Carl Jung on Dream Analysis

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
redbeard

Carl Jung on Dream Analysis

Postby redbeard » 31 Jan 2018 19:32

...As the process of assimilation goes on, it puts an end to the dissociation of the personality and to the anxiety that attends and inspires the separation of the two realms of the psyche....
- Carl G Jung

The above is an excerpt from the book "Modern Man in Search of a Soul"

Here, by "assimilation", Carl Jung is referring to the conscious assimilation of the unconscious i.e, an interpenetration of the "two realms of the psyche".

Now, what this means, in this context is : the dream, which is the manifestation of the unconscious in being analysed by the dreamer (or the dreamer and the analyst together), and the unconscious facts of the mind are being brought into conscious by making the dream content explicit.
This is the fundamental concept on which whole of Freudian Psychoanalysis pathology is based.

What I would like to discuss here is how this assimilation takes place in a Lucid dream.
In a Lucid dream, interestingly, the dreamer is conscious and is experiencing his unconscious consciously. But this does not necessarily offer any additional benefit, so to speak, to the dreamer. The dreamer may still choose to ignore any or all of the unconscious expressions in the dream, just as any person can discard their dreams and not attach any significance to them.
So lets look at the other case.
In a Lucid dream, the dreamer may choose to manipulate or interact with the dream, or leave it to unfold on its own just being an observer. Looking at the psyche as a whole, the difference between a Lucid dream and otherwise would be the presence of a conscious entity in the dream (which you identify as yourself). So how does the unconscious react to this intruder in its territory? Does it react any differently at all? Does it even know?

Another aspect of my curiosity is this. Does the lucid dreamer have any added advantage than the non lucid dreamer who gains insight into the unconscious by interpreting the dreams. This line of thought comes like this, even in a Lucid dream, the dreamer still has to make sense of the unconscious in a way no different than when a dream is being interpreted. Now, of course a Lucid dreamer has a tremendous ability to stimulate & provoke the unconscious into giving away information the way. Your thoughts on the extreme case, when the unconscious itself is acting as the perfect analyst and telling the user about the "Why" and "What For" of the dream. For instance, when the dreamer asks a dream character, "What information are you trying to convey?".

I would really appreciate any response. Addressing any topic mentioned above, your comments, opinions, answers, corrections.
I want to hear your views.

Thanks for reading.

zchxcy1

Re: Carl Jung on Dream Analysis

Postby zchxcy1 » 01 Feb 2018 06:27

Hello, I come from China, my English is not good, but I am willing to put forward my idea, I hope you can accept. I think both self-awareness and subconsciousness have their own jobs. Self-awareness is a conscious action on the part of the outside world. Therefore, subconsciousness is responsible for the operation of viscera and partial self-protection mechanisms. So the two are one. I think that entering unconsciousness is a human instinct that we have forgotten. This has been in China for thousands of years, but due to the rapid development of science and technology in China in recent decades, it has lost a large part of its ancient knowledge. However, due to the rapid development of science and technology in recent decades, because our ego can control our dreams, our subconscious can accept us or have a place for self-awareness to rest without having to deal with the outside world. It should be emphasized that we have forgotten this skill for many years, and self-awareness and subconsciousness need to be adapted so many people find it hard to learn.

redbeard

Postby redbeard » 01 Feb 2018 16:48

Hey! Are you saying that the unconscious might not be alarmed by the presence of the conscious in the dream world, as they serve different functions??

zchxcy1

Postby zchxcy1 » 07 Mar 2018 11:58

Yes, I think so, because it has been around for a long time, and the information I collect is sufficient to prove its stability and comprehensiveness, and they get along well with each other.

Vivian+

Postby Vivian+ » 08 May 2018 06:24

I agree with you, just think so.

Return to “Dream Science”