What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
22
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
38
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
29
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
29
25%
 
Total votes: 118

nreid
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 May 2012 14:11

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby nreid » 09 May 2012 03:33

I was actually baptized a Catholic but chose to be a non believer as I grew up and came to senses. It was a good religion and people were kind at it but it was too much for me. Having a lot of other religions work to their own advantage, you sometimes feel like you could get away with the rudiments of the other that require a little too much. I like the idea of Buddhism which sort of embodies a complete religion, for me at least.

User avatar
Rebecca
Site Admin
Posts: 456
Joined: 24 Apr 2011 06:21
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Rebecca » 10 May 2012 12:35

lucidinthe sky wrote:
Rebecca wrote:That's like saying "I don't understand how the magic trick works... so it must be real magic."


Are you saying you don't believe in magic?


There are a few ways to take this..... what do you mean exactly?

In stage magic, the magician creates the illusion that he can saw a woman in half. Just because I don't know how he does it, it doesn't mean she is literally sawed in half then magically morphs back into a whole woman again. It just means I've fallen victim to an illusion. It's fun to do this at magic shows because we enjoy the mystery. But to follow this mentality into real life is like choosing to live in a cage of suspended imagination.

In real life, magic is a way of saying we don't understand how something works. It's a cop out. I don't believe in cop outs when we have the critical thinking capacity to come up with real answers...

User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 10 May 2012 20:10

Rebecca wrote:In stage magic, the magician creates the illusion that he can saw a woman in half. Just because I don't know how he does it, it doesn't mean she is literally sawed in half then magically morphs back into a whole woman again. It just means I've fallen victim to an illusion.


Yes, that's just the point. We have to be careful not to fall into illusions, whether they are based on religion, magic or science. My lucid dreams are so convincingly real I know how easily we can be fooled. It's very difficult for me to tell the difference between a lucid dream reality and the waking world, although we know that dreams are illusions so to say.

As Einstien said, "reality is merely an illusion". Science has provided us with the best "model" of reality that we have, but it is a model and not to be confused with reality itself. As humans, we are too limited to perceive the universe as it really is. In my opinion, reality is experiential and objectivity is the biggest illusion of all.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

User avatar
Rebecca
Site Admin
Posts: 456
Joined: 24 Apr 2011 06:21
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Rebecca » 11 May 2012 05:17

lucidinthe sky wrote:
Rebecca wrote:In stage magic, the magician creates the illusion that he can saw a woman in half. Just because I don't know how he does it, it doesn't mean she is literally sawed in half then magically morphs back into a whole woman again. It just means I've fallen victim to an illusion.


Yes, that's just the point. We have to be careful not to fall into illusions, whether they are based on religion, magic or science. My lucid dreams are so convincingly real I know how easily we can be fooled. It's very difficult for me to tell the difference between a lucid dream reality and the waking world, although we know that dreams are illusions so to say.

As Einstien said, "reality is merely an illusion". Science has provided us with the best "model" of reality that we have, but it is a model and not to be confused with reality itself. As humans, we are too limited to perceive the universe as it really is. In my opinion, reality is experiential and objectivity is the biggest illusion of all.


I agree... And I feel that religion is the biggest illusion of all, because it's an outdated human artifact. I don't think it really, truly demonstrates progress for the human race on any front. And it doesn't shine light on the universe for me. It just shines light on human nature.

Science doesn't have all the answers either, but it is the best model we have, as you say. (You quote Einstein to suggest reality is merely an illusion, and this observation was based on a scientific model, which you say may well be flawed in itself. Aaak, paradox! :P )

So, yes, our understanding of reality is limited by our own senses and imagination. Every thought that passes through our brains in colored by subjectivity. You might argue that is the point! It certainly gives rise to creativity....

But it doesn't help us qualify objective truths, which we need to do (for example) to build space rockets and explore the universe. If we're going to learn more about reality, I think the answers are both out in the cosmos (where the "real" universe is, not our little bubble of life here on Earth) and right under our noses in the quantum world. Science is our vehicle for this, not religion.

As for magic... there are various definitions of we we all mean when we say this. I take it to mean neglecting the known laws of science to make it fit with the perceived illusion. Which would be silly, no?

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3656
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 11 May 2012 10:06

I think religion helped to launch civilisation. I think it brought us together and helped the majority to cooperate. But now we have come so far that we don't really need it any more. We can live without it and still respect each and adhere to the moral code. We can be good to each other without having to believe in a God.

Once upon a time people might have been a bit lost and something like religion might have helped greatly. Today, we see how religions are marketed, how they are used as a means of control, and how they can spark wars and conflict.

I feel that religion is outdated. It may help some individuals to have faith and give them comfort but it also creates dangerous zealots. I think we must learn to be mentally strong and think for ourselves instead of relying on miracles and praying for the mercy of a God that has never been proved to exist.

Human beings go from being children to adults and in the process they grow out of Santa Claus and fairies. As a whole, and as we evolve intellectually as a species, I believe it is about time that we grew out of God.

I'm done with believing in magic ages ago. Today, I pragmatically believe in how lucid dreams can improve the quality of our lives in general. If something awful happened to me and I fell into depression, I would turn to lucid dreaming in order to problem-solve and cope with the situation emotionally.

I would do that because I know that lucid dreaming would deliver practical ends... unlike a God who is silent all the time and probably isn't there.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Peter
Posts: 1951
Joined: 26 May 2011 08:02
Location: New Zealand

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Peter » 11 May 2012 13:28

I will be happy the day religion is gone and we treat each other with respect and value because of our own desires to get on with one another. We dont need religion to do this and feel we have outgrown the need for it. The values are great but there is so much ownership in each sect and no tolerance for anothers view that it gives to its members on one hand and takes from society on another. It is a micro tool for outr species not a macro tool as it does not cross barriers and at the top are leaders that value power and money in a way that would make corperate CEO's blush
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

User avatar
Rebecca
Site Admin
Posts: 456
Joined: 24 Apr 2011 06:21
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Rebecca » 14 May 2012 09:05

Having been raised Christian until I was ~10, then Spiritualist all through my teens, it was only in my 20s when I started thinking for myself and challenging these beliefs that I took for granted.

Finally, I started to look at it with the mindset: what if it is all a great hoax? I started out tentatively but then the truth became overwhelming and it all clicked for me. When I finally considered the possibility that spirits/the afterlife/ God/angels aren't real, I didn't feel scared/empty/alone - I felt liberated and enlightened. I was finally free to view reality through my own lens - not someone else's.

I know it's a touchy subject. As much as religious people resent atheists for invalidating their belief system, I resent the indoctrination of religion as a whole. Here's why:

If you come to believe in metaphysical concepts because you truly have examined the available evidence, unbiased, and come to that conclusion yourself, then I support you in your journey. But if you believe in eternal life simply because that's what you were taught to do by someone else, then I feel you are the victim of brainwashing. Yes that is possible. Please don't be naive. We live in world that is both beautiful and disgusting at once.

I wish someone had encouraged me to think independently when I was young. It would have saved me a lot of time listening to psychics and pursuing erroneous philosophies of the afterlife. I want to give others the insight I so lacked. You still get to choose your beliefs freely with your new point of view.

So, I guess I just want to make clear that my message of atheism is not stop believing in God. It's question what other people tell you. (Especially when it involves such a major, life-changing concept as this.) Atheism gives you the freedom to think without the boundaries of religion and take responsibility for everything you do in life. It does not defer to any mystical entities just because it makes you feel better. That's the real beauty of it. You get to own your own life!

EDIT: I want to put that last part in context. When my brother was a teenager he went to see a psychic, who told him he would marry, divorce, and marry again before having kids. Can you imagine the impact this may have had on his relationships if he truly believed in the spirit messages? I was also told by psychics to end a good friendship, stay in a doomed relationship, and to quit school and travel. DO NOT let anyone tell you what to believe or do, especially in the name of some magical unknown force which fails to rationalize its advice. Your life = your decisions.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3656
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 14 May 2012 09:27

When I finally considered the possibility that spirits/the afterlife/ God/angels aren't real, I didn't feel scared/empty/alone - I felt liberated and enlightened. I was finally free to view reality through my own lens - not someone else's.


I can relate to this.

If you come to believe in metaphysical concepts because you truly have examined the available evidence, unbiased, and come to that conclusion yourself, then I support you in your journey. But if you believe in eternal life simply because that's what you were taught to do by someone else, then I feel you are the victim of brainwashing. Yes that is possible. Please don't be naive. We live in world that is both beautiful and disgusting at once.


So true! So true!

EDIT: I want to put that last part in context. When my brother was a teenager he went to see a psychic, who told him he would marry, divorce, and marry again before having kids. Can you imagine the impact this may have had on his relationships if he truly believed in the spirit messages? I was also told by psychics to end a good friendship, stay in a doomed relationship, and to quit school and travel. DO NOT let anyone tell you what to believe or do, especially in the name of some magical unknown force which fails to rationalize its advice. Your life = your decisions.


Tut-tut... psychics.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

dreamerinmiami
Posts: 182
Joined: 20 May 2012 23:34
Location: Miami FL, United States

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby dreamerinmiami » 23 May 2012 05:16

I chose the second option. I went through a time where I didnt believe about a year ago. During this time I would feel so lost and alone. One day while crying outside I looked up and asked God to please give me sign and i swear that a shooting star. I admit after this I still refused to believe. I looked for ways not believe. Things just got worse in my life. Recently ive been very spiritual and thingshave gotten so much better. Ive even had dreams where God was talking to me inmy head telling me that he loves us all. I respect all religion and views. We are more than just humans. We are spirits havinh a hu,anexperience. I also believe that God isnt what hes made out to be. Theres much that Man doesnt understand.
What is your definition of reality?

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3656
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 23 May 2012 19:30

I find myself agreeing with Sam Harris. Watch both videos as they interrelate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcO4TnrskE0

http://vimeo.com/38198059
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest