot to say that
I do keep a dream journal, and have been recording dreams in it with varying degrees of remembrance
thanks for the tips, by the way
being a pessimist with low self-esteem makes it hard to have positive thoughts, but i've been trying my best to keep calm and not worry when getting ready for bed
i've been juggling a ton of stuff too, so the stress isn't helping :|
Hi, I have deep, unmoving, unrelentingly cruel emotional problems topped with only a small smidge of confidence and a big heaping dollop of no self-esteem; don't forget the side order of self-deprecation!

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 26 Sep 2017 11:24

being a pessimist with low self-esteem makes it hard to have positive thoughts, but i've been trying my best to keep calm and not worry when getting ready for bed
i've been juggling a ton of stuff too, so the stress isn't helping :|

Dal it might be a good idea to Meditate if you are not doing it already. To relax, to get it into your present mental make up That Rome was not build in one Day. I meditate to Solfeggio Music which I downloaded from Power Thoughts Meditation Club. I say it again. It takes time, With one person more , with the other less.. Softly, softly catch a Monkey. If you got questions don't hesitate to ask. Over time you should remember more and more dreams. perhaps at first not lucid, but dreams which can be vivid in all kind of situation. It did take me a few month before I after jumping along the way, that I had my first Body Flight.

I am aware that I am Dreaming. :)

DAL_nug

Postby DAL_nug » 26 Sep 2017 14:43

I may have worded that awkwardly so it seems i'm being impatient, sorry
I am trying to meditate; for the few days I have, i've been able to relax myself from whatever stress is troubling me by just counting my breaths and kind of entrancing myself- is it bad if I use my watch to snap me out of it once it hits ten minutes flat?
I completely understand that I have to be patient with this, since i'm an artist and I can't expect myself to go from my okay to expert instantly
thanks for the help again, by the way :)
Hi, I have deep, unmoving, unrelentingly cruel emotional problems topped with only a small smidge of confidence and a big heaping dollop of no self-esteem; don't forget the side order of self-deprecation!

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 26 Sep 2017 17:16

is it bad if I use my watch to snap me out of it once it hits ten minutes flat?

Any relaxing meditation is from my experience a step in the right direction. You may find in time different and longer meditation, go for it if you get results.
Where do you stay? Have fun and enjoy this life. :)

DAL_nug

Postby DAL_nug » 26 Sep 2017 17:35

erichsa wrote:Where do you stay?

if you mean where do I stay when meditating, i've been going into my closet which is also my computer setup
it's pretty small, so I just sit on my desk chair and rest my head on my arm and/or desk
i'm worried i'd fall asleep out of relaxation if I meditate on my bed, so my closet has been working fine
i've also been able to do it on the bus ride to and from school while listening to music, but it's a bit harder since there's group of freshmen that usually sits behind and they always scream random things for no real reason

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 27 Sep 2017 11:11

Hi Dal I was wondering where you stay on Planet Earth? Your Face could be a lot friendlier, that will help in the long run to be less negative, and show in your dreaming. :)

DAL_nug

Postby DAL_nug » 27 Sep 2017 11:16

oh, i'm in Connecticut
I guess I can change my avatar to something more positive

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 12 Oct 2017 01:09

Hi Dal. Thanks for mentioning This Thread in your other thread.

I really appreciate it reading your experience about beating yourself up 4 not being able to remember a dream because I get the exact same thing and I've always be myself up over everything. when I used to go to the gym I always beat myself up for not lifting as much as I wanted to. It's the same with this and the amount I beat myself up can be so much worse than the actual situation. Not only that I can rationally say that beating myself up about it doesn't actually help me do any better but it's almost like beating myself up is just my default reaction.

I've actually done a lot of work around what I found is called the inner critic in the last couple years. I'm 27 now and I didn't even know that I had such harsh inner voices until I was in my early twenties. Until then, I thought my head was like everyone else's. I had so much self-hatred and yet I didn't even know.

Once I started becoming aware of the harsh and mean self judgemental thoughts I guess I first started trying to write them down and trying to be nicer to myself. I mean I could do a huge workout in the gym and instead of thinking about how great a job I did a lifting those weights I would beat myself up for every little mistake that I could think of and I thought that was normal. A lot of times I even went on crazy food binges over it because I was just another way I beat myself up more. It was such a crazy cycle.

I'm not sure if your situation is anything like that but I really want to thank you because you raising my awareness of how those harsh inner voices still operate when for example I forget a dream I had and I can't remember it or when another night past I didn't go lucid. So your post helped me to work on appreciating the little bits of progress that I am making and even if I'm not making noticeable progress just to appreciate that I'm even doing my dream journal as best I can try and keep a bedtime and other things like that.

So I want to thank you so much because until I read your post I was so blind to my own inner critic beating me up every time I forgot a dream. Demanding profession and expecting me to remember every single dream. I expect myself to already have mastered something this complex lol .I think that I must have been taking my same harsh attitude that I took towards everything else in my life and applying it to lucid dreaming which I think it's supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Maybe now I can work on actually having some fun with it instead of just making lucid dreaming another chore. thanks again and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

And I think it's a cool Avatar

Return to “Introduce Yourself”