Questions for Rebecca

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
faunachi

Re: Questions for Rebecca

Postby faunachi » 29 Apr 2012 20:23

Hello again,
I asked a few weeks ago about an interview for school, and you directed me to your standard interview page (thanks, it was very helpful!). I also need a direct response, so here's a question I have: After becoming lucid, is it possible to sink back into a normal, non-lucid dream state? If so, how would this occur?

bigmike11796

Postby bigmike11796 » 04 May 2012 12:12

Last night 5/3/12 i had a lucid dream nightmare but i wasnt able to control anything i did the checks in my dream but in my dream it was like it was trying to have a luicd dream within myself.. but it failed because i became possesed when ibroke the possesion my grandmother became possesed i knew i was dreaming but nothing worked it seemed like what ever was in her was in controll of everything , now im scared to even fall back to sleep with out freakig out, any ideas on what happened or what should i do?

hundredgrand

Postby hundredgrand » 12 May 2012 08:03

can u learn anything from your lucid dreams or is it just for fun?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: No results yet.

Postby Rebecca » 15 May 2012 00:46

Cyto wrote:Hi, Rebecca! Ive read a lot of your work and it has really inspired me to start lucid dreaming.

I've been practicing lucid dreaming for three moths now by keeping a dream journal and doing reality checks whenever coming in contact with a frequent dream sign. However, in the dream world, even when I come in contact with those dream signs, my dream self doesn't stop to think to preform a reality check at all. I've also been attempting to preform the WILD technique by waking up in the middle of the night and remaining still with my mind awake and alert (still no success however). Would you have any suggestions or tips for me?

Thank you very much! And keep dreaming!

When your dream signs don't trigger your reality checks, it generally means the mental association between the sign and the check isn't strong enough. For example, if your dream sign is a horse, and you see a horse in real life, does it jolt you into thinking "WAIT! Is this a dream?" If it doesn't happen in real life, then it is even less likely to happen in the dream world.

I'd focus on doing more reality checks throughout the waking day, with or without necessarily attaching them to dream signs. The sheer frequency of waking RCs causes them to arise in your dreams. I always find staircases are a good trigger too, possibly because of the sensation of movement causing heightened awareness in the dream, which prompts lucidity.

Also be sure that your RCs are mindful. Really, truly ask yourself "Am I dreaming right now?" and examine your reality. Pretend for a moment that the desk isn't real and you could push your hand right through it. Or imagine yourself floating. Touch and movement are just really good triggers for me, and not necessarily logic or memory, which are impaired in the dream world.

As for WILD attempts... there's a lot more to it than just lying still and staying awake. It's a deliberate process of physical relaxation and mental conditioning. I'm sure I've covered this in the forums recently (maybe even this thread) and there is heaps of discussion on this, so have a look around here for WILD advice as everyone has different tips which may help. If you haven't already, read my WILD tutorial in detail and make sure you're performing every step accurately: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/wake-induced-lucid-dreams.html

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 15 May 2012 01:05

faunachi wrote:Hello again,
I asked a few weeks ago about an interview for school, and you directed me to your standard interview page (thanks, it was very helpful!). I also need a direct response, so here's a question I have: After becoming lucid, is it possible to sink back into a normal, non-lucid dream state? If so, how would this occur?

Yes, this is actually quite common in beginners. It's a "slipping away" of mental focus in the dream and you have very little time to react (usually you don't even recognize it's happening).

Maintaining lucidity means staying focused while all sorts of wonderful, distracting things happen (like flying over the ocean, meeting your hero, or traveling to other dimensions). If you lose focus and become too absorbed in the experience, it is quite easy to forget that you're dreaming. Lucidity is lost. That may sound hard to believe, but remember that your mental faculties are reduced in the dream world. It is quite natural to return to the classic dreaming viewpoint; that is, passively accepting the dream as reality.

As for how it happens... Within seconds, the details reduce to the level of a normal dream and your sense of awareness fades. The dream is happening to you, rather than you are happening to the dream. Either the dream can fade to black, you can wake up, or you can end up continuing the exact same dream plot, only now you are no longer lucid and it quickly takes a new direction.

To prevent this, lucidity experts have developed a number of techniques for staying lucid. For instance, repeat out loud to yourself "I'm dreaming" every 30 seconds or so. When the dream shows signs of becoming vague, rub your hands together to stimulate kinetic sensation (which raises consciousness of your dream self) and demand that the dream intensifies by saying aloud "Clarity now!"

The best way to stay lucid (sometimes for up to an hour is possible, in my experience) is to practice. The more familiar you become with the act of lucidity, the easier it is to hold onto it while dreaming. You'll develop a mindset of always questioning where you are and whether you are awake or dreaming right now. This helps trigger and re-trigger your lucidity throughout the entire experience.

I've discussed this more in my articles: How to Maintain Dream Control http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-maintain-dream-control.html and How to Stay Lucid in Dreams http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-stay-lucid.html which you can also quote for your project. Good luck ;)

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 15 May 2012 01:19

bigmike11796 wrote:Last night 5/3/12 i had a lucid dream nightmare but i wasnt able to control anything i did the checks in my dream but in my dream it was like it was trying to have a luicd dream within myself.. but it failed because i became possesed when ibroke the possesion my grandmother became possesed i knew i was dreaming but nothing worked it seemed like what ever was in her was in controll of everything , now im scared to even fall back to sleep with out freakig out, any ideas on what happened or what should i do?

Check out my article on Lucid Nightmares:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-nightmares.html

That should give you a bit more insight into lucid nightmares (if you were actually lucid - you mentioned you were "trying" to lucid dream; so perhaps it's possible you were dreaming of lucid dreaming).

When lucid nightmares do occur (which is rare, in my experience) we have a huge opportunity for personal growth and enlightenment. Yes, they can be messed up and ruin your day. But you will forget the terror and keep the lesson.... so try to see it as an opportunity for growth, not a curse.

And remember, nightmares are a normal part of the human experience, and sometimes they can really freak us out. We still must go back to sleep!

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 15 May 2012 01:44

hundredgrand wrote:can u learn anything from your lucid dreams or is it just for fun?

Tibetan Buddhism uses lucid dreaming as a path to enlightenment:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-yoga.html

Some researchers are investigating lucid dream for physical healing:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dream-healing.html

You can use it to practice and create new music:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/music-in-lucid-dreams.html

And these famous lucid dreamers have applied their dreams to the fields of science, entertainment, literature, music and art:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/famous-lucid-dreamers.html

Lucid dreaming can also be used for out-of-the-box problem solving, increasing creativity, facing your fears, improving your confidence and practicing new skills:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/benefits-of-lucid-dreaming.html

There is no evidence to show that you can pick up truly NEW knowledge (such as a language you've never heard of or studied before) because this information would have to come from outside your mind.

However, you can gain access to a pool of subliminal knowledge and insight which resides in your subconscious mind, and this can yield seemingly new information (such as where you lost your wallet, or a "forgotten" childhood memory).

I'm sure there are tons more specific applications. If anyone wants to suggest more please drop it at this thread: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1516

dreamer45

does the subconscious mind knows something that i dont?

Postby dreamer45 » 16 May 2012 05:37

I been wondering if the subconscious mind knows something that i dont,like telling me something in my dreams or teaching me new stuffs??.... :?:

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: does the subconscious mind knows something that i dont?

Postby Rebecca » 17 May 2012 00:56

dreamer45 wrote:I been wondering if the subconscious mind knows something that i dont,like telling me something in my dreams or teaching me new stuffs??.... :?:

Yep see my last answer:

You can gain access to a pool of subliminal knowledge and insight which resides in your subconscious mind, and this can yield seemingly new information (such as where you lost your wallet, or a "forgotten" childhood memory).

But there is no scientific evidence to show that you can pick up truly NEW knowledge (such as a language you've never heard of or studied before) because this information would have to come from outside your mind.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 19 May 2012 00:47

I didn't really want to post this, as I know you get this question a lot. How come I can't lucid dream?

The main thing that drove me to ask this is the fact that, 1) I can remember currently around 2-4 dreams a night without a dream journal, 2) I try the MILD technique before falling asleep each nigh. I can't exactly do it, because i will drift off in thought and become absorbed (Most of the time). Is there any technique that doesn't involve resetting my alarm or a high chance of OBE's?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”