Dubstep

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Arcadian

Re: Dubstep

Postby Arcadian » 28 Mar 2012 04:56

I like melodic dubstep. Check out the artist "Blackmill". I listen to it while pondering life, lucid dreaming, and just relaxing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFjgpuWREM
False Awakening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6DArXj2V0

Check out more videos on my Youtube page!

Jacob D K

Postby Jacob D K » 17 May 2012 20:55

i make dubstep. most people say that it is computer noises. this is what i do to make one good sound. i select the channel massive. i lowere the pitch to -12.00, i click LFO, switch it to the stepper, make a good tune only with that. apply the stepper to the amp that is all the way down on the osc that is programmed to Dirty PWM, go to filter 1, put it on lowpass 4, turn the cutoff around 3/8 of the way up, and apply an interesting performer that i also programmed from scratch to the cutoff (with a bit of vibrato), turn the resenance all the way down, then i pull up S & H in "insert 1", and put dry/wet to about 7/16 and pitch all most about 11/16 the way up with vibrato going to 13/16, and last i put the modulating osc on phaser 1. After creating the sound i have to program the pitch, length and speed into a grid.

so go listen to a dubstep song, and that is how you make one of the notes.

So for all of you who believe it is just computer noises and is easy to make, you can kiss my lucid butt :evil:

PS: :roll: why is this argument even on a lucid dreaming forum?!?!?! :lol:

Kranter

Postby Kranter » 28 May 2012 01:32

IMO Skrillex sunds really wierd. Too techno poppy. lol. This shit here though, combined with a subwoofer is epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb56Wppaww4&feature=related

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Last time something dropped this hard
It ended World War 2.
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 16 Jun 2012 20:35

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT SONG SUGGESTIONS! Especially from you Arcadian. 8-)

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 19 Jun 2012 23:12

James wrote:Personally, i think dubstep ect has no skill, just a good digital music knowledge. People who just make random things on the computer may be good at computer, but not normal music ie piano/guitar.

Yeah, that's BS. Every genre has good and bad songs and artists. High and low levels of skill. "Normal" music doesn't exist, it's just what you think is most popular. That kind of small minded thinking will prevent you from seeing anything outside your little box.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 19 Jun 2012 23:16

KylePK wrote:I like to think of good dubstep creators as being similar to Beethoven. Seriously. Think about it, that guy had so much musical energies coursing through him on a regular basis. We have people like that today, some are composers, some guitarist or singers or bassists or horn players or any other known insturment, and others harness their computers to create the sounds that they keep imagining and dreaming of being real. People who create dubstep are just like any other composer, they just have a different instrument. Thinking of the computer as an new sort of instrument for creating music is crucial if you are ever to see dubstep as more than just noise. Expand you ways of thinking guys, just because its not conventional doesn't mean its not music and it does not mean that the creators are not a new modern age unique brand of musicians.

Well put. Seriously people, listen to this guy.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 20 Jun 2012 11:56

Jacob D K wrote:i make dubstep. most people say that it is computer noises. this is what i do to make one good sound. i select the channel massive. i lowere the pitch to -12.00, i click LFO, switch it to the stepper, make a good tune only with that. apply the stepper to the amp that is all the way down on the osc that is programmed to Dirty PWM, go to filter 1, put it on lowpass 4, turn the cutoff around 3/8 of the way up, and apply an interesting performer that i also programmed from scratch to the cutoff (with a bit of vibrato), turn the resenance all the way down, then i pull up S & H in "insert 1", and put dry/wet to about 7/16 and pitch all most about 11/16 the way up with vibrato going to 13/16, and last i put the modulating osc on phaser 1. After creating the sound i have to program the pitch, length and speed into a grid.

Don't let it get to you. People think that because there are no actual instruments, that it's not music. Take Mozart, for example. What made him great wasn't the fact that he was a really good piano player, anyone can learn to play an instrument if they took the time to learn. He was great for his compositions. How his music sounded. Not how his music was played. Ignorant people hear the opposite from ignorant people and go with it, without thinking for themselves. It's a shame, really.

Another example is the fact that all instruments are man made. Some seem to think electronic music is generic because it's made on the computer. The computer was man made as well, so it is a valid instrument. In fact, the keyboard is really just a simple version of the programs people use today. I've both learned the guitar and piano, so I can say, the complicity of what you can do with the computer, far surpasses those instruments. And probably every instrument. Dubstep and other electronic music's quality isn't based on what you use to make it, it's based on the person behind the instrument. It's based on their creativity, knowledge and passion. That's what makes good music. Thinking that quality music can't be made using a computer is a very shallow and narrow way of thinking, and will limit yourself, and your life.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 20 Jun 2012 14:25

"The great thing about digital music creation is that you don’t need a large amount of musical ability, "

Taken right from a dubstep program's site.

Ty8200 wrote:
James wrote:Personally, i think dubstep ect has no skill, just a good digital music knowledge. People who just make random things on the computer may be good at computer, but not normal music ie piano/guitar.

Yeah, that's BS. Every genre has good and bad songs and artists. High and low levels of skill. "Normal" music doesn't exist, it's just what you think is most popular. That kind of small minded thinking will prevent you from seeing anything outside your little box.

All genres have artists that have skills? What about pop? The only skills they have are being able to sing the songs. They don't even write them. The songwriters know how to write a simple song that takes no skill to sing or play, and make it catchy.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

siddle

Postby siddle » 20 Jun 2012 16:13

Thanks. I'm not so much of a fan myself, but my wife is....I think she will like this quite a bit. I don't rip on it for not being music, obviously. I play bass, drums and banjo (yeah, can you tell I like primus?). But as far as "skill"...well, I'm no Victor Wooten.

I mostly think it's about what you like. What moves you.

I used to be a music elitist....then realized why I don't like country music... James, apparently doesn't like dubstep. I'm with him on that. I just don't "personally" like it (mostly because I like that natural string bass sound more, is all). But to say there is no skill in "ALL" dubstep, is a bit off....ok, quite a bit off.

Medicine was a great band IMHO. Ambient rock music. I only know one other person that likes medicine. It's my favorite Brad Laner project. After the band Medicine, he formed "Electric Company". I wasn't a fan.....at all!
Point is, Brad Laner made one of my favourite bands....and one of my least favourite.

Shouldn't it just come down to what music you like?
Or should I bring my co-worker on here so he can tell us that all of our music tastes sucks, and that the Monkey's are the only ones responsible for making any "real" music. BWAHAHAHA!

But also, there are folks that have every ABBA album every made. Seriously...there are worse evils in this world, people. :lol:
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. --Douglas Adams

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 21 Jun 2012 17:21

WildCat23 wrote:"The great thing about digital music creation is that you don’t need a large amount of musical ability, "

Taken right from a dubstep program's site.

Ty8200 wrote:

All genres have artists that have skills? What about pop? The only skills they have are being able to sing the songs. They don't even write them. The songwriters know how to write a simple song that takes no skill to sing or play, and make it catchy.

Would you stop being so stereotypical? Not all pop has a separate singer and songwriter. One of my favorite pop artists not only sings, not only writes her own music, but also composes her songs and plays every instrument in her band. You're going on that a genre is owned by an individual company or record label. And that record label has a strict way of doing things. Seriously, do you even listen to music? And singing correctly, by the way, is very hard to do. If you're not going to use auto-tune, that is. Not everyone is JB, you know.

First, before you think you have the critique skills to judge dubstep, or any genre for that matter, about how it takes no skill to make a song, make a good song yourself, since its so easy, and say the same things afterwards. I don't see how some people are so ignorant.

Return to “Off-Topic”