What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Summerlander

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 11 Jul 2012 20:43

I'm sorry, what have I missed? :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 12 Jul 2012 04:25

Summerlander wrote:I'm sorry, what have I missed? :D

Not much. I replied to your last message, if you care to read it. Besides that... Well, you can see for yourself :)
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 12 Jul 2012 04:27

SGraham wrote:
Peter wrote:To all this is not a place to chuck insults small or big to each other. Feel free to put forward thoughts and opinions but not take small jabs at each other.

rdc8214 wrote:Apology accepted Ty8200 and thank you for teaching me so much about the quote button. It has really helped me construct my posts.

apparently rdc8214 didn't catch that first post from peter. seriously can we actualy have a mature debate or something without any of this childishness

Hopefully it's not more sarcasm, but if it's not, then I accept rdc's acceptance of my apology :D

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 12 Jul 2012 04:48

rdc8214 wrote:I did see it and i was only thanking Ty8200 and accepting his apology. Now for your discussion topic...sure i'm full of them. How's euthanasia for a topic and how it applies to religion? I'm a believer that the hippocratic oath has taken over our lives. Since most religion will not allow someone to end their own life, the doctors choose to prolong it. My belief is that they honestly mean well, but who wants to find grandpa with his head on the wall because he didn't want to go to hospice. I think voluntary euthanasia should be allowed, but should be regulated. Sometimes people live too long. My grandmother has alzheimers and has had it for 15 years. Rarely is she seen by any family b/c she just doesn't know anyone. Does anybody here believe the soul is still there? I wonder sometimes if those types of people are more like animals at that point. Enjoy the new thread. 8-)

I get what you mean. To pull the plug or not. I've been a believer than we shouldn't commit suicide for any reason. It's just what I've been taught, not religiously, just morally. But if someone is in a state of suffering, it might be different. It also depends on what level of alzheimer's your grandmother is in. I still don't think we fully understand what it is. We explain it as a loss of brain function, but that's just how it appears. If we haven't found a way to prevent, reverse, or even slow the process, there must be more to it. Do you see your grandmother often? Can you tell how bad the AD is? If she has a lot of trouble doing the simplest things, like eating or reading, it's probably advanced. But I still think the choice should be left up to the victim, IMO. If you believe humans have souls, then it would probably remain until death. Again, IMO.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 12 Jul 2012 05:26

Ty8200 wrote:I get what you mean. To pull the plug or not. I've been a believer than we shouldn't commit suicide for any reason. It's just what I've been taught, not religiously, just morally.

I get what your saying, i don't see why anyone would want to cut short their lives. but i think it would be unfair to tell someone they couldn't end it. again i think people should get to decide the outcome of thier lives especialy how it ends.
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 12 Jul 2012 15:41

SGraham wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:I get what you mean. To pull the plug or not. I've been a believer than we shouldn't commit suicide for any reason. It's just what I've been taught, not religiously, just morally.

I get what your saying, i don't see why anyone would want to cut short their lives. but i think it would be unfair to tell someone they couldn't end it. again i think people should get to decide the outcome of thier lives especialy how it ends.

Yeah, that's understandable. Then again, it's against the law to attempt suicide, so really, they don't have a choice (Well, technically, they'll always have a choice, but as far as the law is concerned, they don't). I mean, if someone's in a coma, it's different, but if they just hate their life, it's not the right thing to do, IMO. Everyone has hard times, it's a part of life.

SGraham

Postby SGraham » 12 Jul 2012 17:04

Ty8200 wrote:Yeah, that's understandable. Then again, it's against the law to attempt suicide, so really, they don't have a choice (Well, technically, they'll always have a choice, but as far as the law is concerned, they don't). I mean, if someone's in a coma, it's different, but if they just hate their life, it's not the right thing to do, IMO. Everyone has hard times, it's a part of life.

I get what your saying, i don't think there is anything when we die so I don't get why someone would want to end their life because they are in a hard point of their life. but again i just think it's not up to my or other people to decide.
How do you define real ?
think it over it's a tough question...

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 12 Jul 2012 17:36

SGraham wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:Yeah, that's understandable. Then again, it's against the law to attempt suicide, so really, they don't have a choice (Well, technically, they'll always have a choice, but as far as the law is concerned, they don't). I mean, if someone's in a coma, it's different, but if they just hate their life, it's not the right thing to do, IMO. Everyone has hard times, it's a part of life.

I get what your saying, i don't think there is anything when we die so I don't get why someone would want to end their life because they are in a hard point of their life. but again i just think it's not up to my or other people to decide.

I don't know. I've had too many paranormal experiences to not believe there is an afterlife. It seems pointless that we'd even exist if this was it. There is no real meaning in life, nothing we actually need to do here, so it seems there must be something more. Can you really imagine just not existing? The idea seems more unbelievable then an existence after death, to me. But I'm not trying to tell you what to believe, it's just hard to understand why someone would choose to believe there is nothing more, when there very well could be.

Peter

Postby Peter » 12 Jul 2012 21:12

Can you really imagine just not existing?

Yes I can, we seem to have a distorted sense of self in most areas and a need to believe in an afterlife but this does not make it fact. Also all paranormal experiences are experienced in a living body and so not sure about what effect death will have on this.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 13 Jul 2012 12:07

Peter wrote:
Can you really imagine just not existing?

Yes I can, we seem to have a distorted sense of self in most areas and a need to believe in an afterlife but this does not make it fact. Also all paranormal experiences are experienced in a living body and so not sure about what effect death will have on this.

We can't really know anything is my point. This sense of self may or may not be absolutely contained within the brain. Of course an afterlife isn't fact, but the idea that one doesn't exist isn't fact either. I don't expect to be Tyler, who plays a spirit piano and enjoys riding a spirit bike. I just think there must be more to existence than death. Why do we question this? Why do we connect with these ideas? Is it that we are so utterly flawed that we must come to the conclusion that there is no point or reason? Words are poison. They label and limit. We'd be better off without them.

As for the sentence on paranormal experiences, I don't see what experiencing them in a living body would matter. If you mean to say "living perception is different than death perception" then you admit to believing in a consciousness after death. Perhaps you haven't been lucky enough (or rather, unlucky for you since you seem content to believe there is nothing more) to experience anything paranormal, but let me tell you, there have been hardcore non-believers until they had an experience themselves. Middle aged people, who were already set in their ways, not to be swayed or influenced by anything. Yet, the mind is influential when it needs to be, to better understand and learn. Perhaps not by the aforementioned poison, but by the experiences themselves.

Return to “Off-Topic”