What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
22
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
38
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
29
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
29
25%
 
Total votes: 118

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3655
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 03 Jul 2012 22:31

I guarantee killing animals or not killing animals is not going to matter in the end. It's how you feel about doing it that could matter. Hence my whole point we are here to learn.


So true. So true.

@Ty:
On vegetarians: they still need to make sure that they get a few vital nutrients. Personally, I think they are missing out on tasty meat! :mrgreen:

Being a vegetarian doesn't mean that you are going to prolong your life. There are people who eat everything and outlive some vegies. In the end, it doesn't matter because we will all die - so why not make the most of it?

If you are a vegie and you tell me that you are one because you don't like chicken you are lying. Well, in fact, you like chickens (or respect them even though some of your own kind - us humans - often have to work hard to earn respect) and thus don't eat them! I like chickens, too, (they're cute) but I also like to eat them!

I believe we have canine teeth for a reason. I use mine. Canines on vegies must be a surplus then.

By the way, here's a thought: by not eating dead animals, you are making their carcases go to waste and they will have died in vain, so, why not eat the meat of an animal that has already been killed by somebody else? :twisted:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Peter
Posts: 1951
Joined: 26 May 2011 08:02
Location: New Zealand

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Peter » 04 Jul 2012 01:00

I think that most of our world is around comfort and so we make some very odd reasons for what we do or dont so (not eating meat) and one upon a time is was around survival and that would give us another perspective. I cant get serious about a vegetarian caveman.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

SGraham
Posts: 119
Joined: 13 Jun 2012 00:59
Location: California

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby SGraham » 04 Jul 2012 03:57

Summerlander wrote:There are people who eat everything and outlive some vegies. In the end, it doesn't matter because we will all die - so why not make the most of it?


First of all i totally respect vegetarians, i myself tried to be vegetarian for a brief time but found that i was going out of my way to the point that it was just to much of a pain. but any way i think summerlander made a really good point when he said we are all gonna die why not make the most of it. and also if you think about it the animal is already dead so it's not like eating it makes the animal's life worse.
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 04 Jul 2012 05:28

Summerlander wrote:
I guarantee killing animals or not killing animals is not going to matter in the end. It's how you feel about doing it that could matter. Hence my whole point we are here to learn.


So true. So true.

@Ty:
On vegetarians: they still need to make sure that they get a few vital nutrients. Personally, I think they are missing out on tasty meat! :mrgreen:

Being a vegetarian doesn't mean that you are going to prolong your life. There are people who eat everything and outlive some vegies. In the end, it doesn't matter because we will all die - so why not make the most of it?

If you are a vegie and you tell me that you are one because you don't like chicken you are lying. Well, in fact, you like chickens (or respect them even though some of your own kind - us humans - often have to work hard to earn respect) and thus don't eat them! I like chickens, too, (they're cute) but I also like to eat them!

I believe we have canine teeth for a reason. I use mine. Canines on vegies must be a surplus then.

By the way, here's a thought: by not eating dead animals, you are making their carcases go to waste and they will have died in vain, so, why not eat the meat of an animal that has already been killed by somebody else? :twisted:


You people don't understand anything. First, I'm a vegetarian because I don't feel right about eating animals, I see it differently than a meat eater. Besides, it is much healthier. What are these vital nutrients you're talking about? One of those B vitamins you get from bullshit? No thanks. Besides, that's just the cheaper method. There are other ways of getting it. Protein can come from many places, like beans, fiber too. As for every other nutrient or vitamin, unless you're a health nut, you aren't getting anything I'm not.

Second, no one likes meat. They like the seasonings, the way it's cooked, and the deep frying. Eat a raw piece of chicken and tell me differently. I'm not one of those vegetarians that go around thinking I'm better than a meat eater, so stop getting defensive.

Haha, and that last sentence is funny. You think cows and chickens fall from the sky and die. And if we don't eat them, they go to waste? The meat business is supply and demand. Less animals will die if less people eat meat. The stores will stop wanting meat if no one's buying.

Furthermore, I'm not missing out on anything, trust me. I've eaten meat before, and there's nothing special about it. You can cook delicious meals without meat, and I won't have to worry about it.

Lastly, we have 2 tiny fangs. Look at lions. Do we have teeth like that. Hell no.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 04 Jul 2012 05:32

SGraham wrote:
Summerlander wrote:There are people who eat everything and outlive some vegies. In the end, it doesn't matter because we will all die - so why not make the most of it?


First of all i totally respect vegetarians, i myself tried to be vegetarian for a brief time but found that i was going out of my way to the point that it was just to much of a pain. but any way i think summerlander made a really good point when he said we are all gonna die why not make the most of it. and also if you think about it the animal is already dead so it's not like eating it makes the animal's life worse.


Really, it was never hard for me. And like I told SL, the less people eating meat, the less animals will die. It's supply and demand. They don't simply fall from the sky and die.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 04 Jul 2012 05:35

Peter wrote:I think that most of our world is around comfort and so we make some very odd reasons for what we do or dont so (not eating meat) and one upon a time is was around survival and that would give us another perspective. I cant get serious about a vegetarian caveman.


What's with the heavy focus on my vegetarianism? Are people subconsciously feeling guilty about eating meat, so they have to get defensive and justify what they do? Interesting, I suppose. As for a vegetarian caveman, well true, but this was back in the day where we had to hunt for our food, we had no choice really.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 04 Jul 2012 06:41

Contradiction you said we haven't progressed, but that we have advanced?


Advanced in areas that don't matter in the long run. As far as progression as a species is what I'm talking about.

Wrong: Cows pollute the planet everyday it's called methane :D Meteors destroyed the earth before that and according to my beliefs the earth will destroy us before it allows us to destroy it. It's all a big recycling plant. I thought you would like that. There has been at least three earth ages. ohh and save the soul of a human before you worry about saving the planet in the long run it will work out.


WHAT!? WTF are you talking about? Methane is a greenhouse gas. It can occur with the fermentation of organic matter, like manure, but again, this is a human error. If we didn't have places with thousands upon thousands of cows in small areas, it wouldn't be an issue. But since we do, and we NEED meat, else we'll die, we have to blame the cows for methane. Wow. And methane is used as a fuel source, guess where that fuel goes? I'm guessing not to power a cow's warm bath and 1964 station wagon.

I stopped hunting when I started appreciating a live squirrel more than a dead squirrel. Heck i would just salt the tail and give it to the cats to play with. Contrary to what some people may tell you...Squirrel sucks to eat. That doesn't mean they have a soul though. They can't...it doesn't make sense. I do hunt plants and mushrooms though I guess that's for fun, but it's also for knowledge.


Well, you're sick. Oh, my apologies, what "sense" are you talking about? Why does it make sense for a human to have a soul and a squirrel not? I think you're in denial, good sir. If you're going to believe a human has a soul, you need to believe a squirrel has one too. What is a soul? Is it a physical component of the human body? If not, then it's something invisible and if it is, then how could you say a squirrel doesn't have one? You've never been a squirrel, however if you were that squirrel getting chased around by what would seem like monster lions, you wouldn't want to be. Are you going by what you've been told? How would anyone know better than anyone else?

You know what i meant and that is not a valid argument.


Excuse me? How is it not valid? A lion can choose not to eat, I've seen it. You said they can't, it's a lie. I suppose it's not a valid argument because you know I have a point, right?

Really.....stupidity? It's called cognitive thought and preparation with planning and how do i say this BALLS. I was outnumbered in a paintball game one time surprised two opponents hiding in tall grass gave quarter and was fired on. Next time i shoot first.


Cognitive thought? It's just more human created noise. And uh, balls? Humans are cowards in the face of danger. They hide behind the protection of others and would gladly throw someone to the wolves to save themselves. Haha, paintball game? You can't seriously compare a silly game of paintball to a survival of the fittest scenario, can you? It's so far different, it's not even funny.

This is where I begin to question me even typing this...............ughhh. Really a belief system based on what? I know your going to say i can't prove they don't but that's like saying i didn't take the last cookie but i was the only one in the kitchen. Nobody can prove it, but really?


Another lazy analogy, not to a surprise. It's not anywhere near the same thing. You have to use a tiny bit of logic. First, realize that we have a brain, like animals do. You don't think they work in a similar way? We are animals that simply go about life in a different way. We eat, sleep, reproduce and die. If there was some great difference in us, we wouldn't be so similar. The whole belief system is another human created illusion. So animals may not have one, but I guess we don't either.

So I dodge animals on the road, don't hunt anymore and go out of my way to not kill animals unless it presents a threat to civilization (rats, who do happen to spread disease....another wrong fact from you) However if someone said i would go to hell or wherever else they could imagine for killing an animal I would do it just to make them mad (sorry theoretical animal). I guarantee killing animals or not killing animals is not going to matter in the end. It's how you feel about doing it that could matter. Hence my whole point we are here to learn.


In the end, it may or may not matter. But while you live, it will. Again, you're a sick person to kill an animal just for the sake of making someone mad. I don't know why I'm even conversing with you. You can't guarantee anything. You think you've above other people? Well, you're not. You can choose to believe anything you wish, but it doesn't make it true.

Ultimately we won't agree, had fun, but eating my grandpa's turkey flesh is making me tired.


What a surprise, you can't even have the decency or maturity to end without a sarcastic, mocking remark.

And please, if you post again, use the QUOTE tool. Just highlight the text you want to quote and hit the quote button, simple.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

SGraham
Posts: 119
Joined: 13 Jun 2012 00:59
Location: California

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby SGraham » 04 Jul 2012 16:04

Ty8200 wrote:What's with the heavy focus on my vegetarianism? Are people subconsciously feeling guilty about eating meat, so they have to get defensive and justify what they do?


we're not trying to attack you, we're just putting forth our reasons for not being vegetarians. as i said before i have the upmost respect for vegetarians, i just couldn't do it my self.
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200
Posts: 105
Joined: 04 Jun 2012 08:26

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ty8200 » 04 Jul 2012 22:44

we're not trying to attack you

I'd hope not.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3655
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 04 Jul 2012 23:22

We're not getting defensive either, buddy. I can assure you that I don't feel one bit guilty about eating meat. I love it too much and don't see anything wrong with it at all. Do you? Do you also care about not treading on ants on the pavement? If these beings don't die by our hands, they will eventually die - it's just a matter of time.

Everything dies in the end. Personally, I'm more concerned about kids with cancer slowly dying in pain than animals who die quickly in order to feed our species. Besides, nothing wrong with cooking meat - we have evolved enough to be skilful and knowledgeable enough when it comes to heating certain foods and discovering flavours pleasing to our tongues.

I don't think it is fair to attack the human race the way you do either. Sure, we can be assholes and make a lot of mistakes but look at how much we have progressed and what we have accomplished!! You also have to remember that we, above the rest of the species on the planet, stand a better chance at fixing things. We are more advanced and there is no denying it.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest