Lucid dreams - side effects?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
TheDaVinci

Lucid dreams - side effects?

Postby TheDaVinci » 25 May 2012 16:28

Hello there. I have been viewing this site for a while and it was extremely intersting for me. I actually had my first lucid dream a few days ago. It was unintentional. I was taking a nap during the day when in my dream something(not sure what) made me decide that this is a dream. In that moment everything became so damn vivid. The first thing that came in mind to me was to climb walls like spiderman(childish, i know :D).
Then I wanted to try this sexy-time in dreams.. Guess who I summoned? Scarlett Johansson! Lucid condition continued about 3-5 minutes then with the star in my dream I got so excited that I woke up. When taking that nap I didn't even want to have lucid dream at all. It just happened.
This is my story. I kind of get scared of the over excitment felt in the dream. I have a few (maybe extra superstitious) frends who keep telling me it is dangerous and it can lead to bad side effects. So that is pretty much my question? Is there any side effects that lucid dreams(or nightmares) can lead to? Maybe I'm beeng a fool for listening to them but I'm still curious. Friends tell me that some dark energy can turn me into a pshyco make me mentally sick, others are afraid of stucking into a dream which i know that shouldnt be possible. But can it really make me some kind of mentally sick? Like having a hard time to figure out which is dream and reality or some nightmare that can lead me to bad psyhical injuries? I'm probably talking rubbish here but still let me know if something like that is possible or I'm just being paranoic?

//Sorry if my english is bad, not my native language.

torakrubik

Re: Lucid dreams - side effects?

Postby torakrubik » 25 May 2012 23:33

As long as you're sensible about it, nothing bad should happen. Things that aren't sensible would be taking certain drugs to enhance your dreams (some are safe, others are questionable). As for nightmares, you may experience SP which can be scary if you panic. Apart from that, LDing is safe :)
Dreaming is my drug

TheDaVinci

Postby TheDaVinci » 26 May 2012 01:17

Well the reason I gave up from the Lucid dreams(for now) is SP. When I heard about it, it really scared the crap out of me and I decided to stop trying for a while untill i get the courage. But when my first lucid dream happend without my intention I decided that maybe I should give it a try.
Another question: Does SP happen to every lucid dreamer and is there anyway to avoid it?

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 26 May 2012 06:06

TheDaVinci wrote:Well the reason I gave up from the Lucid dreams(for now) is SP. When I heard about it, it really scared the crap out of me and I decided to stop trying for a while untill i get the courage. But when my first lucid dream happend without my intention I decided that maybe I should give it a try.
Another question: Does SP happen to every lucid dreamer and is there anyway to avoid it?

SP is rare to start with, the old hag with it is extremely rare. Don't expect to experience it unless you already have. In a DILD like the one you had it's close to certain one will not experience it.

It's not possible to become permanently stuck in a dream or if it is no one knows it is except the one in their dream coma. Having decades of experience of LD I would bet it's impossible. It is, however possible to get stuck in an emotionally intense vivid and lucid nightmare and possible to die because of the adrenaline overdose, but again I've been stuck in them and am not a ghost typing :D DILDs which you're most likely to experience have no risk of this though. Your friends are just being ignorant ninnies. It's always a dumb idea to have opinions on something one has neither studies or experienced.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

TheDaVinci

Postby TheDaVinci » 26 May 2012 10:11

So even if I get stuck in some super vivid lucid nightmare and get scared I might die for real in the real life becouse of the adrenalin? Is this what you are saying or I just miss understood? If this is what you mean.. oh, man, I ain't sleeping anymore :D . I get kind of sensitive on the nightmares and things like that and thats why I'm so curious.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 26 May 2012 10:32

TheDaVinci wrote:So even if I get stuck in some super vivid lucid nightmare and get scared I might die for real in the real life becouse of the adrenalin? Is this what you are saying or I just miss understood? If this is what you mean.. oh, man, I ain't sleeping anymore :D . I get kind of sensitive on the nightmares and things like that and thats why I'm so curious.

It's actually his idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_A._Samuels the rest of the people here will tell you it's impossible quoting Stephen LaBerge, even though he's not even a medical doctor and has not studied sudden and mysterious deaths. I should add that you could also choke to death on the next bite of food you eat and suddenly die in hundreds of ways. I don't think your chances of dying in a lucid nightmare are any greater than dying from that next bite of food, but life is uncertain. I might die before posting this message :D
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

TheDaVinci

Postby TheDaVinci » 26 May 2012 11:04

Ah, it would've been better if I didn't know this theory :D:D. Still i think the chances are to little to hold me back from the lucid dreaming adventure. I will keep trying, hope I end up alive xD.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”