Curious About Lucid Dreaming

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

Curious About Lucid Dreaming

Postby Kabnit » 31 Jul 2012 07:38

Hey all. I stumbled upon the concept of lucid dreaming a while back, but only now does it actually intrigue me enough to attempt it. I'm about to turn sixteen, if that's relevant at all.

Anyways, I have a few questions before I try to start such a thing:

1. I usually fall asleep with a lot of ambient noise (i.e. television, etc). Does this have any affect on anything?

2. Can every single person on Earth do it, or is there a ratio of those who can and can't?

Thanks for any information!

Re: Curious About Lucid Dreaming

Postby whimsylaurel » 31 Jul 2012 13:18

Well, I'm not too much of an expert on this subject either, but I'll see what I can do to help.

1. To answer you're first question, I tend to fall asleep listening to music at night, and in the past, that actually HAS affected my dream vividness and recollection in a good way. It creates a soothing background noise that, if quiet enough, I can fall asleep to. That sort of thing may not be for everyone, but I would suggest just playing your favorite playlist on repeat with your headphones on (make sure to turn the volume down at least 80%), if you're a very sound-conscious person or if you're a more verbal/audible learner or if you just like music. I can imagine that falling asleep with the TV on may have a similar effect, but you won't know for sure unless you try it!

2. Now, I don't think I can answer this next question with a perfectly direct answer, but from what I've learned, there are some people who can and can't, but I haven't met anyone who physically and mentally can NOT lucid dream or have a somewhat successful attempt, so I would imagine that the number of people who can't is a very small percentage.

There are a number of people who can naturally lucid dream and have been doing it all of their lives, and didn't even know that lucid dreaming is what they were doing! I'm not sure if you are one of those people or not, but that percentage is quite low as well.

And then there are the people who teach themselves how to lucid dream, and I consider this to make up most of the lucid dreamer community. To be honest, it's just like learning to play an instrument or a sport: it takes lots of practice and consistency. And you can't get frustrated easily if you can't instantly improve right away; it takes patience. But just like anything that takes hard work, it to completely and totally worth it. I would definitely read up more on the articles here on this website, Rebecca has done a wonderful job of writing them, I'm sure that they will help you immensely.

Well, I wish you good luck and sweet dreams! Hope this was able to help you a bit!
"Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn’t want to live there." ~Owl City

"Never regret. If it is good, it is wonderful. If it is bad, it is experience ." ~Anonymous

Postby reynaldi » 31 Jul 2012 13:23

the real question is WOULD THEY LUCID DREAM
people like bullies, will not believe that lucid dream exist.
so they mentally close their curiousness about lucid dream
so even if they try to lucid dream
they won't have it..
sorry for my english..

Postby jamjam » 31 Jul 2012 14:24

I've been lucid dreaming for a while and i have been doing research about it.
1. Sounds can carry over to your dreams... but that doesn't mean it will be the same sound when you're dreaming...
For instance, if someone pokes your leg in real life, in the dream you could be bitten by a snake.
You could hear a bird in real life... and your dream might interpret it as a car horn.

2. NO!
There is a rare condition that only a few people have... THEY NEVER SLEEP!
This eventually leads to death...
Before they get the condition I guess they could've lucid dreamed...
Hope that helped!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Last edited by jamjam on 31 Jul 2012 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kabnit » 31 Jul 2012 19:13

I appreciate the information guys. The most trouble I have at the moment is actually remembering my dreams, which I very rarely do. I have a blank notebook that I'm gonna convert to a dream journal. See if that helps.

Return to “For Beginners”