I believe I can fly!

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Beethoven

I believe I can fly!

Postby Beethoven » 12 Jun 2012 18:55

Hello dreamers!

Years ago before I developed "Can't become lucid anymore syndrome" I had quite a bit of success by forcing myself to stay awake and using my imagination the best I could. This often induced hypnagogic imagery which I've always thought of as a kinda half a lucid dream. There were several times when I knew I was gonna become lucid cos the hynagogic imagery was SO good. It's amazing how it comes on easily sometimes and sometimes it's like it doesn't exist!

Anyway, there is one definite thing for sure. Imagination makes it easier to become lucid. I used to study the detail on beautiful landscape photo's so I could recreate them in my mind to make imagining that I was flying easier. (Phew! You wouldn't believe how long that took to put into words!)

Well, when I couldn't get lucid to save my life, I had a brainwave which I was convinced would work, but didn't. BUT... Nothing worked so I've decided to try it again over 10 years later!

I bought a great video (Yes a video!) called "Idaho: An Arial Tapestry" which was basically a plane or helicopter filming the scenery as it flew over it. My intention was to imagine it was me flying as if I was having a lucid dream. I thought that watching the video a lot would make it much easier to imagine flying in bed. (I need to get out more!) And it would induce more flying dreams cos of being on my mind a lot.

Finding arial footage years ago wasn't that easy but YOUTUBE is full of it!!! So I'm gonna have a good think of ways I could use it to good effect.

Happy dreaming!

Paul

Beethoven

Re: I believe I can fly!

Postby Beethoven » 06 Feb 2017 17:32

Over 4 years later...

I've always liked the idea of watching aerial footage whilst trying to imagine I'm flying over it. Due to drones there is absolutely loads of beautiful great quality footage on YouTube, and I'm gonna try experimenting with it. Maybe watching a 5 minute clip just before I go to bed etc?

I think that if it induces a flying dream, this could help induce lucidity?

Knowing my luck, I'll be having a dream ABOUT watching aerial footage on YouTube!!!

What do you think???

Petal

Postby Petal » 14 Feb 2017 23:43

I quite often fly in dreams. I like fantasy scenarios where flying just seems like a simple natural thing to do. However, I often involuntary astral project and then decided it would be a great idea to fly in a more realistic realm. I have trained myself to float down stairs, because I decided trying to float out the window is perhaps a bit stupid. Then I go in the garden and try and fly. Sometimes I manage it other times I just end up flapping about, sometime getting up about twenty feet and holding on to sides of buildings. I often think if my neighbour could see me their'd think I a lunatic. I use google earth to find interesting places to explore. Sometimes I just fly around my neighbourhood but it's always a bit off or morphed in some way. Once all the cars were parked horse carts and the roofs all had thatch instead of tiles.
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 15 Feb 2017 12:25

I love flying in dreams. Especially lucid ones. Sometimes the scenery is like not of this earth! I've also flown around the neighbourhood wondering how real it was. I've seen things on the top of roofs etc. and wondered whether they were really there? Wouldn't that be amazing if they really were! This was way before Google Earth came on the scene so I couldn't look to see if I could verify it.

Even when I've become lucid I've often still been affected by other people. I've been showing off etc. feeling good that nobody else could fly but me! And once my girlfriend (phew! That must've been a long time ago!) was shouting at me to come down. I ignored her at first but gave in and floated back down to the ground where I lost my lucidity and woke up!

In the past I've become lucid by imagining myself flying. I've probably failed a zillion times but it has worked on several occasions.

Keep flapping your arms about!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 15 Feb 2017 13:01

Hi Petal and Beethoven. Flying in dream is my second favorite thing to do in LD. It is absolutely amazing! I have done it often throughout the years. I hope we all have more LDs very soon. :-)
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Petal

Postby Petal » 15 Feb 2017 14:49

Thank you for replying to me. This site is great. I should have joined it a long time ago. I confess I don't understand much of what I am doing, or why or the the difference between one state/technique from another... or have the fortitude to learn about it in detail much. I'm also still a bit embarrassed to talk about it. I learnt my way of doing things as a kid and not completely/always by conscious choice. I guess I might knuckle down and try for some consistency soon.
Possibly, I'm good a flying because as a kid I used to imagine flying a lot when I was on long car journeys. I would look out the window and imagine I was flying above the car then across the landscape. I particularly like fields of wheat and growing crops. Often, in my head, I would arrive home or the destination long before my Dad/Mum had finished driving. I was much much faster. I also knew all the fields round my house, quite accurately.
I do do a lot of really stupid stuff in dreams and instinctively misbehave. "Flapping" is just one example. I have know myself to poke people in dreams who seem to be sleep walking and laugh at them, cause they don't know they are sleeping. Kind of like your showing off. I don't seem to be able to control myself very well at all. Once I've found or come up with an idea, that's it. It's got to be tried. I'm very impatient, even more so in dreams. I agree though, that now, when I do manage to proper lucid fly, it's often very awesome.
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 15 Feb 2017 16:12

Learning to lucid dream as a child is a benefit. It may be much easier for you to achieve lucidity with some practice of some of the techniques than people who started learning about lucid dreaming as adults.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 15 Feb 2017 22:57

I have been lucid dreaming since I was really little, and trained myself different flying techniques as well.

Flying in some of my lucid dreams is one of the main means of transportation I use, as it's way more convenient than walking. Like Petal, in some of my lucid dreams, I have had some real world accuracy of places in some of my lucid dreams before when I have flown around to places, although I haven't had any trouble flying. I had a misfortune of once was accidentally flying right into a crime scene while it was happening in real life. That was probably just an unlucky incident. I've had plenty of lucky and unlucky things in my lucid dreams I am flying around like that anyways, luck is just part of the laws of math.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 16 Feb 2017 12:09

Hi lucide...

I'm trying to understand what you're saying about accidentally flying into a crime scene whilst it was happening in real life.

Could you elaborate more cos it sounds really interesting???

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 16 Feb 2017 16:14

Yes, all I was doing was taking a flight as usual, it was 1:15 in the morning, and I was flying through the sky, and then flying through some allyways downtown, and then in a specific alleyway I ended up seeing a pervert dumping a woman's body in a dumpster. Not something you really expect to encounter while you are flying around. Then he turns around to walk off, but he cannot see me. It's Monday, so of course several hours later, the truck is going to come and take the garbage to the dump (they do that, even at 5 in the morning, no one seems to mind). I locate where they dump the remains. Personally I believe this is all just a weird lucid dream, and get home around 5:47AM (it really is 5:47AM when I wake up from my lucid dream, I keep perfect time in a lucid dream). Because I believe it is a lucid dream, I see nothing wrong in joking about it. Until the same character (in real life, I tend not to look at faces much or remember names, I tend to look at faces way more in lucid dreams) I saw in my lucid dream, he appears on the news as the suspect who gets arrested for a crime he did 2 weeks later, saying he dumped a body by his house around that time of the morning. And that place they find the remains. Then I get heavily criticized by the other workers, accused of being a "witness" and not saying anything (how was I supposed to know?? ).
I've had other peculiar flying lucid dreams, and while I am not necessarily always bumping into scenes like that. There was that one incident I had, where I don't know what exactly I did wrong, but I got accused of truancy (until I showed them evidence on the camera of me sleeping in class).
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”