Fear of dreaming

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Snaggle

Re: Fear of dreaming

Postby Snaggle » 05 Jan 2012 09:58

jamjam wrote: First of all, YOU FREAKING GO THROUGH SP EVERY NIGHT! IT'S NORMAL! Ok...one does not dream the whole sleep cycle that would leave you mentally ill. NREM sleep is essential for repairing the body and other important stuff. Not everyone acts out dreams.

No one does not go through Sp every night. SP is a dream experience like a false awakening. Atonia is not SP, but one does not even go through atonia every night one sleeps. Sleep often never goes beyond light NREM sleep. I pointed out that I had spontaneous WILDs before I had intentional ones, in any WILD one is dreaming the whole time one is asleep. I also linked you to youtube videos showing people dreaming the whole time they're asleep. I've also tried to WILD and not entered a dream state, but entered atonia fully conscious-there is no paralysis at all. The theory that there is is just wrong which is also confirmed by rem sleep behavior disorder in which people in rem sleep at out their dreams meaning no SP. When facts don't agree with ones theory one rejects ones theory not the facts. Since it's obvious you've never WILDed one has no right to an opinion on it or what happens during the "entire sleep process". Dreams have no affect on ones sanity or schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a mood/ character state. My mother was a psychiatric nurse and I've personally observed enough schizophrenics to be able to spot them whether they're human or animal. This actress did the best depiction of a schizophrenic I've ever seen.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFZmRVjUJnY dreaming constantly through the sleep process will not make one depressed or happy or a genius or idiot either- it just gives one knowledge of the sleep process that's direct experience and not just based on speculation after watching someone sleep.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Jan 2012 18:35

jamjam wrote:Please ignore Snaggie. First of all, YOU FREAKING GO THROUGH SP EVERY NIGHT! IT'S NORMAL! Ok... just ignore... one does not dream the whole sleep cycle that would leave you mentally ill. NREM sleep is essential for repairing the body and other important stuff. Not everyone acts out dreams. Considering you're probably a naive little person who is all caught up in their own little world... ok look I've got places to go... just ignore him.
My ranting aside, closing your eyes helps make the SP less scary. If you can't see them they're not there ( trust me it helps). Get the idea that you can't move in the dream out of your head... NOW! (Unless you were just experiencing hypnogogia and SP at the same time). Dreams and hypnogogia and SP can't hurt you you're safe. It's all inside your head.

PS: Sorry about grammar and spelling I'm on a iPad.
PPS: I'm usually on the iPad :lol:
It's all inside your head...

Why do you think I've ignored him? :D

Snag will never understand the difference between SP and being consciously aware in SP. I'm just making people aware of the erroneous statements that are sometimes posted here. But no matter, let's not irritate him any longer because statements like "I can do this unlike you" are usually signs of a bruised ego who will not admit being wrong even when he or she knows it. Some people just prefer to revel in their ignorance and preserve their ego at all costs... :roll:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Katrina83

Postby Katrina83 » 10 Jan 2012 09:52

I understand you... sometimes i am afraid to go to sleep cuz i know that i am gonna get one more nightmare instead of rest... sometimes i see monsters, sometimes i see death of my close people, i have no idea what causes it, i never watch any horror movies or anything, my life is pretty boring and nothing really bad happens to me. except for these nightmares.. :( what causes them? is it a sign of depression or something? it lasts for months...
mp3 editor http://freemp3editor.org/

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Jan 2012 15:21

It's not necessarily a sign of depression. It could be all sorts of things from worry or even imagined scenarios. Besides, we all fear an array of things that don't materialise in waking life most of the time and the chances of such things occurring could be slim. If I start a story here and not give you any specific details, your mind will conjure up all sorts of things that will make the story more complete. This is how dreams happen...from schemas.

For example:

A stranger in a town walks into a bar and all faces turn... A drink is ordered by the stranger in the form of a whisper...

Already your mind is concocting a visual scenario and adding things to it. I have not mentioned whether the stranger is male or female but you may have decided that it is a rugged man looking like Clint Eastwood (where did this come from you might ask).

What is the town like? You may have decided that it is a rural environment similar to a wild west setting. The drink could be whiskey or fire water...or it could be a colourful cocktail and the man is very camp or feminine and the whisper could be a seductive one.

The faces turned and you may have decided that everyone turned to look at the stranger. But what if the stranger was repulsive to look at and they all turned away? Can you see it happen in your mind, unfolding like a plot and going beyond what was mentioned in my sentence?

You may have decided that it happens during the day (did I mention this in my sentence? - where did it come from?) - the mind doesn't just play out what it has already been exposed to. It is capable of making many associations, imagination and creativity.

On this note, you don't have to watch horror movies to have nightmares about monsters and whatnot. You know what horror movies are therefore you can imagine what they are like. You have the concept of monsters in your mind therefore they manifest in altered states of consciousness such as dreams. And why should such experiences last for months...well...maybe because you dwell on them too much?
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Jan 2012 19:49

agree and its all context - sleep during the day with one foot out of bed and on the floor and there are no issues. Try this at night and whats under the bed thats going to get you and drag you away by your foot, and really will a sheet protect you from IT....
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

SnorlaxDreamer

Postby SnorlaxDreamer » 17 Jun 2012 13:58

Actually, you can die from fear. But not pure fear, to be precise. You will have to have some kind of heart disease, that can't handle a panic attack. This is not only in the dreams, but also in the real world.

"But the truth is a bit more complicated.

Yes, being trapped inside an elevator triggered a panic attack that sent Goldberg's fight-or-flight response - the sympathetic nervous system - into full overdrive. Her heart beat so wildly that it was unable to handle the exertion, and she went into cardiac arrest.

The extenuating circumstance, however, is that Goldberg suffered from a congenital heart condition. She was unusually vulnerable, and any extreme exertion of her cardiovascular system might well have had the same effect. We can't truly say that she died of fear, any more that we can say of a jogger with a heart defect who drops dead while jogging "died of exercise" or that an elderly millionaire who dies in the saddle with a young admirer "died of sex.""
(Jeff Wise is a New York-based science writer and author of Extreme Fear: The Science of Your Mind in Danger).

This is the same principal. It is corect that Danielle Goldberg died from pure fear, but she also had a heart disease which caused her to collapse and die later, because of the extreme level of fear. This is why Sleep Paralysis is fine to have. You will not be able to die from it, unless you have some kind of heart disease. In any way, if you fear for your life then you should seek a doctor, and check if there is anything wrong with your heart. You might also just look at if anyone in your family have had some kind of heart diseases.
Good luck! ;)
"If I only could see you in my dreams, I would sleep all the time!" <3

Return to “Sleep Disorders”