Do you believe in a multiverse?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Do you believe in the Multiverse theory?

Yeah
68%
No man thats wack
11%
I stay away from belief discussions as I dont fully understand the concept yet
14%
...Multiverse theory?
7%

Total votes: 28

Ty8200

Re: Do you believe in a multiverse?

Postby Ty8200 » 04 Jul 2012 07:04

Summerlander wrote:Just the other day I tried to explain to my eight year-old son that there is no highest number because you can always add more to it. Likewise, there is no smallest number either if you imagine that there is always the half of something.

On expansion... the universe expands, our consciousness evolves, and we are taller today than we've ever been.

Go back a couple of millennia and you'd see that the short folks of today would be considered tall.
Go back even further and the world is a different place.
Back even further and eventually we come to realise that dust is playing with funny forms to a level of complexity where, eventually, with the passage of time, it is safe to say that the forms are now playing with the dust.

It's a circus and we are the clowns. :mrgreen:

Well, in truth, there are no numbers at all :) Humans created numbers, so they only exist to us. If we say there is no highest number, there won't be. (Well there is the infinite sign ∞, which in mathematics, is considered a number) If we say numbers go on forever, they will. Do you believe that there was a start, or do you think there simply always was a form of something, which we were built off of? And if we're clowns, who's the audience?
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 04 Jul 2012 15:55

Ty8200 wrote:Well, in truth, there are no numbers at all Humans created numbers, so they only exist to us.
Well i guess that's true , but quantities of things have always existed and it just so hapens that an infinite amount of anything is impossible. id say yeah numbers are a human invention but its just a way for us to quantify things so they are still technicaly real.
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 04 Jul 2012 22:49

SGraham wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:Well, in truth, there are no numbers at all Humans created numbers, so they only exist to us.
Well i guess that's true , but quantities of things have always existed and it just so hapens that an infinite amount of anything is impossible. id say yeah numbers are a human invention but its just a way for us to quantify things so they are still technicaly real.

Well, the objects existed, but they just simply did. An amount existed, but there were no words tied to it. And I don't believe an infinite amount anything is impossible. Like what was said earlier, the universe has the potential to expand infinitely, so an infinite number of atoms? Or planets? Perhaps. Definitely not impossible.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Jul 2012 22:59

SGraham wrote:
Summerlander wrote:Likewise, there is no smallest number either if you imagine that there is always the half of something.
in theory that's true, but there is a strange idea, the plank length . plank length is a hypothized sub-atomic particle that cannot be cut in half. thats just almost unimaginable.

True. But I wouldn't dare mention quantum physics to my son yet. He was already confused enough at the idea of adding infinitely! LOL! :mrgreen:

If wrapping his brain around decimals is bad enough imagine this: 1.616199 × 10[-35] metres = 1 planck length :shock:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 05 Jul 2012 01:00

Summerlander wrote:True. But I wouldn't dare mention quantum physics to my son yet. He was already confused enough at the idea of adding infinitely! LOL! If wrapping his brain around decimals is bad enough imagine this: 1.616199 × 10[-35] metres = 1 planck length

yeah that's pretty funny. every once in a while i have to pull out some quantum physics knowledge at school when ever my friends decide that they'll try to out smart me at science. :geek:
How do you define real ?

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Jul 2012 09:11

get them to do some simple maths and see if the result surprises them.

I read that in 1cubic mm of brain tissue there are more synapses that stars in the Milky way and each connecting synapse has 5 receptors.

That is over 1 billion connections each end times 5 so 50 billion possible connections in each mm of brain tissue and each one a thought either conscious or sub-conscious.

I stand to be corrected on this but it is close and that's a lot of power to be used
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 05 Jul 2012 21:04

Yeah in my psych clsas they said a similar fact. While coaching kids tennis in the holidays sometimes I overheard this smart alec kid who was older than most kids (around 12 years old) saying he was way smarter at maths than everyone (other kids were like 8)

So I asked him, whats 1+1x0? He said it was 0, I got to rub it in his face that he was wrong.

On a similar note I overheard one kid say "im 5 years old and your 4 years old. And when im 6 years old you will be 5 years old. And when im 7, you will be 6,..." He went to 13!!! was funny to listen to.

One kid also said the smallest number is 0..... is that true, or is it not a number so is the smallest number a fraction where the denominator tends to infinity?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 06 Jul 2012 10:43

So I asked him, whats 1+1x0? He said it was 0, I got to rub it in his face that he was wrong.

Unless there's some trick question going on here, I'm pretty sure anything multiplied by 0 is going to be 0.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 06 Jul 2012 17:09

Jack Reacher wrote:One kid also said the smallest number is 0..... is that true, or is it not a number so is the smallest number a fraction where the denominator tends to infinity?

i wouldnt consider 0 a number, more of just the absence of a number.
How do you define real ?

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 06 Jul 2012 18:37

Ty8200 wrote:

Unless there's some trick question going on here, I'm pretty sure anything multiplied by 0 is going to be 0.

well that's true but with the order of operations you multiply first so it will be 1 .
How do you define real ?

Return to “Off-Topic”