I have a MIND, I have a BODY, but what is a SOUL?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.

Re: I have a MIND, I have a BODY, but what is a SOUL?

Postby Summerlander » 25 Jun 2012 19:36

Jesus didn't promise me anything. He was already long gone when I was born. And I'm definitely not relying on hearsay that is over two thousands years old and has been corrupted into beyond tripe many times over...

I'm not even sure if such a character even existed. If he did, there are more chances of him having been someone like David Blaine or Derren Brown (but with a charlatan twist) than "the son of God". :roll:

I'm still puzzled as to why some people in this day and age still take an old and unreliable proposition at face value and do everything they can to confirm or conclude it to be true in their twisted interpretations. The guy, if he existed, has been dead for millennia. Get over it!

The Bible is an insult to all of us. Why should we need to have common sense written down for us like we can't think for our selves like the ten commandments? "Thou shall not kill"; "thou shall not steal"; "thou shall not commit adultery"... well DUH!!! Of course you should be nice to people if that is how you would like to be treated! We could have had someone write the words "DON'T BE A C***" on a piece of paper - that ought to do the job... :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Re: I have a MIND, I have a BODY, but what is a SOUL?

Postby HAGART » 27 Jun 2012 04:15

I'm glad I brought this up because it is controversial and debatable.

I saw a great documentary the other day. It was Stephan Hawking discussing the meaning of life using physics. He mentioned a great thinker named Descart who questioned the difference and connection between the mind and body. He could close his eyes and pretend to exist and he did, as we all can, in a day dream or in thought. So the mind was separate. But he could not, and nor can I, imagine a body with no mind because to imagine you need a mind. He therefore declared, "I think, therefore I am". The documentary went on to explain everything I already was thinking... that the mind is the product of the physical brain and cannot be measured or quantified in our physical reality. Our minds exist without physics. But our brains that make this world that we see subjectively is the result of many quarks, atoms, neurons, and electrical and chemical impulses. In other words... the universe is observing itself......... Sorry, it can be a little deep in thought and we could just be living in a computer program right now and it only 'FEELS' real. That's another debate that has been brought up already. (I forget the name of that theory)

I still believe there is a mind and body, but no 'soul' to speak of. (maybe the soul is just an euphemism for 'morals and scruples'... which are a product of the mind.) Which is a no duh type of thing. All the ten commandments had to say was, "don't be a deusch!" But they had to go on and say, "Don't make false idols or use the god's name in vain" I don't know why... maybe because that would undermine the whole faith system that makes people believe in things that have no merit or empirical evidence to exist.

And discussing the mind and body has everything to do with lucid dreaming, so this is not off topic. I am still agnostic and open minded, and I don't think anybody is offended on either side of the debate. I was just wondering how people justify the existence of a soul. And it seems to be very black and white, or left and right. There is not much gray area or, ....( what would be the middle of left or right?)... straight ahead?

We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”