Music Induced

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Bey-Heart

Music Induced

Postby Bey-Heart » 05 Jun 2012 02:09

I'm interested in trying to use music to cause lucid dreams. Is this possible at all?

It is proven that external factors affect our dreams, such as somebody turning the lights on, shining lasers in our eyes, or sticking your hands in water. So, is it proven that music can cause lucid dreams? If normal external factors affect our dreams everyday, I don't see why music wouldn't be able to make us realize we're dreaming. It's similar to using Isochronic Tones, but different at the same time.

But if we can use music to cause lucid dreams, the remaining question is what type of music? Would any music, such as Maroon 5, and Coldplay, or Neon Trees work? Or are we going to have to listen to something light hearted like Yiruma? Or maybe something like Escala?

If this hasn't been proven yet, would some of you guys be willing to try it?

Peter

Re: Music Induced

Postby Peter » 05 Jun 2012 03:12

It should work and is worth a try. I used an iPod in one ear and an iPhone in the other to get two sets of music as an experiment and that night had a nice long lucid dream
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 05 Jun 2012 03:41

I don't think it's likely, but worth worth trying. PS don't shine laser's in people's eyes (it causes eye damage).You also left out one of the better pranks one can do to the sleeping-tormenting people with a piece of string while they're sleeping. When one touches someones face with a piece of string they react just like a fly was tormenting them. When we were doing this to my best friend's older brother he slapped himself extremely hard :twisted: :D
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Bey-Heart

Postby Bey-Heart » 05 Jun 2012 22:19

@Snaggle - Why don't you seem to think it's possible? There are so many ways to lucid dream, and I don't think this has even been properly tested yet.

@Peter - That's very interesting. I might try that, if I have to. Although I'm more interested in just using one song at a time, and not two. :P

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Jun 2012 02:27

Yes you can try that, the reason I was trying two at once and I also have a set of headphones on with an audio book playing was that I read an article that talked about new music as be learned as it is heard for the first time so if I have two players going the mix is new and this should produce dopamine and assist with a lucid dream. I have no idea if it is correct but it was cool to try and for whatever reason I had a lucid that night.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 06 Jun 2012 05:16

Bey-heart it might work, but there are logistical problems with doing it.

1. Can you time the music to line up with when you're REM dreaming? If not it would either most likely be ignored by your sleeping self or turned into normal dream sounds or images.

2. If you listen to the music you're using to trigger lucidity often it's much more likely to be ignored and this would likely be an ongoing problem with any music you listen to.

It's worth trying...so do it and see. One should never listen to people telling you "it can't be done". We would not even have caves and clubs if our ancestors did that.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Bey-Heart

Postby Bey-Heart » 06 Jun 2012 23:07

In that case, maybe I should try sleeping to the radio, this way I can ensure that it's not the same music every time. Or I could try the idea above, and use two different songs at once. I will find a way to make this work....

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 14 Jun 2012 11:51

I've been into lucid dreaming since 1998 and have tried countless experiments with audio-type things such as music and messages etc. I'd try an idea for a few weeks and then move onto another one. Maybe a few weeks isn't long enough and needs to be much longer? Dream experimentation is really slow going cos what works one night won't work the next. One night you shut your eyes and instantly see hypnagogic imagery, the next, it just won't appear no matter how hard you try.

Anyway, one of my many crazy ideas was to play a piece of music several times a day and do reality checks all the way through it. Then after about 100 plays, play it during the night at some point and with any luck it'll make you do reality checks because of the association you've got with it.

The piece of music would have to be something that you're not too familiar with so it doesn't make you think of something else. I don't know about you, but many pieces of music make me think of events that were happening when I first heard it.

Like I said I've experimented quite a bit with this idea, but not stuck with it so I can't really say whether it would work or not. BUT... What we need in this game is lots of different ideas to keep us interested so add this one to the list!

Happy dreaming!

Paul

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”