Societal perceptions of Lucid Dreaming

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Summerlander

Re: Societal perceptions of Lucid Dreaming

Postby Summerlander » 22 Apr 2012 00:38

Rebecca, you are a star.xxx 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 25 Apr 2012 03:54

There's no way you can really describe an experience like lucid dreaming to someone who has never been there. You would have to take them with you to see for themselves because it' so much like going to a real place that exists and so much different from what a normal non-lucid dream is like. It's like the difference between watching a movie and being in the movie. It would be like trying to explain what it's like to be a human on Earth to some being from another planet where they and everything else exists as a gas and there is no solid matter, gravity, 5 senses, etc. How could you really tell them what it's like?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

fcamosse287

Postby fcamosse287 » 29 May 2012 23:12

This post is directed towards Rebecca's response to this scenario.

Hello my name is Fran and I have been practicing lucid dreaming over the past few months and have been interested in it for about a year now. I have some success with it and have had many conversations about this and have experienced the same reactions you are all speaking about. Although I have to ask you about once section of your response. See I am a devout Catholic and being that I went and spoke with my local priest and we had a discussion about lucid dreaming, and he did not see any harm in it. It did make way for some interesting thoughts and questions . . . Are you morally responsible in lucid dreams i.e. sin? We continually speak on this subject and we both find it quite fascinating. My comment to you is about the line that says (paraphrasing) "When you stop caring and questioning your life/reality and only listen to what is spoon fed to you by your religious leader, than you are not progressing." I am sorry if any of that was incorrect but I just wanted to enlighten you that we are out there. I am not going to write here that everyone in the church whom I have spoken about is okay with it but I feel you were grouping people together. It just seems like you were implying you can't be a Christian and Oneironaut. I do believe there are some boundaries that can be crossed and I believe it would make for a great discussion. I just wanted to make sure you know that I completely and utterly agree with you when you say those who stop questioning are not progressing! I am continually questioning with support of my Catholic community and I hope and pray other communities are the same way. Thank you for reading and look forward to your response.

Peace,
Fran

ygorvaz

Postby ygorvaz » 31 May 2012 04:01

fcamosse287 wrote:This post is directed towards Rebecca's response to this scenario.

Hello my name is Fran and I have been practicing lucid dreaming over the past few months and have been interested in it for about a year now. I have some success with it and have had many conversations about this and have experienced the same reactions you are all speaking about. Although I have to ask you about once section of your response. See I am a devout Catholic and being that I went and spoke with my local priest and we had a discussion about lucid dreaming, and he did not see any harm in it. It did make way for some interesting thoughts and questions . . . Are you morally responsible in lucid dreams i.e. sin? We continually speak on this subject and we both find it quite fascinating. My comment to you is about the line that says (paraphrasing) "When you stop caring and questioning your life/reality and only listen to what is spoon fed to you by your religious leader, than you are not progressing." I am sorry if any of that was incorrect but I just wanted to enlighten you that we are out there. I am not going to write here that everyone in the church whom I have spoken about is okay with it but I feel you were grouping people together. It just seems like you were implying you can't be a Christian and Oneironaut. I do believe there are some boundaries that can be crossed and I believe it would make for a great discussion. I just wanted to make sure you know that I completely and utterly agree with you when you say those who stop questioning are not progressing! I am continually questioning with support of my Catholic community and I hope and pray other communities are the same way. Thank you for reading and look forward to your response.

Peace,
Fran

I'm just here to agree with what he said :D
But I agree with rebecca too, there are some people that make just impossible to talk about those things.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 01 Jun 2012 01:45

Short answer: YES!

Long answer: YES! But why do people shut off and change the subject whenever I mention it to someone?... I don't know. It is either disbelief of something they don't understand or jealousy of something they don't understand. Either way, most people just don't understand and it is VERY hard to describe it in words. We can know about something, but to truly understand something, we need to experience it.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 01 Jun 2012 02:11

Jack Reacher wrote:Basically you rarely have conversations about dreams [probably because they are only interesting to the dreamer no matter how trippy they sound, honestly I generally dont find other peoples dreams interesting] because people just dont find that part of life relevant.

I agree. Dreams only have meaning to ourselves and it's boring to hear about others. I have some great dreams, but if I wrote them down for you to read... it would put you to sleep! (Hopefully in a lucid dream...)
Everybody dreams every night, but we just don't discuss it as much as we do about the small news stories, weather, or what a Kardashian is.... and all that insipid talk. And I told my cousin who is interested in lucid dreaming and had one once, "we spend half our lives asleep and it is the other side of the coin of our existence."
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

LucidKey13

Postby LucidKey13 » 01 Jun 2012 12:09

My friends and I often discuss our dreams, mainly if they are funny or if they feautured our dreamselves in them - it's more interesting hearing about someones dream if you feauture in it as you can see how you would act through someone elses mind and see their perception of you in given situations!
"Umbrella can’t stop the rain, But Make Us to stand in Rain.
Confidence May not bring success, But It gives a POWER to face any Challenge."

FriendlyLucid

Postby FriendlyLucid » 01 Jun 2012 18:30

LucidKey13 wrote:My friends and I often discuss our dreams, mainly if they are funny or if they feautured our dreamselves in them - it's more interesting hearing about someones dream if you feauture in it as you can see how you would act through someone elses mind and see their perception of you in given situations!

MY friend said I was in his dream and when he said something in his head his dream character who appeared as me said "haha I heard that" he ended up mentioning more things that made me understand how he viewed me from his perspective. It's pretty nice to find someone willing to share their dreams.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 01 Jun 2012 23:21

Obviously you can't get the same experience from simply hearing about other's dreams, but i think it's interesting to see how they compare.
Dreaming is my drug

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 Jun 2012 17:50

Lucid dreaming has been scientifically proven. Whoever is sceptical of lucid dreams needs to experience them and grow up.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”