Personality traits of dreamers

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Dreamgal

Personality traits of dreamers

Postby Dreamgal » 16 May 2011 08:23

I dont know if this is off-topic enough but I just wanted to know are there common personality traits among lucid dreamers??

Like, do you need to be particularly creative? Or believe in the afterlife or anything like that? I know the two arent really connected but maybe believing in things helps you make that leap of faith to realise you're dreaming, if you know what I mean?

I want to have lucid dreams and I just want to get into the mind set of a lucid dreamer, haha.

livie12

Re: Personality traits of dreamers

Postby livie12 » 18 May 2011 21:28

i think a big thing you need is to believe! that's one trait you need for sure~! ;)
Livie....:)

Seto_Blade

Postby Seto_Blade » 19 May 2011 19:49

Yeah, belief is the strongest driving force towards lucid dreaming, if you ask me. Once you've convinced yourself of the very realistic possibility, everything else falls into place.

Dreamgal

Postby Dreamgal » 29 May 2011 00:38

I definitely believe in lucid dreaming but I don't know what it feels like yet so its hard to imagine. Rebecca's descriptions of her lucid dreams are really cool, I wanna experience that.... COME ON BRAIN!!

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 01 Jun 2011 04:15

Keep at it, Dreamgal. It will happen eventually. :)

Seto_Blade wrote:Yeah, belief is the strongest driving force towards lucid dreaming, if you ask me. Once you've convinced yourself of the very realistic possibility, everything else falls into place.

I agree!

Many lucid dreamers have an active interest in spirituality. Besides that, I haven't noticed any other common personality traits.

Ancient

Postby Ancient » 22 Jun 2011 06:38

People who have been lucid dreaming or astral projecting for a long time often have a different sort of look about them. Can't recall all the names off-hand, but if you take a look at Stephen LaBerge, Robert Monroe, they all have deep, piercing eyes.
If you've ever met or conversed with someone like this, you'll know what I mean. There's something about them that you can just feel is different from most.
Tool
Sleep
Portal
Gojira
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Am I Dreaming?--------------------------------------------------------- ?gnimaerD I mA

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 23 Jun 2011 20:47

dreamgal, I am helping a few others right now. One of the first things I tell them is to not worry about the "is this possible", but work on the methods to find out how you can do it yourself.

Here is an analogy for you. Think of a golf ball. Try throwing a golf ball as far as you can. It will go about 50 yards if you have a good arm. Then someone with a club says I can show you how to hit it 250 yards. if you knew nothing of golf, you may say "no way, that is impossible". Then boom they hit it 250 yards right in front of you.
Now if you were to take this club he has you would only get it to go 10 yards or slice it to the right with no idea why. It may even frustrate you, and you say "forget this". But if you start taking on the techniques, you will learn to start hitting it further! There are a lot of reasons as to why the club hits it further than we can throw the ball, but you can worry about that when you learn to hit the ball first!

So look at Lucid Dreaming as hitting the golf ball 250 yards. Start by learning the techniques, such as meditation. It may take a while before you hit the ball 250 yards, but you will get there and have many revelations on your way to doing so.

Hope this helps-

Ryan

kasi

Postby kasi » 24 Sep 2011 07:10

great analogy,seeing the techniques as a bat..ha ha great.kasi

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 24 Sep 2011 13:44

Ancient wrote:There's something about them that you can just feel is different from most.

I'll tell you about that something about them. They have trained themselves to be more aware of their environment (be it reality or dream). They have gained experience in lucid dreaming and put it into practice in the waking state.

@ Dreamgal:

The only way you are going to get into the mindset of a lucid dreamer is by experiencing lucid dreams yourself. You don't particularly have to believe in anything or be creative, but, via lucid dreaming, you can become creative or you can develop your own beliefs and find yourself.

In fact, you can use lucid dreaming to be whoever you want to be in waking life. After all, as Stephen LaBerge once said, in a dream, "you are who you dream yourself to be".
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 10 Dec 2011 04:06

I can only answer with predjudice, but I think there is something different about us. I think those of us who VALUE dreams have a leg up on other folks. They're throwing away their diamonds, and we're holding on to them. Somewhere at sometime that's going to count for something, and I have faith that eventually I will reap the rewards.

Return to “Off-Topic”