Alternative Uses for Lucid Dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Alternative Uses for Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Rebecca » 15 May 2012 01:43

Someone recently asked me whether you can learn anything from lucid dreams, or is it all just for fun?

There are numerous well-known applications for lucid dreaming:

Path to enlightenment
    Facing your fears
    Creating new music and art
    Inventing new technology
    Developing new scientific principles
    Inspiring literature and movies
    Problem solving
    Improving your confidence
    Practicing new skills

There are also speculative applications still being researched, such as the ability to heal your physical body. We know the mind has some potential to heal the body (placebo effect) so this is an exciting area of research...

The original question asked whether we could LEARN anything new from our lucid dreams? In the strictest sense, there is no evidence to show that you can pick up truly NEW knowledge (such as a language you've never heard of or studied before) because this information would come from outside your mind.

However, you can gain access to a pool of subliminal knowledge and insight which resides in your subconscious mind, and this can yield seemingly new information (such as where you lost your wallet, or a "forgotten" childhood memory).

I'd like to know what do YOU use lucid dreaming for? Do you have specific ideas you hope to implement in future? Can you tell us how you applied any of the above to your dream life?

Ikamon.13579LD

Re: Alternative Uses for Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Ikamon.13579LD » 15 May 2012 02:23

I would like to use lucid dreams in order to experiment with the subconscious's potential and try certain paranormal activities like Mutual dreams and see if they are possible
We dine in lucidity TONIGHT!!!!!!!

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 May 2012 03:11

Rebecca wrote:Someone recently asked me whether you can learn anything from lucid dreams, or is it all just for fun? I'd like to know what do YOU use lucid dreaming for? ...

Oh, it's definitely fun alright. Waking up and feeling like you were in a real place only you knew it was dream. Being in waking reality and in a dream at the same time. That definitely qualifies as fun, but it's also quite entertaining, interesting, educational, inspiring, enlightening.

Of course having your mind blown in real time is certainly fun, but I'll tell you the real reason I like it so much. Lucid dreaming is not like dreaming, it's a place you can go. It's a place you can explore, you can touch it, you can feel it, you are there in it. It's a world, just like the one you're in while your reading this. I like lucid dreaming mainly because I want to go there, to that place. That's really why I like it. Do you know what I mean?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 May 2012 11:04

I usually send this to my students (some of the uses mentioned might be incorporated into what Rebecca has already mentioned):

Using lucid dreaming for practical ends:

The following are examples of how lucid dreaming can be beneficial: taking medicine in a lucid dream can dupe your brain into “switching off” its pain receptors as the placebo effect is more prominent in such state - in extreme cases of illness, medical assistance must still be sought (healing). Facing your fears while lucid is a great psychological tool (self-integration and therapy). Contacting deceased loved ones regardless of whether you believe that they are real or realistically simulated can be an exhilarating and emotional experience of relief (helps with grieving). In the dream world, you can also eat as much as you want and whatever you want without putting weight on (helps with dieting). Learning new skills and honing existent ones (confidence and adroitness). Fulfilling sexual fantasies (pleasure without social constraint). Accessing the subconscious mind reservoir (information and problem-solving). Visiting exotic places, exploring other worlds and being adventurous (escapism and entertainment). Lucid dreaming can generate new ideas at your request (artistic purposes). There are many other uses for the lucid dream state. The mind is the limit in the world of active imagination and if you want to reap the benefits mentioned above and much more - start practicing!
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

monar

Postby monar » 17 May 2012 01:16

I'm interested in using Lucid Dreaming for solving problems and inventing, but I (and most people) hardly remember dreams after waking up. I understand verbal responses can be recorded under hypnoses. Is there a technology that would allow a lucid dreamer to verbalize his solutions to be tape-recorded in real-time without waking up? If no, what would you suggest to support this idea?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 May 2012 13:55

I don't know about such technology but you can always improve dream recall by recording your dreams in a journal every night. A plan of action for your lucid dreams also helps. Another tip. Upon awakening, remain still and go over what happened in your head for about a minute. Do not move or think about what you will have to do for the day otherwise your dream memory will quickly vanish.

Once you have a good idea of how the dream or lucid dream happened, get your journal and start making notes. Write in the present tense as this reinforces the idea that you are reliving it in your head as opposed to writing in the past form which only tells you subconsciously that the dream is gone.

As you write, you may find that you are following a thread of dream memory backwards. You may also find that the more you write, the more you remember. Throughout the day, you may get more memories as you have programmed your mind to access them.

Lucid dreams, in general, are easier to remember due to the impact they have on us.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 18 May 2012 00:13

monar wrote:I'm interested in using Lucid Dreaming for solving problems and inventing, but I (and most people) hardly remember dreams after waking up. I understand verbal responses can be recorded under hypnoses. Is there a technology that would allow a lucid dreamer to verbalize his solutions to be tape-recorded in real-time without waking up? If no, what would you suggest to support this idea?

It requires a bit of training first.

A fellow named Tom Campbell used to work with Robert Monroe and his Explorer Team back in the 70's. Each person in the explorer team had their own way of interacting with Monroe as they were "out of body". Tom's was to "come back" every once in a while to report his doings. Other Explorers didn't have to "come back" and just spoke while "out".

So it's definitely possible. You'd just need to get real good at projecting. :)

As for alternative uses... I don't really have anything to add beyond that.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 May 2012 16:31

As far as I'm aware, which has been verified scientifically by Stephen LaBerge and many others, you can signal from the dream world while lucid by using eye movements. Other than that, I think the best bet is to improve and rely on memory for problem-solving.

- Padmasambhava

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 19 May 2012 07:14

monar wrote:I'm interested in using Lucid Dreaming for solving problems and inventing, but I (and most people) hardly remember dreams after waking up. I understand verbal responses can be recorded under hypnoses. Is there a technology that would allow a lucid dreamer to verbalize his solutions to be tape-recorded in real-time without waking up? If no, what would you suggest to support this idea?

I think that hypnagogic images are actually better for inventing than LD. One instead of streaming to new images morph an image into multiple prototypes and look at them from all angles. It's very possible to hold intelligent conversations with others while dreaming lucid or otherwise, but one usually does not remember them or does not remember what one said- evil females whom ignore my request not to talk to me when I'm sleeping do this all the time to me. Edgar Cayce also held conversations while sleeping of which he knew nothing. Dual consciousness is also very possible and yes Summerland I know this from personal experience.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 19 May 2012 17:36

Snaggle wrote:I think that hypnagogic images are actually better for inventing than LD. One instead of streaming to new images morph an image into multiple prototypes and look at them from all angles. It's very possible to hold intelligent conversations with others while dreaming lucid or otherwise, but one usually does not remember them or does not remember what one said- evil females whom ignore my request not to talk to me when I'm sleeping do this all the time to me. Edgar Cayce also held conversations while sleeping of which he knew nothing. Dual consciousness is also very possible and yes Summerland I know this from personal experience.

You can also hold conversations while in the state just prior to a WILD. When you're really relaxed and remain "open" to all possibilities... ask a question and be accepting of whatever comes back.

I haven't had any full responses myself, but I was doing a "search" a few times for a fellow who used to post on the Astral Pulse by the name of Frank Kepple. I was mentally asking around if I could speak to him, and at one point I got a very verbal response of "Who is this?". It was perfectly clear like someone was standing next to me asking.

It was pretty cool. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”