Background check

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

Background check

Postby fineganswaker » 10 Jun 2011 23:15

I've been meaning to post something about why I'm here...

I've always had lucid dreams off and on throughout my life, but I started spontaneously lucid dreaming about four months ago. I only had three such dreams, but all within the same month. That was unheard of for me. Before that incidents of lucid dreaming were always a few-and-far-between gift from the gods, so to speak.

These three dreams were all very vivid, very positive and very exhilarating--but also, unfortunately, brief. The exhilaration itself, typically, cutting them short.

At the time, believe it or not, I honestly didn't know that the term "lucid dreaming" existed, but after a few quick searches on the internet I was amazed at the plethora of information, research, and general interest in this area.

I was particularly amazed at all the information available on techniques for gaining and maintaining lucid dreams--including, of course, Rebecca's excellent web site here.

Initially, I had great results with Dr. Stephen Laberge's MILD method. Again I had a number of lucid dreams--and used spinning to prolong them. It seemed to me (about two months ago now) that I was more or less on my way to at least having lucid dreams with a certain amount of frequency.

But, as bluesman Robert Johnson once sang "there's stones in my pathway". Currently it seems that the more I work on lucid dreaming techniques (daily meditation, MILD, WILD, WBTB, RC checks during my days, disciplined dream journaling) the less bang I'm getting for it (expecting too much, perhaps?).

So I thought I'd start looking over the posts--and asking some questions myself. I'm hoping this is all just a matter of adjustment.

It's not all bad currently, however. Just last weekend I had an interesting strange encounter--but I think I'll post that into a more proper forum area.

Anyway, very happy to be aboard...

Site Admin

Re: Background check

Postby Rebecca » 13 Jun 2011 12:50

Hey, welcome to the forums, glad to have you on board :)

I agree there is an element of trying too hard with lucid dreaming, sometimes it just doesn't wanna happen. And there doesn't seem much you can do about it. I always say to just focus on remembering your dreams, making them more vivid (by adjusting your sleep patterns or simply just having a lie-in from time to time) and this can take the pressure off the act of becoming lucid. The lucid dreams will return.

Re: Background check

Postby fineganswaker » 13 Jun 2011 21:41

Thank you, Rebecca! Wow--I feel quite honored!

To follow up...Yes, excellent advice. And there seems to be such an element of surprise that comes with all of this--at least so far, for me. Believe it or not, I had a lucid dream just this morning--just past dawn, the sun was coming up and the birds were chirpin'--prime time.

It was a bit of a WBTB, brief, and induced by odd circumstances (it was actually a type of nightmare). I *thought* I was awake, but the intensity of what was happening (too creepy to go into detail. Lets just say it was like something out of a Tool video) caused me to do a reality check by looking at my hands. They were fading in and out, and the RC itself caused the actual realization of lucidity.

So here I was in the door, so to speak, but since I'm still a novice I couldn't really control anything. There was an overwhelming amount of what felt like deep psychological stuff going on--way too much to deal with, and I thought the only thing to do was to wake myself up.

The lesson learned for me, though, was that, although this had been a nightmare, I felt calm and relaxed upon waking. Almost like, "Who cares about the nightmare--I was lucid!"

And not to turn this post into War and Peace, but the other interesting thing is that this lucidity came after yet another night of slush. Plus, that makes two lucid dreams I've had in a little over a week. Not bad. I'm really starting to believe that, with practice and patience, anybody can do this.

Return to “For Beginners”