How I stop the "swallow reflex"

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
James

How I stop the "swallow reflex"

Postby James » 02 May 2012 15:34

One of my problems with WILDs was the 'swallow reflex'. Eg,

"ahhh, so far so good! WILDs are easy..."
"You MUST swallow or you will drown....."
"Ah! *swallows*"

Yeh...

So anyway, I found that if you put the tip of your tounge again the back of your lower front teeth, and the sides against the backs of the TOP molars, I got no siliva build-up. Post if it worked for you! :)
Was it worth it?

Postman

Re: How I stop the "swallow reflex"

Postby Postman » 18 May 2012 02:33

I don't think that would work, because when you are completely relaxed, your tongue settles into the back of your mouth. This is a huge problem though, for me. If not for this I would've had a WILD lucid dream already :/

Peter

Postby Peter » 18 May 2012 06:48

two thoughts on this and one is that its normal and you go to sleep each night and so its a matter of control and just putting up with it and I always find its more of a reflex rather than a build up of siliva as there is never much there. The other way to help a little is to elevate yourself a little.
What I do a lot of the time is just put up with it and and when I feel I am close to WILD I will sometimes roll on to my side and then WILD. This solves all issues in one go
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 19 May 2012 05:52

I find myself, once again, agreeing with Peter here. :)

I try to take the same attitude with projection (WILDs, Phasing, OBE, etc) as I do with falling asleep at night. When you're trying to fall asleep at night and you have to swallow or you get an itch... you just deal with it slowly and quietly, then go back to falling asleep. You don't worry about it, you just solve the problem.

Well, take this same approach with your WILD attempts. If you find that it's really becoming a focus problem... then take steps to reducing the issue. I find that soda (coke, pepsi, etc) causes a lot of saliva production. In which case, don't drink that stuff before practicing. Try to stick with just water if you can. It's healthier for you anyway. ;)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”