Advice On Dream Recall?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
whimsylaurel

Advice On Dream Recall?

Postby whimsylaurel » 24 May 2012 03:42

Hey Guys,
So I'm brand new to this forum, and a beginner lucid dreamer. I have been attempting lucid dreaming for the past few months,and I have only twice had a few brief seconds of success, so I'm hoping this forum will really help me in getting back into my old LD-inducing habits and give me some really good advice too! (I find that I learn best from other people, next to personal experience of course :D )

Now, cutting to the chase; I have been having a bit of an issue with dream recall, and that has me really concerned, since I'm used to keeping a dream journal. I'm not sure where the real root cause of my problem is, whether it be because I just started up trying to lucid dream again, or whether it's because I'm sleep deprived (I sleep about 7-8 hours every night because of school, when I should really be sleeping 9-10. Thankfully, freshman year ends in two days, WOOT!), or because I'm listening to binaural beats right before bed—I honestly don't know.

To take care of this problem, last night I tried a combination of Rebecca's WBTB 90-minute technique and listening to just soft piano music (that always tends to have a very calming effect on me). My alarm only woke up twice during the night though (I blame crappy earbuds), but thankfully I was able to remember a lot of the final dream that I had as opposed to the first one I woke up from. However, I would really like to remember more dreams at night, any suggestions? Tonight, I'm gonna do the same thing, but just take out the earbuds, and see if that helps. Please reply if you have any advice at all. Thanks in advance! :)
"Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn’t want to live there." ~Owl City

"Never regret. If it is good, it is wonderful. If it is bad, it is experience ." ~Anonymous

dreamerinmiami

Re: Advice On Dream Recall?

Postby dreamerinmiami » 24 May 2012 13:27

One technique that has really worked for me is having a dream journal.. ever since i have done this i remember atleast 3 a night and my dreams are alot more vivid.. It also helps in remembering dreams from years ago, they just pop up during the day. have a dream journal and pen near your bed and whenever u wake write down anything you remember.. hope this helps 8-)

p.s. be persistent in writing your dreams.
What is your definition of reality?

whimsylaurel

Re: Advice On Dream Recall?

Postby whimsylaurel » 25 May 2012 02:53

dreamerinmiami wrote:One technique that has really worked for me is having a dream journal.. ever since i have done this i remember atleast 3 a night and my dreams are alot more vivid.. It also helps in remembering dreams from years ago, they just pop up during the day. have a dream journal and pen near your bed and whenever u wake write down anything you remember.. hope this helps 8-)

p.s. be persistent in writing your dreams.

Thank you so much for the advice! I'll admit, I really need to be more persistent with my dream journaling, though I have been improving in that area over the past few days. I guess I'll just have to keep it up. :) and you're right, it's really cool to look back at dreams you had a long time ago, and one of my favorite things to do as well is look for recurring dream themes and symbolism....very insightful. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out! <3
"Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn’t want to live there." ~Owl City

"Never regret. If it is good, it is wonderful. If it is bad, it is experience ." ~Anonymous

Celerity

Memory aids besides journaling?

Postby Celerity » 03 Jun 2012 23:27

I could also benefit from this type of advice. I have only been reading this website/thinking about lucid dreaming for 3 days, but I have been keeping a dream journal for months. Almost every morning I wake up and write down every detail of my dream I can, no matter how small.
I usually remember what I was dreaming about when I woke up, but is there a way to remember earlier dreams without waking up in every REM phase?

Return to “For Beginners”