Is Spirituality meerly a coping mechanism?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Jack Reacher

Is Spirituality meerly a coping mechanism?

Postby Jack Reacher » 31 May 2012 02:26

I hope this topic doesn't come off as being too dark, but I think its an interesting philosophical question. To me it seems that a spiritual belief is a belief that is really based on a kind of faith, there is little scientific evidence that supports it but none that rejects it. In order to actually believe in a spiritual concept, you have to think of it in an irrational way, in other words believe in it simply because your intuition thinks its right.

So basically, are all spiritual practices really just coping mechanisms to briefly escape reality?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Re: Is Spirituality meerly a coping mechanism?

Postby Peter » 31 May 2012 03:21

Yip, to me they are belief systems and I dont want to be a part of them. When I express experiences and people tell me that they are deeply spiritual and so on I say not they are not. They are experiences and and that's all, I toss out belief systems like bad apples as fast as I can. Oh? is my ideal a belief system LOL
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

LucidKey13

Postby LucidKey13 » 31 May 2012 06:54

I like to keep my mind open to any possibilities! Thinking about it... Isn't being an atheist basically a belief system in itself as there is no solid proof to prove what happens when we die...

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
"Umbrella can’t stop the rain, But Make Us to stand in Rain.
Confidence May not bring success, But It gives a POWER to face any Challenge."

Peter

Postby Peter » 31 May 2012 07:35

Yes most likely but I dont believe or not believe as I put it in the terms of the fact that I feel any need to have an opinion either way so not in any camp at all
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

LucidKey13

Postby LucidKey13 » 31 May 2012 08:08

Yes, i think thats a good way to be, really :)

Peter

Postby Peter » 31 May 2012 08:43

its easy as I can explore and just wonder about things and change my mind as often as I want to

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 31 May 2012 10:43

Yeah I feel the same way, at the end of the day my actions have nothing to do with my spiritual beliefs at the time, I think its actually more healthy to find enjoyment in real things in life. Thats a good point about Atheism, you sort of have to have faith in that to believe in it right?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

LucidKey13

Postby LucidKey13 » 01 Jun 2012 11:43

Yup, but eitheir way it just depends how open you are and how strictly you follow your religion , i'm Christian but not a die hard Christian , i have faith in God and other views in the Catholic religion but I do act as my own person and am not influenced by strict Catholic "do's and dont's" that i think are irrelevant (if you know what i mean). I definitly still wonder about things, like different perceptions of reality, other lives, my faith does limit me, is what im trying to say! :)

Peter

Postby Peter » 01 Jun 2012 14:52

sounds like you have a healthy point of view and can make up you own mind about issues.

dreamerinmiami

Postby dreamerinmiami » 04 Jun 2012 12:47

Last edited by dreamerinmiami on 14 Jun 2013 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
What is your definition of reality?

Return to “Off-Topic”