What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
22
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
38
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
29
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
29
25%
 
Total votes: 118

User avatar
Worldenterer1
Posts: 347
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 19:35
Location: Earth

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Worldenterer1 » 19 Jun 2012 15:09

Jack Reacher wrote:I didnt type that, but whatev.


Wait a minute, I think you're right. Sorry for that mistake. Ty8200 wrote that one.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 19 Jun 2012 22:53

Jack Reacher wrote:Now ask yourself, if someone told you the story of Jesus at the age of 20... would you believe them? I honestly doubt any human would.


Are you sure you don't mean the story of God?

Anyway, I've thought about this as well. I personally don't find any harm in believing in God. Think about it, you have two people, born and raised the same, except one was told of God and one wasn't. The one who was will know they have someone watching their actions. I'm no expert on religion, nor do I claim to be, but from what I do know, is that God expects you to do the right thing. And if that's someone's motivation to do the right thing, even if they wouldn't have otherwise, it makes them a better person.

It's a lot easier to do nothing, than to help someone and do the right thing. If God is your motivation to do the right thing, then I see nothing wrong with it. If people think they are going to get judged for their actions, they will be more motivated to do what's right. That's my thought anyway. Take it as you will.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 19 Jun 2012 22:59

Worldenterer1 wrote:
Jack Reacher wrote:I didnt type that, but whatev.


Wait a minute, I think you're right. Sorry for that mistake. Ty8200 wrote that one.


To clear the confusion, Jack wrote:

Anyway as for letting go, I am pretty much content with the bare minimum in my life. If you can be happy in the moment no matter where you are and find value in real things then imo your set for life. I couldnt really care less about possesions, I have more fun simply being around friends, regardless of what we are doing.

I responded:

That's very respectable. I know many people who are miserable in their lives because they don't have what they want, all the time. You are lucky to be able to appreciate the simple things in life. Those type of people are fading away.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3651
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 20 Jun 2012 18:27

Hi Ty8200,

In here you will find all my reasons for not believing in God or a human soul. After all, why believe in something which is not evident and when there is more evidence to the contrary, right?

Check this link out on free will (within this topic, consciousness, human evolution and even quantum mechanics is touched upon). Consciousness has evolved with the development of our brains (hence why you can lose many of your mental faculties with brain damage and certain degenerate illnesses like Alzheimer's). Check the link out and understand why the notion of free will is absurd (there is will but it's not free) and the sense of self is nothing but a brain program arising from higher neural networks of great complexity:

http://forum.obe4u.com/index.php?topic=1061.0

Furthermore, besides the scientific evidence to support our logical view, we also touch upon meditation in the link and, according to my experience, I have reached states of near-nothingness which clearly hint at this ultimate truth: we are like onions and there is no core. Strip away the layers of cognitive experience and the illusion of self disappears. :shock:

On science, you clearly skimmed through my posts with the sole purpose of getting your point across whatever the cost whilst completely missing the fact that I touched upon the errors that science as made, how they are quickly rectified, and how it helps it to progress. If I were you, I'd take a look at the technology around you, think about how far we've come, focus on the benefits of our practical method of studying the nature of things, and stop embarassing yourself by defaming science and those who have worked hard to bring sophistication and edification into your life. :ugeek:

I hope you will be able to comment sensibly, mate, instead of nitpicking my posts in your attempt to censure me. By the way, guilt is not the substratum that prevents individuals from doing bad things (and to assume so you must have a very black and white view on human psychology). A sane mind with a reasonably good heart and a high level of empathy is enough to focus on goodness. There is no need to believe in a God. All you need to do is treat others in the same manner that you would like to be treated because you have a good understanding based on your theory of mind. :idea:

In fact, how can one be deserving of a promised heaven when their good deeds are being done out of the fear of hell? Most importantly, how can you be deserving of a heaven if all your doing is to save your own arse! "Salvation", they call it! :mrgreen:

It's like the whole Santa scenario for children: be good and you will get presents, misbehave and there is nothing! - Goodness should come from you and not because you want something in return or because you fear damnation. This is where religion gives the wrong message, makes no sense and contradicts itself. :cry:

If you haven't heard of Buddhism already, I suggest you look it up. There is no god and no fantasies to follow in the Buddhist philosophy. All you need is meditation and a good understanding of reality. With that comes peace, wisdom and goodness. :|

Nourish your mind with what I've provided, Ty8200, and stop being so pompously arrogant and defensive. You are clearly frustrated and feel that the only way you can argue your case is to call people "ignorant" and use phrases like "people like you" when referring to someone else. In your frustration and nerves you have allowed yourself to be careless and make oxymoronic statements like these:

Your first few sentences irk me the most. Almost trying to get under my skin, it seems to me. As if some higher-than-human self, telling us what to expect upon dying. Have you died, Summerlander? Or are you simply going on the notion that we are machines, we have no soul or spirit. Who's to say? Certainly not you. Certainly not me. Also, we may have existed before our human selves, as something else. You cannot tell. I cannot tell. I can't say there is a Heaven or Hell, as you can't either. To assume you know how life works, assumes you have knowledge no other human does. Are you really ready to take that role? I didn't think so.


Either I have never died or I have existed before and I have already died once - you can't have both. As far as I know, I have no consciousness of events prior to my birth (I can only imagine from what older people have told me and the history that we are taught. As far as I am aware, I did not exist before my birth. As far as I'm aware, my consciousness has evolved alongside my growing brain. as far as I can tell, we are our physical bodies. Whether the universe stumbles upon the right physical coordinates in space to eventuate the return of my awareness in a million years time after I am long gone, that is another story. As for a spiritual afterlife... nah... it's nothing more than a fantasy - like a fairytale that is very appealing to many people who fear death. Heaven and hell are naive concepts. In fact, conceptual reality only exists for as long as a mind is active and has the relevant faculties in operation.

There was a case of a split-brain person who was asked if he believed in God. The left-brain hemisphere said "no" but the right one said "yes". The question that must be posed to the religious community is the following: does that mean that one side goes to heaven and the other goes to hell? If you haven't looked at split-brain patients and experiments that were conducted with them I suggest you do so. It may be a shocking revelation that you were previously closed to. It is intriguing what happens to consciousness with certain types of brain manipulation.

The building blocks for human life have already been identified, by the way, the most important one being carbon in all its complexity. You can guess the others by deciphering this acronym: SPONCH - how exactly they all work together is my guess (I'm not the expert so you will have to find one for a better insight) but I know that it works and so do you. Just look around you. :)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Jack Reacher
Posts: 490
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 05:03
Location: New Zealand

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Jack Reacher » 20 Jun 2012 23:43

Ty8200 wrote:
Jack Reacher wrote:Now ask yourself, if someone told you the story of Jesus at the age of 20... would you believe them? I honestly doubt any human would.


Are you sure you don't mean the story of God?

Anyway, I've thought about this as well. I personally don't find any harm in believing in God. Think about it, you have two people, born and raised the same, except one was told of God and one wasn't. The one who was will know they have someone watching their actions. I'm no expert on religion, nor do I claim to be, but from what I do know, is that God expects you to do the right thing. And if that's someone's motivation to do the right thing, even if they wouldn't have otherwise, it makes them a better person.

It's a lot easier to do nothing, than to help someone and do the right thing. If God is your motivation to do the right thing, then I see nothing wrong with it. If people think they are going to get judged for their actions, they will be more motivated to do what's right. That's my thought anyway. Take it as you will.


Yeah but what the reality of it is is suicide bombers and people protesting against gay rights, abortions, and other bs. Also I think the key word is someone who grew up with the concept of God will BELIEVE in him, not know he is there. Saying stuff like he will Know God exists just agitates people, dont bother going there.

You could be right though, but to be motivated to do the right thing because a God wants you to doesnt really sound moral to me, it just sounds like a game.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

User avatar
Worldenterer1
Posts: 347
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 19:35
Location: Earth

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Worldenterer1 » 21 Jun 2012 15:38

Ty8200 wrote:
Worldenterer1 wrote:
Jack Reacher wrote:I didnt type that, but whatev.


Wait a minute, I think you're right. Sorry for that mistake. Ty8200 wrote that one.


To clear the confusion, Jack wrote:

Anyway as for letting go, I am pretty much content with the bare minimum in my life. If you can be happy in the moment no matter where you are and find value in real things then imo your set for life. I couldnt really care less about possesions, I have more fun simply being around friends, regardless of what we are doing.

I responded:

That's very respectable. I know many people who are miserable in their lives because they don't have what they want, all the time. You are lucky to be able to appreciate the simple things in life. Those type of people are fading away.



Yes, exactly. :)
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 21 Jun 2012 18:36

Summerlander wrote:Hi Ty8200,

In here you will find all my reasons for not believing in God or a human soul. After all, why believe in something which is not evident and when there is more evidence to the contrary, right?

Check this link out on free will (within this topic, consciousness, human evolution and even quantum mechanics is touched upon). Consciousness has evolved with the development of our brains (hence why you can lose many of your mental faculties with brain damage and certain degenerate illnesses like Alzheimer's). Check the link out and understand why the notion of free will is absurd (there is will but it's not free) and the sense of self is nothing but a brain program arising from higher neural networks of great complexity:

http://forum.obe4u.com/index.php?topic=1061.0

Furthermore, besides the scientific evidence to support our logical view, we also touch upon meditation in the link and, according to my experience, I have reached states of near-nothingness which clearly hint at this ultimate truth: we are like onions and there is no core. Strip away the layers of cognitive experience and the illusion of self disappears. :shock:

On science, you clearly skimmed through my posts with the sole purpose of getting your point across whatever the cost whilst completely missing the fact that I touched upon the errors that science as made, how they are quickly rectified, and how it helps it to progress. If I were you, I'd take a look at the technology around you, think about how far we've come, focus on the benefits of our practical method of studying the nature of things, and stop embarassing yourself by defaming science and those who have worked hard to bring sophistication and edification into your life. :ugeek:

I hope you will be able to comment sensibly, mate, instead of nitpicking my posts in your attempt to censure me. By the way, guilt is not the substratum that prevents individuals from doing bad things (and to assume so you must have a very black and white view on human psychology). A sane mind with a reasonably good heart and a high level of empathy is enough to focus on goodness. There is no need to believe in a God. All you need to do is treat others in the same manner that you would like to be treated because you have a good understanding based on your theory of mind. :idea:

In fact, how can one be deserving of a promised heaven when their good deeds are being done out of the fear of hell? Most importantly, how can you be deserving of a heaven if all your doing is to save your own arse! "Salvation", they call it! :mrgreen:

It's like the whole Santa scenario for children: be good and you will get presents, misbehave and there is nothing! - Goodness should come from you and not because you want something in return or because you fear damnation. This is where religion gives the wrong message, makes no sense and contradicts itself. :cry:

If you haven't heard of Buddhism already, I suggest you look it up. There is no god and no fantasies to follow in the Buddhist philosophy. All you need is meditation and a good understanding of reality. With that comes peace, wisdom and goodness. :|

Nourish your mind with what I've provided, Ty8200, and stop being so pompously arrogant and defensive. You are clearly frustrated and feel that the only way you can argue your case is to call people "ignorant" and use phrases like "people like you" when referring to someone else. In your frustration and nerves you have allowed yourself to be careless and make oxymoronic statements like these:

Your first few sentences irk me the most. Almost trying to get under my skin, it seems to me. As if some higher-than-human self, telling us what to expect upon dying. Have you died, Summerlander? Or are you simply going on the notion that we are machines, we have no soul or spirit. Who's to say? Certainly not you. Certainly not me. Also, we may have existed before our human selves, as something else. You cannot tell. I cannot tell. I can't say there is a Heaven or Hell, as you can't either. To assume you know how life works, assumes you have knowledge no other human does. Are you really ready to take that role? I didn't think so.


Either I have never died or I have existed before and I have already died once - you can't have both. As far as I know, I have no consciousness of events prior to my birth (I can only imagine from what older people have told me and the history that we are taught. As far as I am aware, I did not exist before my birth. As far as I'm aware, my consciousness has evolved alongside my growing brain. as far as I can tell, we are our physical bodies. Whether the universe stumbles upon the right physical coordinates in space to eventuate the return of my awareness in a million years time after I am long gone, that is another story. As for a spiritual afterlife... nah... it's nothing more than a fantasy - like a fairytale that is very appealing to many people who fear death. Heaven and hell are naive concepts. In fact, conceptual reality only exists for as long as a mind is active and has the relevant faculties in operation.

There was a case of a split-brain person who was asked if he believed in God. The left-brain hemisphere said "no" but the right one said "yes". The question that must be posed to the religious community is the following: does that mean that one side goes to heaven and the other goes to hell? If you haven't looked at split-brain patients and experiments that were conducted with them I suggest you do so. It may be a shocking revelation that you were previously closed to. It is intriguing what happens to consciousness with certain types of brain manipulation.

The building blocks for human life have already been identified, by the way, the most important one being carbon in all its complexity. You can guess the others by deciphering this acronym: SPONCH - how exactly they all work together is my guess (I'm not the expert so you will have to find one for a better insight) but I know that it works and so do you. Just look around you. :)


You are going to drive me insane. I keep repeating myself, and you keep misunderstanding. You rely solely on science for answers, and that's okay, but these are just people you get your information from, nothing more than you are. I've already mentioned that I don't hold these people's beliefs (the one's you gave me the links to) higher than my own. You seem to think I'm trying to tell you how things are, when I'm only laying out the possibilities. In the section you highlighted:

"Your first few sentences irk me the most. Almost trying to get under my skin, it seems to me. As if some higher-than-human self, telling us what to expect upon dying. Have you died, Summerlander? Or are you simply going on the notion that we are machines, we have no soul or spirit. Who's to say? Certainly not you. Certainly not me. Also, we may have existed before our human selves, as something else. You cannot tell. I cannot tell. I can't say there is a Heaven or Hell, as you can't either. To assume you know how life works, assumes you have knowledge no other human does. Are you really ready to take that role? I didn't think so."

I ask you if you (Summerlander, or w/e your real name is) have died. I'm guessing the answer would be no, because you have since posted. That question was aimed at the fact that you seem to know what happens upon death. The second highlighted sentence has no correlation to this question, thus there was no mistake. Simply another possibility that I keep in mind. And it's quite interesting, in the following sentences, how you repeat "as far as I am aware". We are almost on the same page at this point.

This entire argument can be summed up by:

Ty8200 - Anything is possible.
Summerlander - No, it's not.


If that doesn't clear a few things up, then I don't know where to turn. I view science like I view any other possibility. Sure, science could be right about everything. But no one knows for sure. I like to keep my mind open to all of the possibilities. I'm not trying to defame science, or God. And I apologize that my last post was a little bit on edge. I'll try to be a little more reasonable.

And you may be surprised, but there are a lot of people with little or no empathy, and if the thought of God can make them a better person, what's the problem. He may be doing it for the sake of God's acceptance, but who cares. Ultimately, he did a good deed he may not have otherwise. And I think most people don't do good things for no reason. It makes them feel better about themselves, so ultimately, they aren't that much different. And according to you, since we cease to exist after death, the man who believed God was watching him won't care if God really was there or not, he wouldn't even know.
The piece on guilt is makes no sense to me. What else is guilt for? What triggers guilt, then?

Furthermore, besides the scientific evidence to support our logical view, we also touch upon meditation in the link and, according to my experience, I have reached states of near-nothingness which clearly hint at this ultimate truth: we are like onions and there is no core. Strip away the layers of cognitive experience and the illusion of self disappears.


It's really doesn't matter what science proves. The phrase "Scientifically Proven" is like saying "it might be". Or else, they'd just say "proven". It's proven with science, an admittedly flawed system.

As for a spiritual afterlife... nah... it's nothing more than a fantasy - like a fairytale that is very appealing to many people who fear death.


I think it's unfair to say a spiritual afterlife is a fairytale, however. One may not exist, but no one can say for sure. I personally don't fear death, perhaps it's because I'm still young, but I find it very empty to believe we'll simply cease to exist after death. That would mean, at the very least that life is meaningless. Why even continue to exist? Why not just commit suicide? Everything you've experienced will be for nothing. Everything hardship you've endured will be for nothing. Every contribution to the human world will mean nothing. You won't even realize you've helped anyone, what your life was worth, you'll be nothing. So what's the point? It seems a very black and white view to me. What do you get when you ask yourself these questions? Do you ignore them? "Such is life", perhaps? That's not an answer. I've always wondered this about people who believe this. Why continue to live?

We live in a world where things can't be explained no matter how much technology or formulas you have. I observe science, but I don't bow down to it.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 21 Jun 2012 18:39

You could be right though, but to be motivated to do the right thing because a God wants you to doesnt really sound moral to me, it just sounds like a game.


I'll refer you to my last message with SL.

And you may be surprised, but there are a lot of people with little or no empathy, and if the thought of God can make them a better person, what's the problem. He may be doing it for the sake of God's acceptance, but who cares. Ultimately, he did a good deed he may not have otherwise. And I think most people don't do good things for no reason. It makes them feel better about themselves, so ultimately, they aren't that much different. And according to you, since we cease to exist after death, the man who believed God was watching him won't care if God really was there or not, he wouldn't even know.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3651
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 22 Jun 2012 15:10

I personally don't fear death, perhaps it's because I'm still young, but I find it very empty to believe we'll simply cease to exist after death. That would mean, at the very least that life is meaningless. Why even continue to exist? Why not just commit suicide? Everything you've experienced will be for nothing. Everything hardship you've endured will be for nothing. Every contribution to the human world will mean nothing. You won't even realize you've helped anyone, what your life was worth, you'll be nothing. So what's the point? It seems a very black and white view to me. What do you get when you ask yourself these questions? Do you ignore them? "Such is life", perhaps? That's not an answer. I've always wondered this about people who believe this. Why continue to live?


It's not a black and white view... more like realism with a touch of Occam's razor... and perhaps a little agnosticism when it comes to the nature of reality. On the other hand, you also have to acknowledge that science has established many truths and these are undeniable through the repetition of experiments and how things tend to affect one another.

In my view, I think the universe stumbled upon our complexity and this complexity has given rise to consciousness. This consciousness continues to evolve and protects itself by labelling everything. Example: this is dangerous, this is safe, that's right, that's wrong etc.

It's like our job is to give meaning to things but, as soon as you take us out of the equation, everything would lose meaning. In fact, if nobody is watching the universe, you might as well say that it doesn't exist if nothing is conscious of it...

The meaning, and this is as clear as daylight, only exists in our minds. And if what is perceived has different meanings for different people, then interpretations are born. In the end, there is no true meaning or interpretation but that which you make.

Take the minds away and there is no meaning and no point whatsoever. I think this is what is so hard for most to swallow. We have egos and we don't like to imagine that we are insignificant or that we are alone in the universe. The universe may in fact be teeming with life - chances are that it is and all you have to do is look at pictures of a myriad galaxies taken by the Hubble Space Telescope to get this impression. But then, where do you go from there? So what? What does it all mean? I'll tell you something though... if there are alien civilisations out there similar to our own, it is very logical to assume that many have no concept of God whatsoever. If we already have atheists in our planet... imagine out there!!

The anthropological view is merely a perspective and one that we hold on to because, at the moment, it is the only one we know how to live with. We create the purpose. Whether you believe that you have a purpose or not, your existence will have effected other things and other beings that exist.

But no matter how you change things... it is just a change. In a way, it is belief and the illusions that we create in our minds that keep us going - not to mention the emotions we feel! The majority of us don't want to die because we want to be conscious to enjoy the things we like and spend time with our loved ones for as long as possible. We know that we can make life wonderful for ourselves. We have that potential so, why not make the most of it while we still can?

I think for us to perceive the world around us as well as we do, we need a brain. It is plain to see that it is one of its functions and it is after all the most complex organ. In fact, even a brain is not enough to perceive all. If you lose your brain and it stops working, then all ceases to exist for you. Even the perception of self goes.

Thanks for the debate, Ty8200
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 22 Jun 2012 17:33

Summerlander wrote:It's not a black and white view... more like realism with a touch of Occam's razor... and perhaps a little agnosticism when it comes to the nature of reality. On the other hand, you also have to acknowledge that science has established many truths and these are undeniable through the repetition of experiments and how things tend to affect one another.

In my view, I think the universe stumbled upon our complexity and this complexity has given rise to consciousness. This consciousness continues to evolve and protects itself by labelling everything. Example: this is dangerous, this is safe, that's right, that's wrong etc.

It's like our job is to give meaning to things but, as soon as you take us out of the equation, everything would lose meaning. In fact, if nobody is watching the universe, you might as well say that it doesn't exist if nothing is conscious of it...

The meaning, and this is as clear as daylight, only exists in our minds. And if what is perceived has different meanings for different people, then interpretations are born. In the end, there is no true meaning or interpretation but that which you make.

Take the minds away and there is no meaning and no point whatsoever. I think this is what is so hard for most to swallow. We have egos and we don't like to imagine that we are insignificant or that we are alone in the universe. The universe may in fact be teeming with life - chances are that it is and all you have to do is look at pictures of a myriad galaxies taken by the Hubble Space Telescope to get this impression. But then, where do you go from there? So what? What does it all mean? I'll tell you something though... if there are alien civilisations out there similar to our own, it is very logical to assume that many have no concept of God whatsoever. If we already have atheists in our planet... imagine out there!!

The anthropological view is merely a perspective and one that we hold on to because, at the moment, it is the only one we know how to live with. We create the purpose. Whether you believe that you have a purpose or not, your existence will have effected other things and other beings that exist.

But no matter how you change things... it is just a change. In a way, it is belief and the illusions that we create in our minds that keep us going - not to mention the emotions we feel! The majority of us don't want to die because we want to be conscious to enjoy the things we like and spend time with our loved ones for as long as possible. We know that we can make life wonderful for ourselves. We have that potential so, why not make the most of it while we still can?

I think for us to perceive the world around us as well as we do, we need a brain. It is plain to see that it is one of its functions and it is after all the most complex organ. In fact, even a brain is not enough to perceive all. If you lose your brain and it stops working, then all ceases to exist for you. Even the perception of self goes.

Thanks for the debate, Ty8200


I see where you're coming from. But I still don't believe we will ever have an undeniable truth that this is the case. Maybe we are seeing everything we know in the wrong way. I don't doubt the possibility of simply not existing, but it can't ever be certain. We go on the knowledge that everything we know and perceive is stored in the brain. Again, that might be so, and the evidence would support that. But, like I said in my first post, the brain may simply be-- Wait, I just remembered a study (yes, a scientific one). It was a study, if I remember correctly, that says when electrons are observed, they act differently then when they are not observed. So if that's true, how do we know the same can't happen with anything else? I've found the String Theory to be interesting as well. I don't know how valid or accepted it is in the scientific community, but it sounds quite bizarre.

There was another study that I found quite interesting. My brother told me of this one and I thought he was kidding, but here it is. They had a guy on his death bed, about to die. This bed was also a weight scale. So it could measure the weight of the man about to die. They found that upon dying, the man weighed a very small amount less. This study was trying to find if the soul had a weight to it, or if there was a soul at all. Very intriguing to me, especially since this was a scientific study. I'm sure opposing scientists could come up with a million and one reasons for this, but it's interesting, none the less. Science is evolving at a rapid pace. You never know, before long, ghosts could be proven to exist ;)

There are many skeptical people who didn't believe in anything spiritual... Until they had an experience for themselves. I think I have a very rational mind. If anything strange happens in my life, something I can't explain, I'll try, subconsciously most likely, to put a label on it. To define what happened, to tell myself it couldn't possibly be anything out of the ordinary. But when I can't, and I see no explanation for it, slowly but surely, I'm open to more and more possibilities.

On death, here's my view in a nutshell. If we cease to exist, I won't care that there was no afterlife, I won't even know that I had cared to begin with. If we continue to exist, and I had the thought that we wouldn't, then I know my whole life was spent waiting to die. If the thought of not existing is more comforting to you, than by all means. But I think my living self will be happier believing there is more to life than death. Why would these thoughts be inside so many people? If they were planted by others, who put the thought in their head? And so forth. Are humans really so?
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest