Can this be right??? Reality check did not work?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.

Can this be right??? Reality check did not work?

Postby MINDSQUEEZE » 18 Jul 2012 00:02

The other night this happened:

Went to bed as normal and my dream was very vivid which I am use to. I don;t know if I was dreaming about lucid dreaming and it wasn't a real lucid dream but in my dream I tried to do a reality check (although I didn't control it or felt like I realised I was in a dream), my check is to put my finger through my hand and say 'My finger is going to pass through my hand'. But in my dream I had, my finger did not go through, I remember it did the same thing as real life (didn't go through my hand). I am a little confused by this and I woke up feeling as though my mind thought I wasn't ready for a lucid dream and that's why it made me not realise i was in a dream.

Thanks for reading...If you can tell me I am not dream crazy that would be great :)

Jack Reacher

Re: Can this be right??? Reality check did not work?

Postby Jack Reacher » 18 Jul 2012 06:28

yeah that happens to me as well sometimes, I used the same check. My backup is to try breathe through my nose while pinching it shut, that usually works
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Postby Shadow » 18 Jul 2012 06:51

Ya you should try 2 or 3 different reality checks. I like to study my hands which also increases the clarity for me.

Postby torakrubik » 18 Jul 2012 21:11

Reality checks are never guaranteed. You shouldn't rush them, and do several to confirm your lucidity.
Dreaming is my drug

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Jul 2012 07:33

That particular check doesn't work for me either.

The value of reality checks is to create the habit of questioning whether you are dreaming or awake and to accept the fact that at any time you could be dreaming.

Dream realities are as real as waking ones, so you can never be certain which one you are in unless you check and even then you can be wrong.

Most of the time, I don't even need the reality check itself, just the idea of questioning whether I'm dreaming is enough. It's good to be able to confirm the dream state though so experiment and find what works for you. I use looking at my hands and counting the fingers, usually twice.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Postby HAGART » 19 Jul 2012 22:30

Yea, reality checks don't always work.
Have you ever heard the expression, "pinch me I must be dreaming?" I don't know how that got started, but I can pinch myself in a lucid dream and it feels like I pinched myself.

Just the other day, (Sunday I think), I had a funny feeling I was dreaming. I JUST KNEW IT. It's an internal feeling. I wanted to make sure, so I tried to push my had through the other, but it just felt like I was pressing my two right fingers into my open left palm. I never actually tried that before, and only learned about it from Rebecca at this site. My tried and true method didn't work either. I usually look at something and try to make it move with my mind. That is MY most reliable Reality Check, but even that didn't work this time.

We all need to come up with our own reality checks and discover what works for us. And just because it worked one time doesn't mean it will work all the time. Once I was in a dream and I was thinking about lucid dreaming and doing a reality check and I tried to make a camera come to my hand (like the 'FORCE') but it didn't work, and I didn't expect it to, so I didn't question it.

For me, when I realize I am in a dream, it always starts as an internal feeling. Then I ask, "what the hell is going on, this is so bizzarre, how did I get here, am I dreaming or am I just really drunk!?" I need to do a few reality checks before I can convince myself I am dreaming before I take my pants of and parade around a busy street. Sometimes I am afraid I will do that in real life, because it can feel like real life at the time... even though YOU JUST SOMEHOW KNOW!
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”