Sentient Dream Characters....

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Sentient Dream Characters....

Postby HAGART » 09 May 2012 06:13

I was going to add a response to the ever-growing discussion of Jam Jam's topic: "Do Dream Characters Develop Awareness?". GREAT TOPIC! I just thought it was starting to go on a tangent and let's start a new one.

DC's. Dream Characters... I don't know what to call them. Some are like zombies, and just walk around. They are strangers like in the movie, Inception, they are projections. They populate the area you are in. And then others.... well they seem to be lucid dreaming themselves, and we just happened to meet on a spiritual astral plane!

I had a LD in which I was with others that seemed to be lucid dreaming with me. One was gone and I figured he must have woken up. I asked some others, "Are you still dreaming?" and they answered, "Yes". We went down an elevator and were in a place, like a large hall, with a bunch of those zombie type people I mentioned. One of the sentient guys around me suggested we take the "old guy" (One in the crowd), and turn him into a bowling ball and bowl down the other people walking around. I never actually did that, but it was a good idea!

But anyway, sometimes people you meet just seem to know that you are lucid dreaming. And you can't mess with those guys. Your powers don't work. I like to mess with the general population. I like to levitate someone just a foot of the ground for a bit and see their reaction! But I can't do that with sentient dream characters.

There is a lot to discuss and we have many stories to tell about dream characters. THEY ARE FASCINATING!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

TransSonic

Re: Sentient Dream Characters....

Postby TransSonic » 09 May 2012 17:00

That's funny, I had a similar scenario occur last night where I managed to convince my roommate that he was dreaming too, at which point he became far more dynamic and autonomous than he had before. I think that lacking an intention might have hurt, though, because it wasn't long before he "lost lucidity" and dragged me out with him.

I'm actually curious as to your experience with this: when you set an intention, do these sentient actors tend to play along, or do they go out and do their own thing? I suspect that one of the reasons I've been having difficulty maintaining lucidity is because I'm not setting an intention, and I was wondering if bringing along some of these characters might help or hinder that ability.

Cheers!
TransSonic

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 May 2012 20:33

I actually don't know what you mean by, "intention".

Do you mean before sleep, setting an intention, or just when in the dream and you choose to go somewhere, do they follow?

But also. I have had lucid dreams in which it is just me in a room alone without anybody else. You can conjure things and it is fun. There doesn't HAVE to be any dream characters to be lucid.

But how to stay lucid.... there are a few tricks like spinning and rubbing your hands. But you can never stay in a lucid dream forever and we all have to learn what works for us with experience.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 09 May 2012 21:04

My dream characters vary so much, everything from the usual window dressing "zombie" variety to people that I know who have died and others that have a lot of depth to their "soul" if you will. Some of them I think are just sort of like mannequins and they are there just to populate the dream. Only if you access them do they do or say anything. Some of them seem very unprepared for any type of interaction and maybe weren't planning on you being lucid which of course makes the dream less scripted and things become unpredictable.

I had a really interesting DC the other night which started out as a gorilla in a zoo. I wanted to talk to it, but was warned not to because it was too dangerous. I went inside of it's enclosure and had a very deep conversation with this gorilla that changed into this beautiful older woman who was very deep and I got lost looking into her eyes. She seemed sad that she was trapped in the zoo, but then I said, "Yes, but you know this whole thing is just an act and that you only playing a role here. You can leave any time if you want." She agreed to that and I woke up. Left me really thinking.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

TransSonic

Postby TransSonic » 09 May 2012 21:39

HAGART wrote:Do you mean before sleep, setting an intention, or just when in the dream and you choose to go somewhere, do they follow?

More the "before you go to sleep" intention setting. My normal "intention" is mostly just "I will have a lucid dream", but once I become lucid I don't usually have a particular scenario in mind (I'm honestly just happy that I'm lucid at all), and just going along with the dream usually causes me to lose lucidity after a few minutes since I just continue with whatever I was doing. Granted, that's not always the case. I had one dream where I gained lucidity when I was standing in the aisle of an airplane much the same way I'd stand in the aisle of a crowded bus, and was able to maintain that lucidity until the plane landed a while later. The reason I believe having an intention will help prolong it is because the last time I remembered my intention I had 7 false awakenings over the course of an hour and a half of uninterrupted sleep, lucid the entire time. I'm just curious if sentient dream characters will go along with any intention, preconceived or otherwise, or if they usually decide to do their own thing.

lucidinthe sky wrote: Some of them I think are just sort of like mannequins and they are there just to populate the dream. Only if you access them do they do or say anything. Some of them seem very unprepared for any type of interaction and maybe weren't planning on you being lucid which of course makes the dream less scripted and things become unpredictable.

That's an interesting concept. My construct of my roommate seemed very dull until I began engaging him. Once I convinced him that "he was dreaming too", he seemed to snap into a very vivid and lifelike version of himself, much the way a dream does when you realize you're dreaming. I'm interested in exploring this concept more (If I can ever remember my intention to :P ) and see how a dream character's perception of their "reality" changes with the amount we interact with them. What if I manage to convince one that not only are they "dreaming", but that they are a projection of my own subconscience?

Anyway, thanks to you both for giving me some definite food for thought!

Cheers,
TransSonic

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 09 May 2012 23:04

TransSonic wrote:More the "before you go to sleep" intention setting. My normal "intention" is mostly just "I will have a lucid dream",

Setting intention is very important, in fact dreams are more "intent-driven" and "belief-driven" than anything else. (acutually I believe waking life is too) I often have lucid dreams by simply intending to have them. When I want something to happen, I'm learning to focus my intention, not my thoughts on it. The controls for intention are harder to get at than just thinking about wanting something. Also belief is important. Dreams are based not on what you think, but what you really believe. I read someone's post who said, "Whenever I want to drive a certain car in a lucid dream, I first reach for the keys. Once I have the keys, then the car will appear." This is an example of exercising your belief and intention.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

LucidDreamNews

Postby LucidDreamNews » 10 May 2012 01:35

I love the quote about reaching for the car keys first.

Robert Waggoner goes into depth on the subject of dream characters in his book Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self. (He refers to them as dream figures). You can find a link to Robert's website under the 'Lucid Dream News Reads' heading on the LucidDreamNews.com website. The book is a fantastic read!
Best wishes,
LucidDreamNews.com

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”