What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Worldenterer1

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Worldenterer1 » 16 Jun 2012 20:32

Worldenterer1 wrote:
LucidKey13 wrote:Trying to suggest that God was responsible for those incidents is completely the wrong way to look at it. My 12 year old cousin died from cancer and I do not blame it on god. In our world diseases and rouge cells are part of life, could you imagine a world where everyone is constantly free of burden and illness, people live forever and no challenges ever surface throughout their whole life?
God gave us freewill so we can make our own choices and live freely. He did not foresee a world where such horrible people with such twisted, sad minds would exist.

“Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn’t care to, or he doesn’t exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely.

The only sense to make of tragedies like this is that terrible things can happen to perfectly innocent people. This understanding inspires compassion.

Religious faith, on the other hand, erodes compassion. Thoughts like, “this might be all part of God’s plan,” or “there are no accidents in life,” or “everyone on some level gets what he or she deserves” - these ideas are not only stupid, they are extraordinarily callous. They are nothing more than a childish refusal to connect with the suffering of other human beings. It is time to grow up and let our hearts break at moments like this.”
― Sam Harris

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

The target of this was not to contradict. Just throwing out an idea. ;)
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Jun 2012 01:13

I pick imaginary! :mrgreen:

So, children, you better prepare yourselves for the great teacher: death

The good news is that there is no one in the afterlife to judge you... in fact, an afterlife is very likely to not be the case. Also, we should revel in the knowledge that we won't be conscious forever (phew... what a relief! :P )

The bad news is that the loved ones who outlive us will miss us terribly (in theory :shock: ). Also, we need to get ready for the fact that we will lose everything that we like so it may be wise to try to get into a frame of mind where you are comfortable with this. Meditation can help you to rehearse this detachment (in fact, in my case, meditation has taken me to blissful states of near nothingness which sort of romanticised the idea of the cessation of being). It really is a kind of freedom if you think about it... :o

We are born self-centred and we immediately attached ourselves to elements of the world around us. Losing the things we love causes suffering. But we can also learn about the benefits of detachment. The philosophy of the Buddha - in its original form before being corrupted by esotericism over millennia - is a great example!

You don't need a religion to make you comfortable with lies and mystical fantasies. Face facts, deal with them, and remember that death is natural and part of the cycle of life. You have already been in a non-existent state before you were born anyways... :!:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

rdc8214

Postby rdc8214 » 18 Jun 2012 02:39

I am a christian that believes in reincarnation of the human soul.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 18 Jun 2012 05:56

How does your version work, do you believe there is only a "human" soul and that you only get reincarnated into other people, not other animals etc?

Anyway as for letting go, I am pretty much content with the bare minimum in my life. If you can be happy in the moment no matter where you are and find value in real things then imo your set for life. I couldnt really care less about possesions, I have more fun simply being around friends, regardless of what we are doing.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 18 Jun 2012 12:17

Summerlander wrote:From where I stand, there is more beauty in a universe that has evolved as rich and as intriguing as it is without the need of a God then a world where we are made to feel guilty by what we do or say and which was supposedly created by a spiritual being with magical powers.

They love to perpetuate the so-called mystery of God and it is not surprising that some of their intentions are to do the opposite of what science is trying to do: to meet the questions with real logical answers (not the pathetic "God made the universe" - it's like saying "Santa got me presents" for goodness sakes!)

Then you get the ones who try to suppress scientific reasoning because somehow the intellectual jargon threatens their faith deep down...

As you rightly said, Peter: "...getting all bent and twisted trying to defend something." - But apparently me quoting you means I can't think for myself! :mrgreen:

You think people shouldn't feel guilty for doing wrong? It's that guilt that stops people from doing bad things. And you're obviously getting bent and twisted about defending science when you mock what I say!
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 18 Jun 2012 13:18

BOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 18 Jun 2012 13:37

Summerlander wrote:I pick imaginary! :mrgreen:

So, children, you better prepare yourselves for the great teacher: death

The good news is that there is no one in the afterlife to judge you... in fact, an afterlife is very likely to not be the case. Also, we should revel in the knowledge that we won't be conscious forever (phew... what a relief! :P )

The bad news is that the loved ones who outlive us will miss us terribly (in theory :shock: ). Also, we need to get ready for the fact that we will lose everything that we like so it may be wise to try to get into a frame of mind where you are comfortable with this. Meditation can help you to rehearse this detachment (in fact, in my case, meditation has taken me to blissful states of near nothingness which sort of romanticised the idea of the cessation of being). It really is a kind of freedom if you think about it... :o

We are born self-centred and we immediately attached ourselves to elements of the world around us. Losing the things we love causes suffering. But we can also learn about the benefits of detachment. The philosophy of the Buddha - in its original form before being corrupted by esotericism over millennia - is a great example!

You don't need a religion to make you comfortable with lies and mystical fantasies. Face facts, deal with them, and remember that death is natural and part of the cycle of life. You have already been in a non-existent state before you were born anyways... :!:

Okay, going to try and be a civil as possible here. You know your posts are my favorite, Summerlander.

This entire posts, quite frankly, sounds very arrogant. Maybe even ignorant. No one has the power to say there will be no judgement after you die. Certainly not you. Alas, I am getting quite frustrated ;)
You think that because a religion proposes these ideas, that they do not exist. That is ignorant on the highest level. WAIT--! I did not say it was ignorant to not believe religion, I said it was ignorant to throw it out the window, simply because religion states it.

First, because I keep getting misunderstood, for some reason, I will spell out my standing on this debate as clearly as possible. I am not an enemy of science. I am not religious. I think both religion and science plays their part, as they should. Religion might not go down the best road, a lot of the time. But neither does science. And I don't believe they are the enemy of each other, or opposites. The only problem I have with science, is that it generates people like you, again, quite frankly. And the only problem I have with religion, is that it generates the same type.

You are the type of religious people that you hate. You think simply because science tells you something that that's the way it is? You can't force people to accept science, like those type of religious people can't force you to accept God. I've heard my fair share of scientific explanations. How things "are" in the world. Perhaps it's human nature to need to have the answers. And it's easy to sink into it. Further fueled by the actual fact that so many people accept science. It's funny and almost sickening to see how easily people are swayed by science. Similar to sheep, it seems to me. Almost to whisper "We conform to science, so join us, or you'll be seen as stupid or insane". There is nothing wrong with science itself, so please don't come back at me with another example of how science helps people. I get it. And I'm not arguing with it. When people misunderstand science's intent, is when it gets out of hand. Science is there to try and explain how things work, science admits it has flaws and isn't perfect, yet people ignore this, and take it as fact. I agree with some things science tells us, maybe from specific people, but I observe the information, not simply accept it. Like reaching into a bag and eating something before seeing what it is. It could harm, more than help.

Your first few sentences irk me the most. Almost trying to get under my skin, it seems to me. As if some higher-than-human self, telling us what to expect upon dying. Have you died, Summerlander? Or are you simply going on the notion that we are machines, we have no soul or spirit. Who's to say? Certainly not you. Certainly not me. Also, we may have existed before our human selves, as something else. You cannot tell. I cannot tell. I can't say there is a Heaven or Hell, as you can't either. To assume you know how life works, assumes you have knowledge no other human does. Are you really ready to take that role? I didn't think so.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 18 Jun 2012 13:44

Jack Reacher wrote:Anyway as for letting go, I am pretty much content with the bare minimum in my life. If you can be happy in the moment no matter where you are and find value in real things then imo your set for life. I couldnt really care less about possesions, I have more fun simply being around friends, regardless of what we are doing.

That's very respectable. I know many people who are miserable in their lives because they don't have what they want, all the time. You are lucky to be able to appreciate the simple things in life. Those type of people are fading away.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 19 Jun 2012 03:19

Ty8200 wrote:
Jack Reacher wrote:You are lucky to be able to appreciate the simple things in life. Those type of people are fading away.

I agree
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 19 Jun 2012 05:34

I didnt type that, but whatev. A thought that has crossed my mind is how many people are told by their parents that God was real as a kid, even if you arent religious or your family isnt religious? If you were told about god from a very young age (as I suspect most people were), try to imagine how different your life would be if no one told you about God as a kid, and that you had to figure stuff out for yourself when those tricky questions came along.

Now ask yourself, if someone told you the story of Jesus at the age of 20... would you believe them? I honestly doubt any human would.

Return to “Off-Topic”