The reality of reality checks

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Beethoven

The reality of reality checks

Postby Beethoven » 11 Jun 2012 21:22

Hello!

Like I said in my last post I've been into lucid dreaming since 1998 and due to my obsessive nature have pretty much exhausted a lot of different techniques and strategies.

I used to have lots of ld's years ago but they gradually dried up.

A lot of my success came from doing extreme things which often went against a lot of stuff written by people in the know.

Now, I'm not knocking these people. But, I feel that a lot of the same ideas and techniques etc. are just being copied without any real proof???

I'm really determined to find the ultimate lucidity inducing formula mixing ideas which kinda worked for me in the past. And you may be surprised to hear about the lengths I went to have lots of ld's sometimes all night long!

I'm gonna risk sounding like an idiot now for what I'm gonna say about reality checks BUT I mean well, and I would love to know whether the following techniques have worked for anybody. There's a good chance a lot of my frustrations are coming out here cos I feel like I've worked really hard for little pay!

I spent months looking at my hands, counting my fingers etc. and as far as I'm aware never looked at them in a non lucid dream. I did when I was lucid to prolong the lucidity which worked quite well.

I spent months doing the nose pinching check and as far as I'm aware never did it in a dream.

I spent months flicking light switches on and off and as far as I'm aware never did it in a dream. Some people rave about this technique saying that switches don't work properly in dreams.

I spent months reading things more than once to see if it changed but surprise surprise it never did!

I do believe reality checking is a good thing cos it's good mind training, but I've kinda lost faith in a lot of the techniques that supposed to be flawless.

Happy dreaming!

Paul

Jack Reacher

Re: The reality of reality checks

Postby Jack Reacher » 11 Jun 2012 22:58

Yeah I never do them by accident either, and one time in a dream it was so weird I decided to try put my hand through my palm and it didnt work.

However having said that when I stopped doing reality checks I stopped getting lucid dreams, I think its good to keep you in the mindset for LDs.

Another However, I am beginning to think that the lucid dreaming mindset is such a good thing for extended periods of time. Its sort of like you are living a day dream really, I dont think one should sacrifice too much of the real life to become lucid in the dream world. Its best to do it in a cycling period.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 12 Jun 2012 09:32

Hi Jack, you did well to try and put your hand through your palm even though it didn't work. I was determined to do a reality check in a dream that I'd done zillions of times, but as far as I'm aware I've never done one???

Most of the time I never actually knew what made me lucid. I just found myself going into a kind of whirlpool that took me into lucidity land. Quite often there was nothing but blackness (my friend called this "the black void") and I had to will some scenery to appear which wasn't that difficult most of the time.

Phew! I agree with you about not sacrificing too much of the real life to become lucid cos it's highly frustrating when you're making SO much effort with little results. BUT... Lucid dreaming is SO addictive and I've known people to pretty much give up on real life just to wanna live in the lucid world. They'd have notes all around the house saying things like... "Is this a dream???"

What I wanted to do was spend a lot of a time trying to find out how to become lucid at will, and then relax and get on with my life knowing that I could become lucid at any time.

Phew! Dream on Paul!!!

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 13 Jun 2012 02:48

The one that's been working best for me lately is simply looking at my hands. If I'm dreaming, they melt.
Give it a shot, see if it does the same for you. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 13 Jun 2012 10:01

Hi Ryan. I have gone through many stages of studying my hands many times a day and as far as I'm aware never looked at them in a non lucid dream??? I might've done but just not realised it???

I looked at them during lucid dreams to prolong the lucidity. They usually looked a bit deformed, but can't recall them ever melting???

It's great how it's worked for you though, nice one!

Paul

SnorlaxDreamer

Postby SnorlaxDreamer » 18 Jun 2012 22:15

I went to have lots of ld's sometimes all night long!

I don't want to bash you, or anything BUT I think you know, that you only have REM sleep for 100 minutes. That means you can be having a lucid dream in 1 hour, and 40 minutes. It might feel like all night long, but I'm pretty sure it aren't.
- Now, I don't think the purpose of reality checks is to (when becoming lucid) to check if you really are in a dream! So when you've become lucid, you can give yourself an extra check by doing this reality check in the dream, and see if you're lucid or not. That's what I see reality checks as. Now I know the technic is different, but I've yet to read about succesfull reality checks. I've not done a reality check either. Only when I went to bed. Not in the dream.
"If I only could see you in my dreams, I would sleep all the time!" <3

Peter

Postby Peter » 19 Jun 2012 08:50

I don't want to bash you, or anything BUT I think you know, that you only have REM sleep for 100 minutes

i will throw a spanner in that one as I have had LD for 2 hours and 30 minutes as measured by a sleep monitor that records REM so a blanket statement suggesting a set max time does not cut it.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 24 Jun 2012 23:38

I've laid down for a nap mid day before and had many projections directly upon falling asleep. Does REM hit that fast?
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 25 Jun 2012 00:33

I have had 47 lucid dreams and a number of them RCs triggered lucidity so I for one know they can work. I also sometimes just spontaneously know. But for example a couple weeks ago I dreamed my son was severely injured in an accident. I remembered thinking please God I hope this is an LD! Did the nose pinch and really relieved to find it was a dream. Another time did an rc just as a normal check and REALLY surprised to find I was in a dream. So yeah, they can work.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 25 Jun 2012 01:25

Checking back, 9 out of 47 of my LDs wre due to doing an RC... not usually randomly but something made me wonder if I could be dreaming, but I was not thinking I was dreaming so it somewhat surprised me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”