Swing shift at the dream factory?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
fineganswaker

Swing shift at the dream factory?

Postby fineganswaker » 10 Jun 2011 20:22

Question: Do there tend to be natural cycles to dream vividness--especially for rookie oineronauts?

Just working on dream recall right now. My current experience is that I'll go for a few days with very vivid dreams, where I can recall two, three, or even more of them easily not only upon waking, but even later on during the day (a nice perk for journaling). Then perhaps a week (or even more) will go by with, well, nothing. During these spells when I wake up and try to recall any dreaming, all I can remember is a lot of static, or just a few slushy dream images that are disjointed with absolutely no narrative to them at all.

Nothing seems to kickstart vivid dreaming on this side of the cycle. Practicing relaxation, MILD and WILD techniques; meditating daily, WBTB--all these efforts are thwarted. I have to admit that it's a little frustrating--I even tried smoking some mugwort last night (long story: the witch doctor at our local herbatorium recommended it--cough, cough).

Just wondering if any others have experienced this, and what you might have done to break the cycle. Or, again, is this a fairly typical experience that tends to correct itself as you become more practiced?

Peter

Re: Swing shift at the dream factory?

Postby Peter » 10 Jun 2011 22:42

remembering dreams will come and go, I normally remember most dreams ( i use 5 + as an indication of a normal amount) but have days when I wont remember any and then it will occur to me at some stage of the day that an event nagging at my mind was a dream. so dont sweat and dwell on the ones that you do remember.

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 11 Jun 2011 00:31

Thanks, Peter. Good advice.

Wow, 5+, I'm nowhere near that! More like 2+ on a good night, and lately I've been batting 0.

Interesting what you write about remembering them later in the day. When the dreams are vivid, I've gotten into the habit of just naming them on waking (if I turned on a light and started fishing around for a pencil my wife would kill me). Often later that day something will jog the name loose, and then I can start threading things back from there.

The naming technique still needs work, but it's promising--and seems to work best if I stay awake for at least a few minutes and really drill the name into my head, linking it to the dream's strongest event(s).

It's actually based on a memory trick I learned in a class years ago. If you need/want to remember some detail (like a person's name), affix it to some wildly crazy image. Here, it's just kind of the reverse...

Anyway, thanks again for the response.

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Jun 2011 02:40

that association for remembering works great and the more vivid the image you create the easier. Interesting thing is that after creating the image to bring back memory you often dont need the image to get the memory back. Its a a skill devloped by doing, like getting fit for a sport.

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”