EXPLODING HEAD SYNDROME

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

EXPLODING HEAD SYNDROME

Postby HAGART » 29 Apr 2012 22:43

If you are unfamiliar with this, look it up on Wikipedia. (That is the extent of my knowledge about it).
Except I have experienced it for myself.

The article says that, "Exploding head syndrome is a parasomnia condition that causes the sufferer occasionally to experience a tremendously loud noise as originating from within his or her own head, usually described as the sound of an explosion, roar, gunshot, loud voices or screams, a ringing noise, or the sound of electrical arcing (buzzing)."

It also goes on to say: "Exploding head syndrome is a condition that causes the sufferer to occasionally experience a tremendously loud noise as originating from within his or her own head, usually described as the sound of an explosion, gunshot, door slamming, roar, waves crashing against rocks, loud voices, a ringing noise, the terrific bang on a tin tray, or the sound of an electrical arcing (buzzing)."

I sometimes hear a loud scream, or a door slam, or a doorbell ring. I never knew I was suppose to be a 'sufferer'. I thought it was just part of lucid dreaming. I think we all have reported a 'buzzing sound' on occasion. The article goes on to say:

"These loud noises are a common feature of out-of-body experiences. In surveys, as many as 85% of respondents indicate perception of them during the onset of such experiences." AND, "In most cases, it occurs when they are in a state between asleep and awake."

Just last night I was in and out of lucid dreams and sleep paralysis, and I heard a loud, blood-curling scream. I jolted awake, but remained still and decided I wasn't going to let it frighten me. I drifted back into sleep paralysis and the scream came back, but this time I let it happen and it turned into the familiar buzzing sound that precedes and out of body or lucid experience. Sometimes it becomes a chainsaw or crickets chirping depending on how my mind 'interpreted the cloud' for example I think it is the mind trying to make sense of the sensation like seeing things in clouds that aren't there. It makes the 'sound' familiar. Other times I have heard doors slamming, doorbells ringing or dogs barking.

Anyway, I always thought these audio-hallucinations were just a part of lucid dreaming. It would only be a disorder if you hear it during the day, or if you lose sleep over it. I was just wondering if it is common among other lucid dreamers or not?

Even if not, I would not call it a disorder, nor do I suffer from it. It's just part of the lucid dreaming territory I always thought.....

(but that's just wikipedia..... Should we edit that article or am I truly 'suffering'?) :?:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Re: EXPLODING HEAD SYNDROME

Postby HAGART » 29 Apr 2012 23:28

In retrospect, what I mean is: If people feel they are suffering from this, do they realize that they are actually moments away from having a lucid dream. If only they knew all the facts instead of a doctor telling them its a sleep disorder!

However I bet there is a disorder when it happens all the time when you don't want it too, but hearing noises sometimes when you are drifting off to sleep in again in the early hours of the morning... I thought that was normal and all a part of lucid dreaming.

I want to hear your story.
Has your head ever 'exploded'?
Last edited by HAGART on 30 Apr 2012 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 30 Apr 2012 07:41

Thank you for posting this Hagart. They also might be about to fall into SP with EHS being SP lite. I often hear my name being called when sleeping, but nearly awake and it wakes me up and I can't tell whether my name was really being called or it happened just in a dream. These are always hypopomic rather hypnagogic.

I've heard a loud pop only once. I was dead tired and barely able to drag myself to bed after watching a vampire movie marathon. I opened the back door to see if my cat wanted to come in. I perceived a being of pure wicked hatred made out of pitch black mist, much blacker than the darkness it came out of. It charged me at great speed and just before it attacked me I heard a loud pop and it blinked out of existence- the classic shadow person attack or an old hag experience without SP. The pop was like this sound and the terror woke me up. Useful link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_7GoWKBAMs
Last edited by Snaggle on 30 Apr 2012 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Apr 2012 13:21

Come to think of it, I heard my name called out before too.
I never thought of this syndrome until a discussion I had recently with "cmeindaclub". They said they heard a voice call their name and I started to think about all the weird stuff I hear.

When my name was called it was because of the "shadow guy". He was on the other side of the covers and tapped me and said, "Michael, wake up!" I asked if he was good or bad and he seemed to be in a good mood. I let him in and then he climbed inside me. When he did, I felt weird poking sensations like in SP. Then I asked if he wanted to dream and then we both sank and fell into a dream.

The 'shadow guy' is not a disorder either if you look at it a certain way. You just have to get use to it. And the scream I heard yesterday was related. It was a ghoulish, creepy scream. I felt knuckles digging in my side, and I knew who it was. But instead of 'looking' at it, and making a hallucination that isn't real, I just let it be. It was a little rough and instead of floating out of my body I was dragged out. But when it stopped, I got up, dusted myself off, and started to explore the dream world where I was. (it was outdoors near a forest).

Things are only a disorder if you can't control them, and they run your lives. To the uninitiated I can see how stories like these can be terrifying. But to me it is actually kind of fun!

Shadow

Postby Shadow » 12 May 2012 20:27

This has happened to me before. I was more confused than scared or anything. I was listening to some meditation music beforehand. The music ended and about two minutes later I heard this extremely loud "ZAP". It sounded like a jolt of electricity or something. I didn't know what it was, but I sat up in bed looked around for a second then just layed back down. That same night I had my very first lucid dream :)

Peter

Postby Peter » 14 May 2012 00:01

I have had some violent bangs in the head at times and my name called out and other peoples voices as well. They are just part of the process and while feel quite real and nothing to be concerned about
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

celms

Postby celms » 02 Jun 2012 00:11

Hi! I`m studying medicine in University of Latvia. This year Im writing a paper about Exploding head syndrome and Im searching for people who has had symptoms like these: loud bang while sleeping ar while falling asleep, electric buzzing, explosions, flashlaights, inability to move limbs or trunk etc. Please contact me (m.celmina@gmail.com) if you are willing to help me to graduate this year, you will just need to answer a few questions about your expierience!

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 02 Jun 2012 01:15

I never knew it was called Exploding Head Syndrome but this is a perfect description of what happens!

The first time I experienced it was as a teen, I was practicing Monroe's OBE techniques. After the point my entire body went numb and dissociated from my mind, I heard a shockingly loud buzzing, vibrating noise. It was so loud and disturbing, building quickly in intensity, I thought "oh **** I'm going to burst a vessel in my brain!!" I got scared and deliberately broke the meditation and the noise went away.

I did more research and learned it was actually safe and just an auditory hallucination. On later attempts I pushed into it for longer, eventually it just goes away on it's own and you launch out of body (or into your lucid dream). I don't always experience it, it seems to be a specific set of circumstances during OBE induction that induces it.

The difference between suffering from a condition (such as EHS or sleep paralysis) vs inducing it deliberately through exploration of these sleep-wake borderland states, is a true "sufferer" is subjected to it frequently and against their will. It's called a disorder when it interferes with your normal life and you want it to stop. Otherwise I wouldn't liken it to suffering at all, it's just a cool meditation phenomenon and I encourage it if you want to have more WILDs and OBEs.

(Other auditory hallucinations in this state sound quite real to me. The first I ever heard was a man standing outside my house shouting "it's f****** winter!", clear as day, I can still hear the voice now, even though there was no-one outside. After that I heard my name, snippets of conversation and of course more buzzing. This all coincided with my discovery of OBE techniques and meditation. Fascinating - and fun!)

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 02 Jun 2012 02:25

Such a overly dramatic title for this event. LoL

I get these sounds while meditating and falling asleep at night.
Over the years I've learned to ignore the sounds, but they *can* be kinda startling until you realize they weren't physical. hehe

Rebecca wrote:(Other auditory hallucinations in this state sound quite real to me. The first I ever heard was a man standing outside my house shouting "it's f****** winter!", clear as day, I can still hear the voice now, even though there was no-one outside. After that I heard my name, snippets of conversation and of course more buzzing. This all coincided with my discovery of OBE techniques and meditation. Fascinating - and fun!)

That... is GOLD! :)
Experiences like that you simply can't make up! LoL
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

celms

Postby celms » 07 Jun 2012 16:49

HAGART, its acutally just qualified as a sleep disorder because happens while falling asleep, but its a kind of expression of stress (psychoemotional or physical). And there ar scientists that think that these explosions are physiological.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”