Have you experienced this? Seeking advice.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LuckyMan

Have you experienced this? Seeking advice.

Postby LuckyMan » 20 Oct 2017 00:16

Gonna put this out there and ask if anyone can tell me what this: I go to sleep (almost every night) at precisely 4:30am (after my WBTB) and therefore I know I will enter REM within the hour. Sometimes everything clicks and I get the “aha” moment but also sometimes I wake from a dream (usually about 1 hour from my going to sleep) with my windshield all abuzz. I call the inside of my eyelids my windshield (aka windscreen for those from across the pond, lol).

Anyway I wake up and my hypnopompic imagery (like the age-cracking on an old piece of fine china) is like someone has plugged it into a high voltage battery. The sensation lasts for about half a minute, before it fades to calm and blackness again. I sense it is the ending, the grand finale of the sleep cycle I have just left. I call it the morning REM flourish. (This phenomenon does not happen in sleep cycles prior to my WBTB – or not that I remember anyway) I am either at the beginning or ending of REM. Which is it? Is it the REM overture or the coda? The intro or the outro? I don’t hear a lot of people talk about this little “signpost” and I’d like to identify it, because in identifying it I can maybe make it a familiar marker on the pathway to lucidity. And, more to the point, what should I do when I experience it? Is there any way this little phenom can be used to catapult me to lucid-land.

Hoping you can give me your thoughts on this.

Sph2o

Re: Have you experienced this? Seeking advice.

Postby Sph2o » 22 Oct 2017 03:32

I actually have experienced this, as a night owl, when I stayed up the night before and sleep in late.

Often with this type, I find that while I tend to remember more specifics about what my dreams are that occur in this time, it also tends to be more affected by outside influences (what I'm hearing around my, light coming into my room from a window, smells, etc) which may cause this effect. The odd details and the "going out" could be triggered by these external causes, causing your senses to try to find a logical explanation for what they are experiencing, like when you hear an alarm clock and instead of waking up you simply incorporate the sound into your dream. You can test this, since you mentioned that the main change tended to be that of a visual one, try changing your sleeping position (like sleeping sideways, upside down) or changing the level of light in your immediate area (keep a lamp on, put a heavy blanket over a window etc) If this changes what you experience at all, you can isolate the cause. Hope this helps.

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » 22 Oct 2017 17:08

Sph2o wrote:I actually have experienced this, as a night owl, when I stayed up the night before and sleep in late.

Often with this type, I find that while I tend to remember more specifics about what my dreams are that occur in this time, it also tends to be more affected by outside influences (what I'm hearing around my, light coming into my room from a window, smells, etc) which may cause this effect. The odd details and the "going out" could be triggered by these external causes, causing your senses to try to find a logical explanation for what they are experiencing, like when you hear an alarm clock and instead of waking up you simply incorporate the sound into your dream. You can test this, since you mentioned that the main change tended to be that of a visual one, try changing your sleeping position (like sleeping sideways, upside down) or changing the level of light in your immediate area (keep a lamp on, put a heavy blanket over a window etc) If this changes what you experience at all, you can isolate the cause. Hope this helps.

Hi Sph2o,

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your input. It is always interesting trying to describe something in the sleep landscape.

In this particular case I am sensing something that is definitely internal. Your suggestion about it maybe being related to something external, I have ruled that out. The room I spend in my "2nd sleep" (the place where I sleep after my 3:30am-4:40am WBTB) is much like a soundproof sleep chamber, complete with blackout curtains. So the sensation I am getting is definitely "inside" my body. What also confirms its "internal" nature is that it is the same every time I experience it, whereas if it was an external noise (like my cats, LOL) it would be rather random in appearance and in timing. This sensation ALWAYS appears at the same time, near the end of the first cycle after WBTB, so I know, even without an EEG, that it is related to REM. As I say, I think it is REM's last little gasp before "signing off" at the end of the cycle.

Anyway, I do appreciate your reply, I am always happy to discuss these things with like-minded oneironauts as it helps me sharpen my communication skills when talking about these things, and describing them. Thanks! Here's wishing you every success in your quest for more happy lucid dreams. -M

Sph2o

Postby Sph2o » 04 Nov 2017 07:54

Thank you for the insight LuckyMan. Now that you have left no doubt to the situation being on the "inside" perhaps I might suggest using a sleep app which tracks your REM sleep? I attempted this once when experiencing a consistent wake up time a few years ago with no known cause and this is what determined that I was in a close to wakefulness sleep level. Upon this observation, the app I used also monitored the sounds throughout the night which led me to the outside source, as my recommendation. Even if this is not the case, this may assist in hints to the reason by an outside source and consistent record to look for patterns that may lead to the cause in this case.

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » 05 Nov 2017 20:17

Sph2o wrote:Thank you for the insight LuckyMan. Now that you have left no doubt to the situation being on the "inside" perhaps I might suggest using a sleep app which tracks your REM sleep? I attempted this once when experiencing a consistent wake up time a few years ago with no known cause and this is what determined that I was in a close to wakefulness sleep level. Upon this observation, the app I used also monitored the sounds throughout the night which led me to the outside source, as my recommendation. Even if this is not the case, this may assist in hints to the reason by an outside source and consistent record to look for patterns that may lead to the cause in this case.

Thanks Sph2o, Always great to get input and suggestions like yours, and always appreciated. -M

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”