What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

hydraex2

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby hydraex2 » 11 Jun 2012 23:26

For me, I personally believe that there is NO POINT in worrying about death. Death is a natural part of life. There is no avoiding it. We will all die, in time. If I worry about it, I just waste time living. As for religion, it and politics are usually no-no subjects. Best avoided. I don't think anyone here will change their mind off of what anyone says. Both science and religion are equally important: Science is human progress, while religion helps us do the right things. My church collects money to help the needy. I see that as a good, worthy cause.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 12 Jun 2012 01:34

hydraex2 wrote:As for religion, it and politics are usually no-no subjects. Best avoided. I don't think anyone here will change their mind off of what anyone says.

I think debate is important, and ultimately it can help people shape up their own views and question flaws in their philosophy. I'm certainly learning new things here. So if we all kept our heads under the sand, and held back from debating from fear of offending others (or just wasting our time) then we would never hear what others have to say and miss out on a potentially life-changing growth experience.

Of course, I never started this thread to make it a battle of words of religion vs science. I think people are being quite civilized about it and we are finding new ground between us. I'm glad we confronted this and hope we continue to encourage all sorts of opinions here. As long as people play nice (ie be respectful on a personal level) if should remain an open-minded forum to give and receive knowledge.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 12 Jun 2012 03:46

Debating about it is bad if you go in with the intention of simply trying to make people see your way. If you keep an open mind and actually listen to the other arguments then its worth doing.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Jun 2012 10:16

In a debate, it is ideal to have both parties being reasonable and rational. Otherwise, there is no point. The ignorant will remain ignorant and the intelligent will become frustrated.

So if we all kept our heads under the sand, and held back from debating from fear of offending others (or just wasting our time) then we would never hear what others have to say and miss out on a potentially life-changing growth experience.

I'm in the right forum, then. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 14 Jun 2012 01:27

I used to identify as Christian up until like a year or two ago . Basicly im a man of science and i started thinking about the reasons early human came up with the idea of gods : " why are we here " " what is right and wrong " " why do things happen the way they do" then i realized that science answeres all these questions. It's like how morpheas describes the Matrix the idea was always there just a little idea in the back of my head but i never realy thought about it i just needed a shove .
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 14 Jun 2012 06:10

I dont think science really gives answers as to what right and wrong are... however I also find it strangely immoral that people need a God to tell them what is right and wrong, I think people should be kind simply because they want to be, not because their religion tells them. Although I guess they could want to be kind and join a religion that matches their views...

Its also good to start thinking about why the arguments are put forward and not JUST judge them on their own merits. There is always some kind of underlying motivation that is actually more important than the idea itself. In my opinion life gets better when you no longer need to ask questions about God or Spirituality because you can find happiness in real things. I guess its all about letting go of the fear of death isnt it?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Postby Peter » 14 Jun 2012 07:58

Jack - yes. When I truly stopped being concerned about death my world view changed and I have not looked back in all areas of my life. It was a moment of true freedom and an acceptance of self in the nicest way and all I had to do was look inside and find. It is one of the biggest reasons why I have no need for religion and find science interesting but also a work in progress so am more accepting of it over religion.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 14 Jun 2012 23:04

well i know it doesnt answer what is right and wrong thats because right and wrong is an idea created by humans. to think there is an omnicent being who decides what is right is naive . but otherwise you know what im saying science answers all other questions i can think of.
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 16 Jun 2012 20:19

Summerlander wrote: We can be good to each other without having to believe in a God.

8-) Yes
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 16 Jun 2012 20:29

LucidKey13 wrote:Trying to suggest that God was responsible for those incidents is completely the wrong way to look at it. My 12 year old cousin died from cancer and I do not blame it on god. In our world diseases and rouge cells are part of life, could you imagine a world where everyone is constantly free of burden and illness, people live forever and no challenges ever surface throughout their whole life?
God gave us freewill so we can make our own choices and live freely. He did not foresee a world where such horrible people with such twisted, sad minds would exist.

“Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn’t care to, or he doesn’t exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely.

The only sense to make of tragedies like this is that terrible things can happen to perfectly innocent people. This understanding inspires compassion.

Religious faith, on the other hand, erodes compassion. Thoughts like, “this might be all part of God’s plan,” or “there are no accidents in life,” or “everyone on some level gets what he or she deserves” - these ideas are not only stupid, they are extraordinarily callous. They are nothing more than a childish refusal to connect with the suffering of other human beings. It is time to grow up and let our hearts break at moments like this.”
― Sam Harris

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Return to “Off-Topic”