Possible to dream about being lucid?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
insideman34

Possible to dream about being lucid?

Postby insideman34 » 04 Jun 2011 18:44

Hi, I was just wondering...is it possible to dream that your are lucid in your dream but in actuality you are not lucid? Thanks for any help!

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Possible to dream about being lucid?

Postby Rebecca » 05 Jun 2011 07:53

Yes, it is possible... and always frustrating when you wake up and realize afterwards! ;)

Usually it's a result of the concept of lucidity filtering into your dreams as a dream theme or symbol, just like anything you experience during your waking day. However it may not necessarily trigger the realization that you're dreaming -- for that you really need a jolt of self-awareness or rational logic.

But I still think it's a good sign when it does happen, because it proves your subconscious is taking in the idea of lucid dreaming. It proves it has meaning to you, and that is important for incubating lucid dreams.

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 08 Jun 2011 03:13

Rebecca wrote:But I still think it's a good sign when it does happen, because it proves your subconscious is taking in the idea of lucid dreaming. It proves it has meaning to you, and that is important for incubating lucid dreams.

I agree!

It's a funny thing when it happens. You wake up and it's like, "oh, I just had a dream about lucid dreaming, but I didn't realize it was a dream! D'oh!"

Ancient

Postby Ancient » 11 Jun 2011 00:55

But wouldn't the very nature of lucid dreaming make this impossible? If you dreaming that you go to sleep and dream, and become aware of that dream, would you not then be experiencing lucid dreaming? Because by definition, lucid dreaming is being aware that you are in a dream. Therefore, even if it was not the 'original dream', you would still be lucid.

I've never experienced this, so I can't back it up with personal knowledge, but it just doesn't seem possible to me. I know I've dreamed about the topic of lucid dreaming, but I have never had dreams about actually being lucid.
Tool
Sleep
Portal
Gojira
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Am I Dreaming?--------------------------------------------------------- ?gnimaerD I mA

luckee

Postby luckee » 11 Jun 2011 01:41

Ancient wrote:But wouldn't the very nature of lucid dreaming make this impossible? If you dreaming that you go to sleep and dream, and become aware of that dream, would you not then be experiencing lucid dreaming? Because by definition, lucid dreaming is being aware that you are in a dream. Therefore, even if it was not the 'original dream', you would still be lucid.

I've never experienced this, so I can't back it up with personal knowledge, but it just doesn't seem possible to me. I know I've dreamed about the topic of lucid dreaming, but I have never had dreams about actually being lucid.

When you ever experience a false awakening you'll understand it more clearly. During a false awakening you're completely aware, and sense everything vividly. You wake up in your bed room, but the illusions are more subtle because of this strong believe that this is really your bedroom. Even the slightest idea that something is wrong and the whole bedroom becomes a nightmare in an instant. The dream is lucid, but you're not sure if you're dreaming exactly because it is so lucid. The joy from lucid dreams comes from this vividness combined with the acceptance of all the illusions and control over our realities and we tend to only call those joyful experienes lucid, and all neutral or fearful lucid experiences regular dreams...

We might become lucid during the day aswell, but this only gives us mental stabiltiy and control over our mental illusions. Even during the day being lucid does not automaticly translate into awareness over the illusions and control over them, you still have to recognize the illusions in your life.

A dream yogists knows that the illusions come from within, a regular person would seek the illusions externally. During my first false awakening I was extremely fearful. As I ran away from the darkness, I turned around and faced my fears, only to bring light to all the darkness behind me when I couragiously walked towards my irrational fears. I just discovered that my fears were irrational, not that the darkness itself was an illusion... Changing this illusion, the perception changed. Changing my perception, reality changed. Nothing is external, everything is internal. Even during the day, everything is internal. We do not experience from the outside. Our experiences are limited to our filters, which are our senses and believes. The moment we become lucid we usually expect good things, thats why realities change. It is not that the dreams are diffrent, your perception of it is diffrent and in dreams when your perception changes, everything externally changes aswell. That is why lucid dreaming is so enlightening.

One day you look at the sun and enjoy the warmth on your skin, the other day you try to avoid the sun and seek water... The sun has not changed, the illusions lie within.

What I think the topic creator means is dreaming about: walking in your dream and thinking about the concept of lucid dreamig, yet not even recognizing that you are in a dream! And yes... This is 100% possible and common. As I said, the illusions cannot be found externally all the time. One cannot depend on it. You must first be more aware and change perceptions to witness that diffrent realities are possible. Every recognition of illusion will bring you closer to peace.

Ancient

Postby Ancient » 22 Jun 2011 06:32

I've had false awakenings, but they have all been dreaming about waking up, which does not quite seem to be what you're talking about.

I have also had dreams in which I thought about lucid dreaming and not become lucid, but I have never had a dream in which I dreamed that I was lucid dreaming.

I think TS is talking about the latter, not the former.
Tool
Sleep
Portal
Gojira
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Am I Dreaming?--------------------------------------------------------- ?gnimaerD I mA

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”