Do you believe in a multiverse?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Do you believe in the Multiverse theory?

Yeah
68%
No man thats wack
11%
I stay away from belief discussions as I dont fully understand the concept yet
14%
...Multiverse theory?
7%

Total votes: 28

Jack Reacher

Do you believe in a multiverse?

Postby Jack Reacher » 29 Jun 2012 22:51

After reading some more of the religous topic I have decided to do an interesting poll that should help people understand what a belief is, I think this is an interesting topic to do it on.

If you dont know what the multiverse theory is, just look it up on wiki or something. Basically it says our universe is one of infinitely many, each with their own physical laws slightly different, and that we happen to be in ours because our physical laws supports "life".

Heres the interesting part, how do we go about saying whether we believe in it or not? We will never get any proof for this theory as the universes are distinct (in theory) and cannot be observed. We cannot get any scientific evidence for their existence, yet can we still say we can believe in them? Personally I do, I think its bizarre that the only thing in existence is our sole universe, I guess its more of an intuitive argument.

Also its a pretty harmless belief, it has no influence on my life as it doesnt change my perspective or goals in this universe, and it doesnt change my perspective on the afterlife.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Re: Do you believe in a multiverse?

Postby Peter » 29 Jun 2012 22:58

Heres the interesting part, how do we go about saying whether we believe in it or not

None of the above.....

I had the thought in quotes and then read it in your post. I dont believe or not believe and that is not fence sitting. I am open minded and so cant say yes or not as we are taking about belief not fact. So I have made my mind up both ways - yes and no :D
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 29 Jun 2012 23:43

Recently, scientists have arrived at the conclusion that their inflation theory also predicts an infinite number of different universes and all occurring an infinite number of times!!! Imagine that! Of course, the maths will support this but getting the proof may be harder.

Perhaps the discovery of the Higgs' boson or something like it with all its properties may have something definite to say about the subject. There has also been talks of sending a space probe to a black hole - where the known laws of physical would seem to fall apart.

Who knows, perhaps black holes lead to other universes. There is a strong argument for the idea that our big bang arose from a black hole in another universe and that our black holes are giving rise to other universes in different space-time fabrics. Consider the possibilities. There is no shame in being open to these scenarios.

Also, these ideas of existence and infinity shouldn't affect whether there is an afterlife or not.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 30 Jun 2012 02:29

i believe our universe was created out of the destruction of a prior one , kinda like a pheonix. but yeah scientist have hypothisedes that after a universes " Big crunch" it creates another universe
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 30 Jun 2012 07:34

Peter wrote:
Heres the interesting part, how do we go about saying whether we believe in it or not

None of the above.....

I had the thought in quotes and then read it in your post. I dont believe or not believe and that is not fence sitting. I am open minded and so cant say yes or not as we are taking about belief not fact. So I have made my mind up both ways - yes and no :D

I agree.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 30 Jun 2012 17:56

There's actually no religion that goes against it. They didn't understand stuff like this thousands of years ago.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 30 Jun 2012 23:42

It's far more likely than not that there is a multiverse. To assume the universe we occupy is the only one is quite naive in the grand scheme of possibilities.
Dreaming is my drug

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 01 Jul 2012 00:34

torakrubik wrote:It's far more likely than not that there is a multiverse. To assume the universe we occupy is the only one is quite naive in the grand scheme of possibilities.

Same could be said about anything...
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » 01 Jul 2012 00:40

I have to believe in the multiverse.

Wait, let me rephrase that: I NEED to believe that somewhere I'm actually Batman.

...it gets me through the day. :lol:
There is no spoon.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Jul 2012 00:53

Something is nothing and nothing is something

You'd think my statement above is somewhat paradoxical, or nonsensical even but something rings true. Read it forwards and backwards and it is exactly the same.

Indeed, anything could be said about anything

Anything about said be could anything
Anything about said be could same
About anything said could be same

Nah, it doesn't work...

I'm sorry, I'm just messing :mrgreen:

ps. somewhere I need to believe that I'm Jigsaw or Darth Vader.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”