Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
bgmacklem

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby bgmacklem » 12 Jul 2012 14:55

Hey, I have read over almost all of this thread and haven't found anything quite like what is happening with me...

So, I have had a couple of (short) lucid dreams, and thought that perhaps listening to the brainwave entertainment posted on here might help. I have listened to both the Lucid Dreaming Isochronic mp3, and the Xperience +, with no results from either. Meditating with them playing did not enhance my meditative state either.

I have listened to them how the posted sites suggested, with no results whatsoever. :(

Am I doing something wrong, or am I somehow "immune" to the effects of meditative mp3's?
"Dreaming is just a person's excuse to be truly free, once a night."
-Brendan Macklem

Sander

Postby Sander » 15 Jul 2012 10:36

Hi

I just learned about lucid dreaming 2 hours ago and i started searching for more info about it. I really want to try this, but there's something holding me back. I've read things about people having sleep paralysis and seeing terrifying things when it happens.

Can someone give me a detailed expalantion about this phenomenon and how to deal with it when it happens?

Thanks.

Regards, an aspiring lucid dreamer.
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

bgmacklem

Postby bgmacklem » 15 Jul 2012 18:55

Sander,

The stories about sleep paralysis freaked me out a bit too, until I did some more reading on it.

As your body falls a sleep, your mind paralyzes it, in order to prevent you from acting out your dreams and causing injury to yourself. That is what sleep paralysis is. There is a sleeping disorder that can be activated when under stress; It causes one to wake up before the sleep paralysis is disabled.

People often freak out when they discover they are paralyzed. Because of the fact that your mind is extremely suggestible when in this stage of sleep, their subconscious mind takes their fear and draws on stories they have heard; it turns them into hallucinations. These hallucinations often include disturbing, unsightly, or demonic figures entering the room, and retraining the person, tying them to their bed. this is caused by the person's interpretation of the paralysis. Other hallucinations include a gargoyle sitting on their chest to keep them from breathing, and aliens probing them as they cannot move to resist.

However, as a lucid dreamer, you have nothing to worry about. The only time you should encounter sleep paralysis is willingly., when having a WILD or, on rare occasions, when waking up for WBTB. If this happens, and you find it uncomfortable, simply wiggle your fingers and toes, and the paralysis should recede along your body. Just stay calm throughout, and you'll be fine.

I have only encountered sleep paralysis once, and quite frankly I found it quite intriguing, not scary at all. In fact, it almost led to an OBE, until i suddenly fell out of focus. Trust me, sleep paralysis is really nothing to worry about it. The only reason it has such a bad rap is because so few are informed about it, they get terrified when it happens, and their imagination takes over.

Hope this helps, good luck with your lucid dreaming "career"! :)

-bgmacklem
-Brendan Macklem

Sander

Postby Sander » 16 Jul 2012 00:12

your elaborate answer is greatly appreciated, though some of the abbreviations are unknown to me :P

ok i've been reading a lot about LD all day and i've come to the conclusion that i'm going to try it. One thing actually still bugs me. While it sounds absolutely amazing that you can control how your dream goes and actually fly and do incredible things (i've read about people fighting off a monster in a nightmare, imagining that they are spiderman and stuff like that), it all sounds a little to good to be true.

Can anyone confirm, without bullsh*tting me, that things like this are possible? doesn't even have to be that extreme, but i only want to try this if it is actually possible to do whatever you want when you achieve a lucid dream.

I've always been rather sceptical about things like this (things like hypnosis and such), so pardon me if i'm hard to convince. It's just that i find it difficult to accept that you can counciously affect a world completely driven by your subcouncious.

I'm going to sleep now and i'm going to try to dream about having a lucid dream. Then tomorrow when i wake up i'll try to write down what i remember. these are good things to do when you want to have a LD, right? I've also been doing reality checks all day, so maybe i'll get lucky :)

see you tomorrow!
Free Your Mind.

bgmacklem

Postby bgmacklem » 16 Jul 2012 02:39

These were my thoughts exactly. But although I have had only a few short lucid dreams, I can guarantee you that everything on this site is accurate. The only difficult part is getting your conscious mind to accept what is happening, and allow manipulation.

There are (rare) cases in which your subconscious mind is so set on a theme that you are rendered unable to manipulate the dream. But out of the 5 lucid dreams I've had, this has happened only once; And that was after a rather traumatizing event, so a set theme is no surprise.

Trust me, after your first fully lucid dream, you have no doubts left in your mind. :mrgreen:

Good luck with your dreams tonight, let me know how that goes for you!

PS: Once you have your first fully lucid dream, the three things i recommend you try are:

1:Fly. Simple as that. :P
2:Use telekinesis to do a few simple tasks.
3:Ask your subconscious about a pet-peeve of yours.

PPS: Here are the abbreviations I used:

WBTB=Wake Back To Bed:Waking up during an REM cycle, then returning to sleep after waking your conscious mind up, aids in the induction of lucid dreams.

WILD=Wake Induced Lucid Dream:Allowing your body to fall asleep while your mind stays awake, letting you "pop" yourself into any dream state you choose.

OBE:Out of Body Experience:A form of lucid dream induced almost exactly like a WILD, however your mind continues to receive information from the outside world, allowing it to accurately simulate the nearby environment for you to explore.
-Brendan Macklem

Sander

Postby Sander » 16 Jul 2012 12:37

Ok thanks for your reply.

I didn't have a LD last night, which was to be expected, since it's the first time i tried it :) I did try to remember what i was dreaming every time i woke up and that went surprisingly well. Normally i don't remember much of my dreams, only if it was a vivid one. I didn't get the chance to write them down though, since my girlfriend was staying over. Now i really can't remember a thing :D

I've read about the WILD method, but that one kinda scares me a little because of the higher chance to get sleep paralysis. Supposedly, it's also a method used by advanced lucid dreamers, so i think that won't do any good for me.

i'm also not sure about this WBTB method, since it usually takes quite some time for me to fall asleep. I think using this method will leave me exhausted after a few days.

there is one thing that could help me with LD, though. No matter how late i turn to bed, i usually wake up around 7 AM, even if i went to bed at 2 AM or something. Most of the LD appear in the last REM session right? So if i'm able to fall asleep after that, i could have a good chance of having a LD?
Free Your Mind.

Lovro

Postby Lovro » 16 Jul 2012 17:18

So I have been into lucid dreaming for about 2-3 weeks, I read about techniques, I did all that is important ( dream recall, reality checks etc...)

I can remember a dream each morning, but I never seem to become lucid in those dreams. My dreams are somehow too basic or real and I can hardly recognise them as dreams.
I mostly dream about everyday activities ( going to school, hanging out with friends, playing, doing sports...) But they are just a wee bit different than reality. Sometimes in my dreams, lets say, I drive my bike down a 10km long road, it is just like reality, but with a slight taste of fiction.

I sleep about 7-10 hours a day.

What am I doing wrong regarding lucidity? Am I missing a thing or two?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bgmacklem

Postby bgmacklem » 16 Jul 2012 20:54

you aren't doing dream signs. Do reality checks whenever you notice a dream sign of yours, and you will get in the habit of doing this when dream signs arise. As a result, you will do them specifically in-dream.

Also, have you been meditating? My first LD came when i began meditating.

I can give you a little bit more information if you tell what MOI (Methods Of Induction) you have been using. Good luck!
-Brendan Macklem

Sander

Postby Sander » 16 Jul 2012 21:32

bgmacklem wrote:you aren't doing dream signs. Do reality checks whenever you notice a dream sign of yours, and you will get in the habit of doing this when dream signs arise. As a result, you will do them specifically in-dream.

Also, have you been meditating? My first LD came when i began meditating.

I can give you a little bit more information if you tell what MOI (Methods Of Induction) you have been using. Good luck!

ok i i've read about these all the time, but what ARE dream signs..?
Free Your Mind.

bgmacklem

Postby bgmacklem » 17 Jul 2012 01:28

That reply was technically for Lovro, but anything to help. :P

Dream signs are common factors that often show up in your dreams. For example, in all my dreams, if i'm ever attacked and need to fight, my fists turn extremely slow and heavy. The same happens with my feet if i try to run away from something. I recognize this as a dream sign, and it has resulted in 2 out of 5 of my lucid dreams, including my first one.

Also, read for the way you describe your dreams. Even if no physical signs are evident in the journal, if the writing seems odd in certain parts, it can reveal a very elaborate and efficient sign for becoming lucid. (One pre-programmed into your mind, not one you must notice in-dream.)

See, dream signs can be all sorts of things, and are a big reason you're supposed to do dream journaling.
-Brendan Macklem

Return to “For Beginners”