What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Ty8200

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 29 Jun 2012 12:09

Worldenterer1 wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:Very interesting to me. Maybe we are just piles of bones and organs that exist for the sake of random occurrence. Maybe not. Maybe the entire universe we know is a figment of our imagination. Maybe not. I choose to believe in this way because it's the one thing I can be sure of. Science is also very interesting to me, but it doesn't fall outside my belief. I feel harmony, in one word. That is the feeling.

http://youtu.be/9D05ej8u-gU?hd=1

Okay, I had a long message, but I deleted it for this question instead. Can you tell me what he's explaining in this video. I watched it, and I fully understand it. I just want to know what you think he's talking about before I go any further.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 29 Jun 2012 12:14

LMAO!!! :lol:

I'm sorry! I'm not laughing at you - just your naivete which is common amongst many young people. You are talking about Duncan MacLeod. Oh no, not that one! I meant Duncan MacDougall but he might as well have been the first one if he believes in immortality.

^^^^ Hmm... I know it's a bit delayed, but this has been bugging me for awhile. ^^^^

I don't consider myself to be naive. If I were to say "OMG the soul exists because a scientist says so! In ur face, Springlander!!!" then maybe. But I simply found the study interesting! Like I said, whether it's to my favor or not, I believe nothing.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 29 Jun 2012 14:02

SGraham wrote:oh well sorry it's just that you defended the possibility of the exsistance of god so pasionatly that i just assumed you were religious. and you know what hapens when you assume . . .
any way i know the definition of agnostic you dont need to define it . but id consider my self an agnostic atheist because im almost certian of the non existance of God but yeah its not like i can prove it. but agnostic athiest sounds stupid so if i had to go by one or the other id go by athiest.

Well, like you said, no one can prove He does or doesn't exist. That's the only point I'm trying to get across. I like to be passionate about everything, sorry if it comes off as something else. Anyway, you sound like an agnostic more than an atheist. An atheist would say "I am certain of the non-existence of God, period". Where you said "I'm almost certain of the non-existence of God, but yeah, it's not like I can prove it". To me, you sound more sensible. Then there are "new" atheists. The people who not only "know" there is no God, but advocate and write books about how they "know" there is no God. Maybe there isn't, but no one has the power to make that call.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 29 Jun 2012 15:20

Ty8200 wrote:whether it's to my favor or not, I believe nothing
im so glad you brought this up. i know it's not exactly the point you were trying to get across but its close enough : ok so baisicly it bugs me whenever people say " do you believe in this do you beleive in that." well the word believe denotes some form of trust like you think something is true or factual without proper evidence. So i technicaly speaking dont Believe in anything. so ya i know it dosent relate to the prior topic but Ty8200's quote made me remeber it. ya this wasnt ment to dis any one i just wanted to bring up a new sub topic . . . . . . so defining the word believe . . . Go!

P.S. i know i probably spelled believe wrong. sorry i dont have spell check :?
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 29 Jun 2012 15:39

SGraham wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:whether it's to my favor or not, I believe nothing
im so glad you brought this up. i know it's not exactly the point you were trying to get across but its close enough : ok so baisicly it bugs me whenever people say " do you believe in this do you beleive in that." well the word believe denotes some form of trust like you think something is true or factual without proper evidence. So i technicaly speaking dont Believe in anything. so ya i know it dosent relate to the prior topic but Ty8200's quote made me remeber it. ya this wasnt ment to dis any one i just wanted to bring up a new sub topic . . . . . . so defining the word believe . . . Go!

P.S. i know i probably spelled believe wrong. sorry i dont have spell check :?

Hmm... Yes, that's an interesting question. What does it mean to believe? You pretty much summed it up. Having a trust in something that you think is true. Since I think we, as humans, could be looking at everything we know in the wrong way, I can't say I believe in anything, except everything. Leaving my mind open to every possibility, untethered in a sense. There are some things I want to believe more than others, but I know nothing is definite.

P.S. You only misspell "believe" once. But it looks more like a typo, since the E and I are simply reversed.

Happy birthday... I think.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 29 Jun 2012 17:53

Ty8200 wrote:I can't say I believe in anything, except everything. Leaving my mind open to every possibility, untethered in a sense
yeah thats pretty much what i think, because you can prove something exsists but you can't prove something doesn't exsist.

and yeah it's my birth-day
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 29 Jun 2012 22:32

SGraham wrote:. . . . mind blown ! any way summerlander you seem to have pretty decent knowledge of quantum physics and the like, do by any chanse watch the show The Universe on history chanel. its a personal favorite of mine . :geek:

I did watch a recent one about the Universe and how it works. It talked about different stars, galaxies and black holes. I loved it when it was mentioned that the sun will end up a "big diamond in the sky". How poetic!

I also love the subject of quantum physics, it is fascinating and I love the weirdness. Like the rest of us, I don't understand it though! LOL! :D

It is also intriguing to think that me, you and everything else around us is just stardust. Look at the complexity and the beauty it adopted overtime! It has formed so many things and it is now looking at itself!!

A lucid dreamer once asked a dream character: "who am I?"
The dream character looked at the dreamer and replied: "Everything and nothing."

@ Ty:

Hey, matey! I'm sorry if I came across a bit bold there, I didn't mean anything by it. The doctor's initial claim, before one looks at the factors involved, is certainly intriguing... until we find that he thinks the soul weighs 21 grams... (this is the incredulous off-putting part)

Anyway, I'm not ruling out the possibility that we live several lives, I just think that there is no need for a soul for that to be possible. This is why this is my signature on another forum to hint at where I stand when it comes to consciousness:

"Reality is a full-void. We experience what fills it because we are the void itself. Intrinsically, we are empty awareness."
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 30 Jun 2012 07:17

Anyway, I'm not ruling out the possibility that we live several lives, I just think that there is no need for a soul for that to be possible. This is why this is my signature on another forum to hint at where I stand when it comes to consciousness:

"Reality is a full-void. We experience what fills it because we are the void itself. Intrinsically, we are empty awareness."

Hm, yes. I understand where you're coming from. I'm not ruling out the possibility that we don't have souls, I just think there is no need to decide for sure, when we can't be certain.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 30 Jun 2012 07:30

SGraham wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:I can't say I believe in anything, except everything. Leaving my mind open to every possibility, untethered in a sense
yeah thats pretty much what i think, because you can prove something exsists but you can't prove something doesn't exsist.

I don't think we can even prove anything exists, either, because like I said, we could be seeing or understanding everything we know in the wrong way. Think if language didn't exist. We couldn't label anything. We couldn't say what was or wasn't. But because language does exist, we DO label everything. But we label it with words. How meaningful is bits of noise? We created the definitions. How do we know those definitions are right? Is what we see correct, even? Because, we label with our senses. What we decide is true or false shouldn't be the issue, it should be the way we use our senses to thrive as a species. And so we do. I can simply understand that everything may be false. So I take in information, but I never commit to believing in it, full force.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Jul 2012 00:09

I have a suggestion for people who want answers to certain questions but don't trust or resonate with the opinions and explanations of others. Have a lucid dream and ask a dream character any question you want. Ask the dream itself, even, to show you something that will bring you to a great realisation. See what you get.

Perhaps you will be shown a perspective that you wouldn't normally consider and be surprised. Don't be alarmed or mystified with what you get though. We are the universe and those answers may not be as inaccessible as one might think. Search the depths of your unconscious mind, reach within, find the source of what you have become and you might just realise that you are at one with everything.

Enjoy the adventure... 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”