Making my voice recording....

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
marciano999

Making my voice recording....

Postby marciano999 » 28 May 2012 02:20

Hello! im been into lucid dreaming thing for a few weeks now and i wanted to know, if i do record my voice saying "I am dreaming" or something like that, intervals like 3-5 mins i dont know maybe less mayme more, and i put the recording before going to sleep and let it run until i wake up, would that help to induce lucid dreams? Any information will help. Thanks :D

Tom.H

Re: Making my voice recording....

Postby Tom.H » 28 May 2012 21:40

Actually this sounds a lot like a Tibetan Buddhist practise: When the monks where sleeping then they would have a monk whisper in the ear of the sleeper that they were dreaming. And the Tibetans have practised lucid dreaming for a long time, so I guess that they know what they are doing.

I heard of it in a interview with Stephen Laberge, it works since the senses can still pick up stimuli from the environment while you are sleeping and incorporate it into the dream. How it will be represented in your dream is another question. For example, Laberge developed a device that used that same principle, called the nova dreamer, that would blink a light that was strong enough that the sleeper could see it behind his eyelids but faint enough so the sleeper would not wake up. However it was represented by dream symbols, not just a blinking light. For example, the ones using the device could see a photographer flashing away with his camera, or a car blinking its headlights. So it might not be a voice calling out to you that you are dreaming but rather a representation of hearing that you are dreaming.

What I am trying to say is that I think it is a great idea! It will also remind you during the night of your intention to remember that you are dreaming, so it will also help you in that way. However the only way to truly know if it works for you is to try it, so I say go for it! :)

I think saying it every 5-7 minutes should suffice, any more frequent and it risks turning it something annoying. Maybe put some soothing music or binaural beats in between, if you can sleep to music that is.

reynaldi

Postby reynaldi » 30 May 2012 12:12

but, can we HEAR that music in our dream?
my brother whispered me while i was sleeping.. but i hear nothing T.T (i was dreaming though)
sorry for my english..

Tom.H

Postby Tom.H » 05 Jun 2012 11:11

reynaldi wrote:but, can we HEAR that music in our dream?
my brother whispered me while i was sleeping.. but i hear nothing T.T (i was dreaming though)

From what I have heard no, it incorporates the music into the dream by using symbols. For example listening to medieval music may make you dream about the middle ages or something related to it, while listening to classical music can make you dream about being at a a concert.
So if you hear the phrase "you are dreaming" while asleep then you will not hear it as it is in the dream: however it may help give clues to the fact that you are dreaming. For example you may dream about reality checks or lucid dreaming in general, which can cause you to question if you really are awake and by doing so trigger lucidity.
Or at least, that is the theory :D

By the way, sorry for being so slow at answering, I had totally forgotten about this thread :(

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”