Roadblock

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Woofidy

Roadblock

Postby Woofidy » 10 Jun 2011 19:23

Alrighty so i've been trying to attain lucidity through the WILD technique. But there is a problem that seems to keep coming up. Everytime i become relaxed the unavoidable urge to swallow stops me from every hitting the point of sleep paralysis.

Any input?

Seto_Blade

Re: Roadblock

Postby Seto_Blade » 10 Jun 2011 19:59

You shouldn't consider swallowing a pertinent issue. It's completely natural to swallow, and it shouldn't impede your paralysis if it does happen. What's important is keeping your body in a still state, it's okay to have slight facial twitches and fluctuations, because it's a normal process.

Keep your focus on deepening your conscious state, and letting the hypnogogia slowly come to you. You will surely cross over the veil, just don't try to force it, because then surely it won't happen. You must create the balance of letting it 'be', let it flow naturally, but don't let it wander. Keep your focus and your intent and i'm sure you will have successful results. Good luck!

p.s. do you lucid dream regularly, or have you done it frequently enough to actually know the lucid awareness state? The WILD method is possible without having done so, but far less likely. I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with the MILD technique before the WILD.
Last edited by Seto_Blade on 10 Jun 2011 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 10 Jun 2011 20:35

Excellent question (I've been wondering about this myself)! And thanks for the reply to.

Say, what about *itching*, though? My word, it seems like just about every time I'm nicely relaxed and starting to enter into hypnogogia it'll suddenly feel like someone sprinkled "hot foot" powder on my nose or forehead or the inside of my elbow. Sometimes I can ignore it--but other times I suddenly find myself involuntarily scratching the itch--and, of course, interrupting where I'm at.

So, to itch, or not to itch--that's my question.

Seto_Blade

Postby Seto_Blade » 10 Jun 2011 21:11

It is pretty dang hard to ignore an itch, i'll give you that. It can't happen that frequently, though, can it? If it is, are you sure you're not setting the intention of having to itch yourself? Maybe you're not really itchy at all! Paradox for the LOSE!

Either way, i'd just say hope for the best and keep that concentration up.

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 10 Jun 2011 21:54

Paradox indeed!

Well, I'm pretty itchy in general, but I guess it could be a set up (Chinese finger trap o' the mind).

Actually, it doesn't always happen, but when it does it's funny how sometimes I can ignore it (and subsequently it goes away) while other times it'll turn into a gnawing itch, screaming for a fingernail.

Ok, if I find myself involuntarily itching, then I'll conclude it's real; if I can ignore it, then it was a phantom itch. In both cases I'll attempt to keep the concentration up.

Sheesh--I sound like I'm running for office here...

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Jun 2011 22:45

swallowing, itching and any little distraction is not an issue. Just deal to it and pick up from where you were. I find that they are part of the process of inducing a WILD and you will relax more after dealing with them.
Swallow if you need to, scratch an itch if you need to and then carry on

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 13 Jun 2011 12:58

Great answers.

If in doubt, relate it to the process of how you usually fall asleep. If you have an itch, what do you do? Scratch it. If you realize you need to pee, get up and pee. Just do the natural thing and then you'll relax quicker after you've got it out of your system and can properly rest.

The only exception to the rule is the Roll Over Signal:

When your body has been very still and relaxed for a long period, your body starts to wonder if maybe your mind has fallen asleep. It would be a very serious mistake if the body went to sleep too early, so the body sends a test signal to the mind. This test signal feels like a strong urge to roll over.

If the mind does respond to the roll over signal and you move, then the body knows the mind is still awake and does not fall asleep. So this a major mistake that you need to avoid: never respond to the body's roll over signal because it sends a message to stay awake rather than fall asleep. This can be difficult because the signal can become so strong that it's excruciatingly painful...

So the question is: what can you do improve this?

The 4 Types of Roll Over Signals

There are four types of roll over signals you'll encounter.

1. Fast Relax - The first type is the 'fast relax' case. This happens when you relax quickly and deeply and the body decides to just go ahead and paralyze without sending much of a roll over signal, if any. This is a good case to have because it happens quickly.

2. Slow Relax - The second type is the opposite case. If you're tense but stay still long enough and if the body is tired enough, the roll over signal builds and builds until it becomes very painful and extremely hard to ignore. However, if you're too tense the body won't paralyze no matter how long you've been still. This is called a "signal swell".

3. Urge Surge - The third type is called an "urge surge" which is a very useful case. In an urge surge, the body sends out a strong signal out of nowhere. If you're able to resist the signal for three or four seconds the body ends the surge and paralyses all at once. If you're not relaxed enough, this will probably result in only partial sleep paralysis which is not ideal.

4. The Quick Switch Roll Signal - Finally forth type of roll signal is called a "Quick Switch". If waking sleep paralysis is the holy grail for new OBEers, the quick switch signal is the holy grail of urge surges. It happens quickly and rewards you with nice and deep sleep paralysis almost instantly. It's also a very unmistakable feeling which is extremely useful because it lets you know what's going on.

Taken from: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dream-tricks.html

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 13 Jun 2011 23:56

Thanks for the roll over signal info, Rebecca.

I have a question, though. Does this just mean that you should remain on your back (if you're on your back) no matter what--in other words, ignore all signals and just *don't roll over* at any time?

The reason why I'm asking is that I've seen these steps out at Nick Newport's website as well (actually it might have been on youtube), and I've been messing around with them a little bit trying to possibly induce a WILD (no luck yet).

But it seemed like there was one part in Nick's demo a little later on where he says something along the lines of "Ok, now at this point it's ok to roll on your side--or whatever position you like".

I remember thinking that it seemed to contradict the instructions to ignore the roll over signal. Am I remembering wrong--or just not getting what he was talking about?

Thanks in advance for any additional info!

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”