Dream situations where I'm too scared to check

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
mastermind

Dream situations where I'm too scared to check

Postby mastermind » 29 Jul 2012 18:21

Basically, I have a recurring nightmare, where i'm driving in a car, and it's a bit nerve wracking because I get lost, and keep getting confused where to turn, and a police car will pass me, and I get nervous

and I start to wonder if it's a dream, because I recognize this to be a common nightmare scenario

however i'm not sure it's a dream, it makes sense that i'm in the car, i explain that i was just at point a, and now i need to get to point b, and i might be awake

here's my problem, i'm so nervous that i might be awake, and i need to be careful driving, that i can't even look for any dream signs, because on the chance i'm awake and really in the car, i need to be careful! so instead i will just decide to wake myself up to find out if im dreaming. so i wake up and feel relief for a moment that i don't have to deal with that scenario, but then i get upset because that could have become a lucid dream.

please help, this happened to me last night (again!) and it was a bummer that i missed out on a lucid dream possibility. any ideas?

HAGART

Re: Dream situations where I'm too scared to check

Postby HAGART » 29 Jul 2012 22:05

Do a reality check and be confident with it. Sometimes it takes several if the first one doesn't work. (and you got to do what works for you.)
It takes a lot of balls to pull over and get out of the car and start lucid dreaming from there because it feels so real at the time. Or stay in the car and outrun the cops. But once lucid you realize there is no consequence; the the whole story of driving and the cops was not real and you can do what you want.

It takes practice. For me, I already have the thought, "Am I dreaming because this is too absurd?" before I take full control of a dream.

Even I get swept up so much in the dream I think it is real and don't realize.

You have this dream often and next time it happens think about how many times it has happened it real life and what are the odds that it is real. Do a reality check, and muster up some inner strength to be confident that you are dreaming.

I too fear that one day I might do something rash in real life, but you got to convince yourself that it is just a dream and it is easier said than done to come to that realization.

Final thought:
You said you rationalize it because you know you came from point A and are going to point B. Our minds will come up with a story to rationalize our dreams and even come up with false memories to justify a situation. Don't have an argument with your mind, the subconscious will always win. Do a tried and true reality check and "JUST KNOW" that it is a dream. Still easier said than done...

Good Luck!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Jul 2012 06:04

Would recommend doing lots of RCs every time you drive with the specific question of "Am I dreaming now?" You have more consistant control when you are awake so that's the time to practice. The idea is that the habit will go over into the dream and you will be able to become lucid. I have a lot of driving dreams too so I also try to do RCs when ever I drive.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

mastermind

Postby mastermind » 10 Sep 2012 13:05

HAGART wrote:For me, I already have the thought, "Am I dreaming because this is too absurd?" before I take full control of a dream.

That's pretty clever actually.

I appreciate both of your answers, but could you two take a look at my newest post, which is called "My dream signal goes unnoticed!" I'm really frustrated about this! So i'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and offer some feedback! Thanks so much

mastermind

Postby mastermind » 15 Sep 2012 05:39

BTW THANKS HAGART! for the above comment. you just helped me have another lucid dream. i was basically spitting up big balls of phlegm, it was gross, and i recalled what you said about things being too absurd. at that point i realized it was weird, but just to test i went to see if i could throw up all sorts of weird stuff on command, AND I COULD! then i knew i was dreaming. it was my best lucid dream yet, i mean it felt more real then previous times.

Return to “For Beginners”