Do you believe in a multiverse?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Do you believe in the Multiverse theory?

Yeah
68%
No man thats wack
11%
I stay away from belief discussions as I dont fully understand the concept yet
14%
...Multiverse theory?
7%

Total votes: 28

Peter

Re: Do you believe in a multiverse?

Postby Peter » 02 Jul 2012 21:22

So are you saying you understand the size of our universe? Who's to say it never ends? The whole concept is rather useless if you're going to use that logic

No I am saying that we are like little children in a nursery that think we have profound understanding of something that is beyond us and like children we will make a lot of noise to get our beliefs accepted. Infinity is a word that is misused and does not mean what is in most peoples minds, it is more descriptive of a state of play rather that an absolute definition. It almost means we dont understand but this will do until we can.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 02 Jul 2012 23:09

Peter wrote:
So are you saying you understand the size of our universe? Who's to say it never ends? The whole concept is rather useless if you're going to use that logic

No I am saying that we are like little children in a nursery that think we have profound understanding of something that is beyond us and like children we will make a lot of noise to get our beliefs accepted. Infinity is a word that is misused and does not mean what is in most peoples minds, it is more descriptive of a state of play rather that an absolute definition. It almost means we dont understand but this will do until we can.

Yes, nice analogy. But if you believe this, we would have the need for the word infinite, unless you propose these little children remove the word and use others that describe things which they don't understand. Infinite means something without bounds, or limits. You can believe everything in this universe, or multiverse has a limit, but that's just a belief. I don't think the word infinite is useless, or describes something we don't understand, it's just one of the ways to look at our universe. We'll probably never really know if it's infinite or not, so why throw the idea out the window.

ah yes well if the universe is expanding than it would inherintly have to be finite because if it is infinite it canot expand. and because of what we now about the redshift effect we know the universe is expanding
so baisicly expanding universe=finite universe.

Think of it this way: if you blow up a balloon, eventually it will pop. But when it does, it will create more balloons, and those popping balloons will create more balloons. This is similar to our universe, in science. So in terms of infinite, I would say, with this logic, that it has the ability to infinitely expand. So if you could pause time (considering time really exists) then the universe would most likely be finite, or appear finite, but since we can't, then the universe would be infinite.

Then that brings to question whether you believe in eternity or not. Both concepts are mind boggling to me. If eternity doesn't exist, did we, and our universe simply come into being, but from what, it had to start somewhere, right? If it does, did we ever truly start? Eternity has no beginning. Eternity has no end. And since our universe is expanding in an infinite way, if eternity did exist, it would support the infinite nature of our universe.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 03 Jul 2012 01:51

Ty8200 wrote:Think of it this way: if you blow up a balloon, eventually it will pop. But when it does, it will create more balloons, and those popping balloons will create more balloons. This is similar to our universe, in science. So in terms of infinite, I would say, with this logic, that it has the ability to infinitely expand. So if you could pause time (considering time really exists) then the universe would most likely be finite, or appear finite, but since we can't, then the universe would be infinite.

I totally get what your saying. the whole eternity concept is puzzling because as you said it would have to have a begining. my only idea is maybe time and space always have existed and always will. because after all if you look at the law of conservation of matter : energy cannot be created or destroyed only converted. it's a mind boggling idea to think that there's no begining , time and space have always existed .
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 03 Jul 2012 02:59

SGraham wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:Think of it this way: if you blow up a balloon, eventually it will pop. But when it does, it will create more balloons, and those popping balloons will create more balloons. This is similar to our universe, in science. So in terms of infinite, I would say, with this logic, that it has the ability to infinitely expand. So if you could pause time (considering time really exists) then the universe would most likely be finite, or appear finite, but since we can't, then the universe would be infinite.

I totally get what your saying. the whole eternity concept is puzzling because as you said it would have to have a begining. my only idea is maybe time and space always have existed and always will. because after all if you look at the law of conservation of matter : energy cannot be created or destroyed only converted. it's a mind boggling idea to think that there's no begining , time and space have always existed .

Truly. It seems like eternity has to exist. But the idea is somewhat unfathomable. And why do we question these things? It's strange... Very strange...

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 03 Jul 2012 04:56

yeah its puzzling to think that the universe some how has developed sentient beings that question the nature of it's self.
How do you define real ?

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Jul 2012 05:49

I don't think the word infinite is useless

I never used that word and it is usefull as it the best we have to describe the event for now. I dont disagree with most of what is said as they are beliefs so how could I, facts are a little different adn we are way short of them if we think that the universe is expanding into nothing or anything is infinite. :)
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 Jul 2012 22:11

Just the other day I tried to explain to my eight year-old son that there is no highest number because you can always add more to it. Likewise, there is no smallest number either if you imagine that there is always the half of something.

On expansion... the universe expands, our consciousness evolves, and we are taller today than we've ever been.

Go back a couple of millennia and you'd see that the short folks of today would be considered tall.
Go back even further and the world is a different place.
Back even further and eventually we come to realise that dust is playing with funny forms to a level of complexity where, eventually, with the passage of time, it is safe to say that the forms are now playing with the dust.

It's a circus and we are the clowns. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Jul 2012 01:02

and the show goes on and on and on and on :D

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 04 Jul 2012 03:47

Summerlander wrote:Likewise, there is no smallest number either if you imagine that there is always the half of something.
in theory that's true, but there is a strange idea, the plank length . plank length is a hypothized sub-atomic particle that cannot be cut in half. thats just almost unimaginable.
How do you define real ?

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 04 Jul 2012 06:56

Peter wrote:
I don't think the word infinite is useless

I never used that word and it is usefull as it the best we have to describe the event for now. I dont disagree with most of what is said as they are beliefs so how could I, facts are a little different adn we are way short of them if we think that the universe is expanding into nothing or anything is infinite. :)

Don't you understand that we can't ever know that. Facts are really just accepted ideas. If someone came to the conclusion that the universe is finite, and it was accepted, it would be a fact. Likewise, if another person came to the conclusion that it was infinite, it would also be fact. But any research or understandings would be based on previously accepted ideas, and it goes on forever. If anything, we don't need facts anymore than we need words.

Return to “Off-Topic”