Can You Lucid Dream Without The Chance of Sleep Paralysis?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Snipes

Can You Lucid Dream Without The Chance of Sleep Paralysis?

Postby Snipes » 23 May 2012 17:50

Hello,

I'm new to the whole lucid dreaming thing, but it sounds really interesting and I'd like to experience it. I was really excited until I learned about Sleep Paralysis, waking up and possibly seeing freaky things in your room or figures trying to kill you and this started to change my mind. Found it interesting that most articles about lucid dreaming don't seem to mention this. I've read that Sleep Paralysis seems to occur mostly with WILD technique, since I'm new I'm not planning on going that route, I wanted to just go the MILD route (I guess it's referred to) I've started a dream journal and started doing reality checks throughout the day, looking at my hands and looking at the clock and asking myself if I'm dreaming. My question is will I run into Sleep Paralysis episodes attempting to have lucid dreams this route (which would be where I'm already asleep and dreaming than I realize I'm dreaming)?

I understand that Sleep Paralysis hallucinations are all in your mind and there's nothing to be afraid of but I'd like to steer clear of them if possible, at least until I get comfortable with all this, it's easy to say don't worry about it when you've experienced it, it's harder to feel that when everything you read about it seems to have the words "extreme fear" "extreme terror". So is the reality check system the best way to avoid Sleep Paralysis? I also sleep on my side which I've read is less likely to cause you to wake up with Sleep Paralysis than those who sleep on their back. I know some people enjoy the feeling and will try to tell me not to worry about it, but I'd prefer to avoid it if at all possible at this time.

torakrubik

Re: Can You Lucid Dream Without The Chance of Sleep Paralysi

Postby torakrubik » 23 May 2012 21:12

Of course, the MILD technique won't induce sleep paralysis. That doesn't mean to say it won't occur purely by chance though.
Dreaming is my drug

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 23 May 2012 21:17

I've never experienced sleep paralysis during a lucid dream, with WILD or any other other technique although others have. I woke up once and was still in sleep paralysis but it was long before I even knew about lucid dreaming. As far as I know, most of the time sleep paralysis occurs during REM sleep so most of the time it is not experienced. During my lucid dreams I've had full movement of my "body" during which I was really wondering if my real body was moving, but this is why we have sleep paralysis so we can't move during dreams.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Shadow

Postby Shadow » 23 May 2012 21:21

Sleep paralysis is only a frightening experience if you believe it is going to be. If you wake up not able to move you would naturally freak out and assume the worst. I used to have horrible experiences until i learned what was really happening. Sleep paralysis is actually relaxing.

Snipes

Postby Snipes » 23 May 2012 22:17

Thanks for the replies. The idea of hallucinations really freak me out more than the not being able to move, or maybe it's the combination. But I've read some people don't have the hallucinations. Would these sleep masks drain out hallucinations or are your eyes usually closed when they happen and your just seeing them in your mind and not visually? I understand how I should react, my fear is will I remember it if it ever happens.

Have those of you who've had hallucinations had sleep issues in the past, or woken up with sleep paralysis without lucid dreaming. I wonder if there's links to hallucinations and sleep history, because it's odd that not all people experience it. I had a couple night terrors when I was really really young, but since then I've had no problems sleeping. And I always sleep on my side and usually drink water before bed, which I've read is good and helps to prevent such sleep issues.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 24 May 2012 01:10

Yes, definitely. You never have to ever experience sleep paralysis.
99.9% of my lucid/astral experiences never have sleep paralysis.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 May 2012 01:40

Snipes wrote:Thanks for the replies. The idea of hallucinations really freak me out more than the not being able to move, or maybe it's the combination. But I've read some people don't have the hallucinations. Would these sleep masks drain out hallucinations or are your eyes usually closed when they happen and your just seeing them in your mind and not visually? I understand how I should react, my fear is will I remember it if it ever happens.

Hallucinations are definitely part of the process, especially with the WILD technique, but I think most people are past the hallucinations stage if they even experience SP so the two don't occur together.

A sleep mask shouldn't make any difference because you are creating the images in your mind, not actually seeing them with your eyes. You have the ability to create any experience or sense with your mind. For me, that's the most amazing part about lucid dreams, the completeness of the reality you can create. The thing about hallucinating is that it can be disorienting and frightening. But if that's the case, you can work on that and prepare yourself mentally. Once you get comfortable with hallucinating, it's really interesting what you see. I have done WILDs where I slowed down the process and went in and out of HI for what seemed like hours.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Snipes

Postby Snipes » 24 May 2012 02:10

Ryan wrote:Yes, definitely. You never have to ever experience sleep paralysis.
99.9% of my lucid/astral experiences never have sleep paralysis.

Any tips you can share on how you don't experience it, or is it you just never have?

lucidinthe sky wrote:Hallucinations are definitely part of the process, especially with the WILD technique, but I think most people are past the hallucinations stage if they even experience SP so the two don't occur together.

Sounds like you're saying those who have these hallucinations where they're awake and see something in their room trying to strangle them and they can't move aren't having them because they are attempting to lucid dream, or coming out of one but having them for other reasons, am I correct? That would make some sense because a majority comments I've found by people seem to just have it as a sleep disordered linked to something else and not because they're attempting lucidity. But if you're using the MILD technique using the reality checks it's less likely you'll experience hallucinations such as these correct? Unless you're wanting to in your dream, I guess.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 24 May 2012 02:48

[
Hi Snipes. to dream have hypnagogia or hallucination that brain needs to be in a theta wave state, partially or wholely. Rem muscle atonia happens only just before REM dreams, Before one gets there one normally passes through NREM dreams and delta or dreamless sleep (no delta sleep when WILDING is normal). The SP experience usually happens to insomniacs and those who have had their sleep interrupted and returned to sleep. If you sleep when tired and don't just lie in bed trying to you should never experience SP. Hypnagogia with your eyes open usually happens when one transitions out of sleep to quickly, you can avoid it if you just think for half a minute or so before opening your eyes as that should speed up your brain taking you out of theta. Example: this is a fairly typical one. I woke out of delta sleep and a couple seconds later opened my eyes an saw an alien organ made out of green light for just a second. Rather than being scary it was rather interesting like most hypnagogic or hypnopomic images. The old hag experience also is somewhat rare even for those experiencing SP. No one can tell you you will not experience an SP experience combine with an old hag experience, but most likely you will not.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Snipes

Postby Snipes » 24 May 2012 05:10

Snaggle wrote:[
Hi Snipes. to dream have hypnagogia or hallucination that brain needs to be in a theta wave state, partially or wholely. Rem muscle atonia happens only just before REM dreams, Before one gets there one normally passes through NREM dreams and delta or dreamless sleep (no delta sleep when WILDING is normal). The SP experience usually happens to insomniacs and those who have had their sleep interrupted and returned to sleep. If you sleep when tired and don't just lie in bed trying to you should never experience SP. Hypnagogia with your eyes open usually happens when one transitions out of sleep to quickly, you can avoid it if you just think for half a minute or so before opening your eyes as that should speed up your brain taking you out of theta. Example: this is a fairly typical one. I woke out of delta sleep and a couple seconds later opened my eyes an saw an alien organ made out of green light for just a second. Rather than being scary it was rather interesting like most hypnagogic or hypnopomic images. The old hag experience also is somewhat rare even for those experiencing SP. No one can tell you you will not experience an SP experience combine with an old hag experience, but most likely you will not.

Thanks for the information, that has helped put my mind at ease, I'm a pretty sound sleeper and have never suffered from any short of disorder in the past so that info is good to know. Thinking about it probably doesn't help so I'll go think about something happy and hopefully have happy dreams! Looking forward to eventually having a lucid dream. It will be nice to be able to control my dreams instead of having the same sort of dreams, it's amazing I still have dreams about school and forgetting to study for a test or not doing a project and I wake up and realize that was a dream and I haven't been in school for almost a decade!

Return to “For Beginners”