Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Sander

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sander » 17 Jul 2012 09:48

ok but dreams signs obviously never occur in real life.. so how are you supposed to do reality checks :s
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

Lovro

Postby Lovro » 17 Jul 2012 10:03

I don't recognise dream signs on time, but I remember them in the morning.
Today I dreamt about having a bike race with Reese from Malcolm in the middle, it was obvious, but I didn't recognise it. The next dream was about going out with thia girl I like. But we already went out before, so I didn't know it was a dream...
What's the best reality check?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Lovro

Postby Lovro » 17 Jul 2012 10:06

Sander wrote:ok but dreams signs obviously never occur in real life.. so how are you supposed to do reality checks :s

You can try doing a reality check each time you get a text mesaage, I started doing it recently

Sander

Postby Sander » 17 Jul 2012 10:11

Lovro wrote:
Sander wrote:ok but dreams signs obviously never occur in real life.. so how are you supposed to do reality checks :s

You can try doing a reality check each time you get a text mesaage, I started doing it recently

pretty good idea, but i'm not sure about receiving text messages in my dreams. I can't remember if that ever happened.

But dream signs are generally things that happen quite often in your life and thus have a good chance of happening in your dreams?

I'm pretty bummed too, because i couldn't remember what i dreamt about this night... my alarm clock woke me up this morning, so maybe that had something to do with that, since i need to get out of bed to stop the alarm.
Free Your Mind.

Lovro

Postby Lovro » 17 Jul 2012 14:16

Today I had a lucid and a non-lucid dream. I didn't do a reality check, but instead I forced my wish to come true inside of the dream. It was like a guided, non-lucid dream. It wasn't too vivid actually...

tophergdavis

Postby tophergdavis » 17 Jul 2012 21:55

So I have been trying to train my mind for the past week now. I am performing reality checks every time I use the bathroom, and receive a text message, so that I am sure to do them often and evenly spread throughout the day, as well as when I wake up, have a moment of deja vu, or there is a thunder storm or talk of thunderstorms arise (as being in a tornado is a recurring dream I have had my whole life). I have also been keeping up with my dream journal when there are dreams to remember, and have recorded five thus far.

On my third day of trying, I did a guided meditation when I got home, then decided to take a nap since I was falling asleep during the Meditation. While I was asleep, I had a dream in which I did reality checks, which failed and I realized that I was dreaming. I couldn't fully become lucid because I felt like I was about to wake up and was scared that I would wake myself. It wasn't until my wife called me and woke me up that I realized just how asleep I was and I thought that I I had only gone for it in the dream and "woken myself" that I would have gained full lucidity (or at least better lucidity).

Now with my entire life story being said, here I my question. Since that day, I seem to have hit a road block and at times feel like I have actually regressed. Today, being exhausted from a hard day at work came home and did a self hypnosis session and went to take a nap and try the WILD technique. As I had just done the self hypnosis, I was already fully relaxed and was able to easily identify the Hypnagogic State. Once I felt the pulsing in my head mentioned in the WILD article that signals the onset of sleep I started picturing my dream scene as vividly as possible (A real physical place that has personal meaning to me so the visualization was vivid down to the scents and tactile feeling). I could feel the effects of sleep paralysis beginning but could never seem to actually fall asleep and begin the dream. After about a half an hour at that state I finally woke myself up. Although I feel very relaxed, sleep never actually came and as such nor did a dream much less a lucid one.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Sander

Postby Sander » 18 Jul 2012 10:30

so i tried meditating last night. I didn't really know how to do it, but i tried visualizing walking through my garden, hearing the sound of the pond and the wind, feeling the grass under my feet, seeing the plants and smelling the flowers. Is this a good way to do it?

I think it was working, because i suddenly felt a strange sensation.. my head kinda started buzzing and i felt a strange pressure. It was rather overwhelming, though, so i lost focus. Could this be the hypnagogic state i've been reading about?

PS: so i was talking about lucid dreaming at lunch today, and suddenly my brother goes like "oh, i had one last night :)" .... I think to myself "are you kidding me??". He dreamt that he was flying and suddenly realized that something didn't add up. So he became lucid for a few seconds. -_-
Free Your Mind.

Lovro

Postby Lovro » 18 Jul 2012 16:18

I recived my 4th part of the free lucid fast track, about deep relaxation. I lay on my back and I relax for a lot untill I start getting tired... I imagine myself on a swing and I can't seem to feel the OBE... Why?

bgmacklem

Postby bgmacklem » 18 Jul 2012 16:31

Sander,

You are doing great if you heard buzzing. That is the final step that oftentimes leads to an OBE. The pressure was sleep paralysis taking over. You were probably seconds away from a WILD or OBE.

As far as your brother having a lucid dream, don't worry about it. Everybody has 1-3 lucid dreams in their lifetime, it's just a coincidence he had one when you were working to have some of your own. The chances of him having another are very low.

Meditate again tomorrow, and push through the buzzing. You'll be rewarded, I can guarantee it!
"Dreaming is just a person's excuse to be truly free, once a night."
-Brendan Macklem

Sander

Postby Sander » 18 Jul 2012 18:14

bgmacklem wrote:Sander,

You are doing great if you heard buzzing. That is the final step that oftentimes leads to an OBE. The pressure was sleep paralysis taking over. You were probably seconds away from a WILD or OBE.

As far as your brother having a lucid dream, don't worry about it. Everybody has 1-3 lucid dreams in their lifetime, it's just a coincidence he had one when you were working to have some of your own. The chances of him having another are very low.

Meditate again tomorrow, and push through the buzzing. You'll be rewarded, I can guarantee it!

thank you very much, that is very reassuring :D but i wasn't in sleeping at the time, i was just sitting upright in my bed. Is it possible to go into a LD that way?

Can you give me any tips about meditating through the buzzing? It's hard to ignore it and keep your focus :-/
Free Your Mind.

Return to “For Beginners”