A recurring problem during WILD attempt...please help

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Intrepid

A recurring problem during WILD attempt...please help

Postby Intrepid » 04 Jul 2012 14:07

I've posted about this in the past, maybe 6-8 months ago. My first two serious WILD attempts were successful and that motivated me to keep trying after I understood what it felt like and trusted the method. This particular problem only happens when I am determined to make a WILD attempt, and I feel as though I'm close. Here is what happens.
I can get myself into a state of complete relaxation in about 10 minutes. I do this by counting from 99-1, 1-99 etc etc, and every 5 numbers I mouth or think the words "I am dreaming". Once I catch myself drifting off instead of counting, I go back to the last number where I left off. After several times, I'll recognize that I'm drifting off to sleep and that I am totally relaxed. I then turn my concentration to my physical body and that's where the problem starts. There is an overwhelming urge to move or shift position. Resisting it causes me to have to change my breathing and my heart rate increases. Last night I resisted the urge for what seemed like an eternity and then just gave up due to frustration and my concentration being worthless.
Does anyone else experience this?? How do you work through it? Please help!!

Peter

Re: A recurring problem during WILD attempt...please help

Postby Peter » 04 Jul 2012 20:30

If you need to move and the urge is that strong if upsets you then move and start again. Resisting is worse that accepting and starting again. Keep in mind that you go to sleep every night and all we are trying to do in a WILD is capture that instant with awareness.

I dont even bother with relaxing to much these days, it takes me from 5 to 20 minutes to go to sleep and I can feel when this is coming on so I only give my attention to the WILD at the last minute when it needed and it works well for me.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » 04 Jul 2012 20:55

I've read elsewhere that the urges to move or scratch are signals from the brain to the body to test whether or not it is asleep, and that ignoring these will give the brain the OK to start sleep paralysis. For obvious reasons, starting SP on a body that is active could be a disaster. ?
Also, when I say "WILD", I am including everything from the relaxation methods to concentrating on hypnagogic imagery and everything that goes along with the process of falling asleep while conscious, not just getting HI and then transitioning into a WILD. I should probably have been a bit more specific.

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Jul 2012 21:08

I think I got the meaning, and WILD is a way to describe woa to go so in my mind covers everything.

I am not sure that the itches and scratches are sleep signs, they do come during the process but not always. The urge to roll over if you start on your back is a sign that you are close. The idea is to resist if you can or if the effort of resisting breaks the state and you start to wake up then it is not working and so do something else.

As for SP I sometimes get it but most times dont. I see so often the WILD process laid out as if it is a shopping list that is lineir, this leads to that to that and so on. It is not like that as there is no set path. There is a goal, some intent and whatever it takes to get there (LD) is fine and then historical as it hardly ever goes the same way twice.
Dont get to hung up on the right way just follow intuition and you will get there soon
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » 04 Jul 2012 21:21

Thank you for the feedback, Peter. =)
I do feel that I am very close when I get the urge to shift position. It only ever happens when I am totally and completely relaxed, and/or have started to drift into HI. I do kind of use a "shopping list", but only in my methods of preparing myself to completely relax. IE: Taking note when my limbs become indistinguishable from the feel of the bed, when counting becomes difficult to maintain at a slow and steady pace, and when my thoughts are coming and going freely from my mind at a quick pace (this always happens just before HI begins). I've analyzed my personal process quite a bit over the last 6 months =)..there's just this one last hurdle to overcome and I know i'll have a process in place that will set me up for success.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 07 Jul 2012 01:09

I'll mirror what Peter said.

I approach my meditations and projection practice as if I'm normally falling asleep at night to sleep. If you get an itch, quietly and calmly scratch it. If you have to cough, cough...

The point is doing so and remaining quiet and calm, you can retain your state of mind still. Just take care of what you need to take care of, but do it calmly. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » 07 Jul 2012 13:40

After reading about those itches and urges being signals to check if I am asleep, I decided to do my best and focus through them. It worked, and I went into partial SP and got a ton of HI. Unfortunately, I wanted full SP and ignored the HI in an attempt to go deeper. I ended up missing my opportunity after I couldn't stay awake any longer. Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”