Societal perceptions of Lucid Dreaming

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Ryan

Re: Societal perceptions of Lucid Dreaming

Postby Ryan » 02 Jun 2012 19:51

Summerlander wrote:Lucid dreaming has been scientifically proven. Whoever is sceptical of lucid dreams needs to experience them and grow up.

Just pointing out, however, that the nature of the experience is beyond science's grasp to explain.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Jun 2012 23:44

I disagree. I think one day science will be able to explain all conscious experience...but never mind.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Jun 2012 05:05

That's true, summerlander, that science could explain 'all conscious experience', but it takes the fun out of life. We humans love mysteries and magic don't we. Existence (and dreams) are still mysterious to me. I can't enjoy a magic act if I know how the girl is sawed in half and the tiger mysteriously appears in a cage under a blanket. I wouldn't clap my hands in awe anymore. (and magicians would go out of business...)

But maybe knowing all the 'conscious experience' is our next evolutionary step. It's what we get for being so curious as humans. We may, as a result, become something greater however.

In other words I agree with both you and Ryan.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 05 Jun 2012 21:25

Rebecca wrote:One of the best things I've found about getting older is you and your peers get wiser, and you can have proper discussion of these things. I love when I see teenagers on these boards introducing meaningful topics. You already struck a chord with me. I hope you stick around 8-)

So would that be a "C" chord or an "Am" chord? :D

In all seriousness (Hoping I'm one of these people) I just like to be a part of things. I don't come to these forums much, because I know (And am good friends with) two natural LD'rs and one of my friends is also into it. It's not like yoyos (For me). I am exceptionally good at yoyoing. I post on multiple forums regularly because I don't have any contact with other yoyoers.

Anyways, I find that about 10% of people don't believe you. About 5% can already LD. About 40% don't ask questions and about 45% ask at least 1 question.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 06 Jun 2012 00:35

HAGART wrote:That's true, summerlander, that science could explain 'all conscious experience', but it takes the fun out of life. We humans love mysteries and magic don't we. Existence (and dreams) are still mysterious to me. I can't enjoy a magic act if I know how the girl is sawed in half and the tiger mysteriously appears in a cage under a blanket. I wouldn't clap my hands in awe anymore. (and magicians would go out of business...)

But maybe knowing all the 'conscious experience' is our next evolutionary step. It's what we get for being so curious as humans. We may, as a result, become something greater however.

Sometimes I think people put too much faith in "science". :)
I honestly don't think it'll ever have the answers for it.

At least, not the "sciences" which we know today. They'll have to evolve significantly... along with the opinions and perceptions of those who use it. LoL
Or join my forums!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Jun 2012 13:05

HAGART wrote:That's true, summerlander, that science could explain 'all conscious experience', but it takes the fun out of life. We humans love mysteries and magic don't we. Existence (and dreams) are still mysterious to me. I can't enjoy a magic act if I know how the girl is sawed in half and the tiger mysteriously appears in a cage under a blanket. I wouldn't clap my hands in awe anymore. (and magicians would go out of business...)

You make a good point there! 8-)

@ Ryan:

Considering how much progress we have made in the last century or so, how can we not have faith in science? Some people have faith that the Messiah will return, or that the world will end this year, or that penis enlargement pumps work...
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

7gatesofdrmg

Postby 7gatesofdrmg » 11 Jun 2012 02:37

Society has created massive amounts of waste and poverty, greed, corruption, carelessness. It all comes from the illusion of separation between us. I'm not surprised people think its "weird" or whatever. And quite frankly I could care less if they do. An interest in Lucid dreaming means you are on a deeper spiritual path than most people...you are awesome and unique for following your own passions no matter how "bizarre" it seems to others!

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 11 Jun 2012 23:41

Summerlander wrote:@ Ryan:

Considering how much progress we have made in the last century or so, how can we not have faith in science? Some people have faith that the Messiah will return, or that the world will end this year, or that penis enlargement pumps work...

Well, honestly... science has made great strides, but we don't really have anything to measure it against. We don't know if the strides we're making ARE that great.

I think it's very telling that since Quantum Mechanics came around in the early 1900's... not much more headway has been made since then.

It'll definitely be interesting to see where we go in the next couple centuries. Personally, I think science is in for a big change soon-ish. :)
Or join my forums!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Jun 2012 11:26

"Quantum mechanics is weird, but not weird enough to allow a grain of sand to hop unaided out of a matchbox."

- Brian Cox

- Padmasambhava

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 12 Jun 2012 23:39

PHEW!!! Don't I know what you guys are on about! You'd think lucid dreaming was illegal the way I keep it so secretive from most people!

I've often tested the water to see how people would react saying something like... "WOW! I had a really crazy dream last night!"

If they show an interest I'll say a bit more until they're on my wavelength! But, I really do feel like I have to tread carefully so I don't sound too much like a freak!

It can also be embarrassing trying to tell some people what you wanna do in a lucid dream, cos lets face it, most people have only one thing on their mind when they get lucid, and it's not football!!!

For me, an even bigger problem I've had over the years has been trying to do reality checks in public. I'm in a pub and feel like everybody's looking at me so I don't wanna be trying to put my hand through the wall or pinch my nose etc!

Happy dreaming!

Paul

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”