My Dream Inside a dream

Share your most awesome, bizarre or lifelike dreams of the non-lucid variety. Tell us about your weirdest nightmares and false awakenings.
Explorer

My Dream Inside a dream

Postby Explorer » 30 Jul 2012 13:19

My last nights dream i was working at a daycare center overlooking the children. While i was sitting down on a chair i fell asleep. In this dream i was sort of lucid i was conscious that my dream inside the dream wasn't a dream i'm not sure whether that counts or not, it didn't really feel like it.

In my dreams dream I was in a taxi with people who i guess were my friends driving around in a taxi, picking up people and dropping then off. until finally i was dropped of with one friend at a gas station because i needed to pee

When i was there i noticed these cupboards that were the same ones i have in my room. The more i stared at them the more i felt my self exiting my dream within the dream. I knew what was happening and tried to fight it but i ended up leaving that dream.

When i woke up I wasn't in the daycare center but in my bed, i got out of bed and entered my older brothers room, because we normally discuss our dreams together. Unfortunately just when we were about to talk i heard my younger brother making plans over the phone which took me out of the dream

AngelXdv

Re: My Dream Inside a dream

Postby AngelXdv » 30 Jul 2012 19:25

Inception! I mean truly now,a dream inside a dream? I still struggle to have my first lucid dream. I can only dream of dreaming in a dream :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . But I don't get it,you were dreaming when you got to your brothers room?

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 31 Jul 2012 05:39

Yeah false awakenings are quite common when you lucid dream. You can go from

Waking state -----> Dream-----> False waking state--------> Waking state

Waking state -----> Dream(#1)-----> Another Dream(#2) (lucid)------> Dream (#1)------>Wake (or false awakening?

If you somehow get an hour long LD it gets much more complicated and exhausting.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » 10 Aug 2012 18:42

I've only had a few dreams within dreams, and all but one were very unstable and fuzzy. The only stable one occurred when I felt really tired in a particularly vivid dream I was having and put my head down on a table in a cafe where I was sitting. I dreamt of watching YouTube videos with a friend and then woke back up into the cafe and continued with the original dream, which lasted for quite awhile afterwards. How amazing is it that our brains are capable of creation at that level?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Aug 2012 23:13

more accurate to say that one dream followed by another dream, just like in the daytime - I was here and then I went there. Inception was interesting but started a few misconceptions about dreaming
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 11 Aug 2012 03:28

Also is the whole time thing accurate, I seriously doubted it was and argued with my friend about it. Im talking about how time in a dream takes less time in reality, for example an hour dream time is like an 20 minutes in reality, and it grows as you go deeper into dream layers. I disagree, I think you experience an hour of the dream and it takes an hour of reality, however it seems longer because you are in a scenario with more backstory behind it.

For instance my pink floyd dream, when I went to see them live in the dream I knew it took them 4 years to set up their stage however I wasnt around for 4 years in the dream to see it. Some dreams can even give the illusion of a whole life time if you are in a different character entirely.

However if it were true that you can extend your experience through dreams, what if you could master a way of consistantly going into 3rd order dream (dream within a dream within a dream?) to extend your mental life span? If limbo land even exists, isnt the concept of immortality a reality in this case? I think to seriously answer any of these questions properly means we have to get a better definition of what time is.

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Aug 2012 05:00

I have a good idea of how long my dreams last but never given any thought on how long the dream events should have taken to run. I can watch a plant grow over months in real life and see a plant grow in what appears to be a few instants in the dreamtime. I am not sure that the concept of time really exists but the fact that we use real life as the reference does and the realms are not the same.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 11 Aug 2012 06:27

I think time in a dream can be modelled simply by your conscious experience. Maybe we can test this.

Say you get really good at WILDs and you learn how your body clock works, say you get up at 5:30 am, stay up a bit then go back to sleep at 6:00 am and you know for a fac tthat it takes you 30 minutes to instantly slip into a WILD, so you know for a fact that your lucid dreams start at 6:30 am. As soon as you are lucid you could start counting, if you count to 300 at the same pace as you would normally for each interval being 1 second, then 5 minutes will pass in the dream time, 5 minutes of you experiencing stuff, regardless of how the other objects in the dream are being handeled.

So when you wake up and check your clock, will it say 6:05? According to Inception, it should say something like 6:01

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Aug 2012 07:03

I have a good sense of time in the dreamspace and when entering by WILD I will be accurate for total dreamtime to a few minutes. I have this in daily life and can judge time very well so being aware in while dreaming the same skill is there. I dont think about it much but will from time to time get the awareness that it has been X amount of dreaming. Normally just before I wake up.
In some ways does it matter, I still tend to think that they are different spaces and states and make little effort to relate one to the other as I dont see the point.

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » 11 Aug 2012 12:58

If we know that neurons fire and send signals at close to the speed of light, then according to Einsteins theories, time would move slower for our realities in a dream. Our external stimuli are eliminated and are instead manufactured within our brains. Sound no longer travels at 740mph, for instance, because it is a concept and not a physical constant within a dream. This would exponentially increase our "perceived" reality in a dream in that we could experience a lot more in a lot less time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “Share Your Non-Lucid Dreams”