Dubstep

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Ty8200

Re: Dubstep

Postby Ty8200 » 21 Jun 2012 17:23

siddle wrote:Thanks. I'm not so much of a fan myself, but my wife is....I think she will like this quite a bit. I don't rip on it for not being music, obviously. I play bass, drums and banjo (yeah, can you tell I like primus?). But as far as "skill"...well, I'm no Victor Wooten.

I mostly think it's about what you like. What moves you.

I used to be a music elitist....then realized why I don't like country music... James, apparently doesn't like dubstep. I'm with him on that. I just don't "personally" like it (mostly because I like that natural string bass sound more, is all). But to say there is no skill in "ALL" dubstep, is a bit off....ok, quite a bit off.

Medicine was a great band IMHO. Ambient rock music. I only know one other person that likes medicine. It's my favorite Brad Laner project. After the band Medicine, he formed "Electric Company". I wasn't a fan.....at all!
Point is, Brad Laner made one of my favourite bands....and one of my least favourite.

Shouldn't it just come down to what music you like?
Or should I bring my co-worker on here so he can tell us that all of our music tastes sucks, and that the Monkey's are the only ones responsible for making any "real" music. BWAHAHAHA!

But also, there are folks that have every ABBA album every made. Seriously...there are worse evils in this world, people. :lol:

Agreed.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 21 Jun 2012 22:43

well it depends on how you define skill . . . because being able to artfully peice together other instruments probably does require skill. as aposed to other music were the skill is actualy getting sound out of the instrument.
P.S. i personaly dont care for dubstep
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 22 Jun 2012 16:32

SGraham wrote:well it depends on how you define skill . . . because being able to artfully peice together other instruments probably does require skill. as aposed to other music were the skill is actualy getting sound out of the instrument.
P.S. i personaly dont care for dubstep

Yes, well, is also depends on how you define artfully. The sounds that can be created using a professional modern day program far surpass the amount of sounds and variations you can get out of an instrument of wood or metal. If someone can piece together those sounds artfully, it should be considered the same quality.

icymx

Postby icymx » 28 Jun 2012 13:18

I am against dubstep. Not because I think it isn't music, but because it has been commercialized, just like rock music was several years ago.

If you don't understand what I mean, think about it - dubstep has been around for years. The only reason people are starting to enjoy it now is because the media has suddenly "discovered" it, and they are distributing it as an alternative to pop music - everybody wants to be different, so there are many people listening to dubstep to "stand out". This is rather ironic because, since everybody is doing it, it no longer makes them different to other people.

Society is very much driven by peer-pressure: if everyone is doing something, then it is harder to resist. I believe this is why dubstep is currently popular, not because it is actually any good. I am willing to debate if anybody disagrees.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Lucid Dreams:
WILD: 1
Accidental Lucid Dream With Absolutely No Knowledge of the Subject Whatsoever: 1

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 28 Jun 2012 17:21

no i agree with you for the most part society is extremly peer presure driven. for example my friend never had an intrest in hip hop or rap or anything like that but as soon as we went in to high school he couldnt get enough of it.
How do you define real ?

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 29 Jun 2012 12:26

icymx wrote:I am against dubstep. Not because I think it isn't music, but because it has been commercialized, just like rock music was several years ago.

If you don't understand what I mean, think about it - dubstep has been around for years. The only reason people are starting to enjoy it now is because the media has suddenly "discovered" it, and they are distributing it as an alternative to pop music - everybody wants to be different, so there are many people listening to dubstep to "stand out". This is rather ironic because, since everybody is doing it, it no longer makes them different to other people.

Society is very much driven by peer-pressure: if everyone is doing something, then it is harder to resist. I believe this is why dubstep is currently popular, not because it is actually any good. I am willing to debate if anybody disagrees.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

No offense, but it's rather sad you base what you like or dislike based on it's popularity. You're simply the opposite of most people. You dislike something because it's popular, whereas most people like something because it's popular. Another thing I can't seem to understand is why almost everyone in this forum is so damn stereotypical. It's stupid to say a genre is bad. I wasn't even aware dubstep was popular. I don't listen to it, because I favor other genres, but to say all dubstep is bad, is stupid.

Another thing is, everyone isn't in high-school. People can be somewhat mature and make their own minds, even if they are. Secondly, has it occurred to you that it's popularity grew because people actually liked it. Real people don't listen to music to fit in, they listen to music for the joy of doing so.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 29 Jun 2012 15:24

Ty8200 wrote:Real people don't listen to music to fit in, they listen to music for the joy of doing so.
YES thank you . it seem's like everyone i know dosen't follow that priciple! my friends always will be listing to the most random wierd stuff as long as its popular.
How do you define real ?

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 29 Jun 2012 15:44

SGraham wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:Real people don't listen to music to fit in, they listen to music for the joy of doing so.
YES thank you . it seem's like everyone i know dosen't follow that priciple! my friends always will be listing to the most random wierd stuff as long as its popular.

Too sad. Music should be a thing of beauty, yet for the most part, it's been turned into a popularity contest. Such is life, I suppose.

Return to “Off-Topic”