THE DREAM MACHINE

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

THE DREAM MACHINE

Postby HAGART » 01 Jun 2012 02:37

I have seen some astounding innovations in science when it comes to integrating us humans with machines. I've seen people (and monkeys) with prostetic arms that they can control with their minds just by thinking about it. I saw a person who was paralyzed, make letters appear on a computer just be thinking of it.

If we can take brain waves and turn it into electrical impulses, can we save them in a computer data base or hard-drive or even a thumb-drive?

If so, than we are capable of recording dreams for others, (even ourselves) to view again.

BUT!

How would it be displayed and played back. A T.V. won't do. That is only visual and audio. And sometimes the visuals of a dream are vague at best and it was the FEELING that we had and knowing the MEANING behind everything that made the dream special. In order for someone else (or even ourselves again) to experience the dream is to hook our brains up directly to the machine that has the recording. Then anybody will experience the dream, see it, touch it, smell it, taste it, hear it, and most importantly FEEL THE EMOTION OF IT.

I still think a dream is only interesting to ourselves who dreamed it, but a technology like this could revolutionize dream journaling for ourselves that is for sure! And it may be science-fiction, but possible. What are your thoughts about it? Could it work?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

torakrubik

Re: THE DREAM MACHINE

Postby torakrubik » 01 Jun 2012 23:23

The hardest bit by far would be getting the 'feel' right. I don't see why not, but surely it would be fragmented, as we have 'gaps' in our dreams of no memory. Possible, but in my opinion, firmly locked in the future.
Dreaming is my drug

HAGART

Re: THE DREAM MACHINE

Postby HAGART » 04 Jun 2012 07:34

Yea the feel is the hardest.
If one were to wear a device to experience a dream (whether your own or someone else's) they would have to be in a different state of mind to receive it. Perhaps deep meditation. But then the person may start to have their own dream and it will conflict with the other one. Their mind that creates dreams would have to be supressed. It may work when someone is hypnotized, but then they may not remember the dream after awakening. You can watch video and audio on a television, but that is not the entire dream experience.

I like to think about things like this and every little detail of hypothetical creations.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”