why do my dream characters seem so hollow?

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.

why do my dream characters seem so hollow?

Postby leechesleeches » 01 Aug 2012 15:50

last night i went lucid and decided to try and meet my subconscious. i voiced my intent but nothing happened, so i tried calling out through the door 'i'll be with you in a minute', and when i walked out, sure enough someone had appeared - a man in a grim reaper halloween costume (i was quite mystified by this). i asked him a question that i now can't remember, and all i know is that he gave me a really irrelevant answer.
this has also happened before, when i asked a character what they represented and they replied with something about a cup of tea! i know that i am just starting out (only had about 6 'good' LDs) but it can be quite frustrating! does anyone have any tips? thanks in advance :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Re: why do my dream characters seem so hollow?

Postby jamjam » 01 Aug 2012 17:56

Did you stabilise the dream?
Once you gain full lucidity dream characters shouldn't be a problem!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 06 Aug 2012 08:08

In one of my recent lucid dreams the setting was a play. Everyone had lines and when it came my turn, I forgot mine.

Everyone in the dream is a part of yourself and it's like a play, only you are playing all of the parts. You are coming up with everything the dream characters say. I think when you are lucid you get a little "stage fright" sometimes and inhibit your own ability to express all of the parts yourself. But like all things, this can improve with practice.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Postby boardsenseless » 22 Jan 2013 13:23

You're lucky, I have very little interaction at-all in my dreams. I would love to meet a dream character I can converse with.

Mygirlfriend meets dream characters all the time in hers and they often give her criptic answers like this, you have to try and work out the meaning. She actually had a very similar meeting to this, meeting a man in a similar outfit, he was huge and very intimidating. she asked:

"What aspect of me do you represtent?"

He replied in a booming voice

She considered this for a moment and then said

"I'm not in the mood for any of that criptic shit just tell me what you mean!"

The man shrunk to normalm size and when he removed his hood he was skinny, bald and very placid, he replied in a stammering voice, almost a whisper.

"You know when people are scary but actually they're the one that's afraid and it's all just a front? Well, that..."

It seems that you can influence dream characters depending on your attitude and the questions you ask but I have very little personal experience with dream characters.

Postby Lewisfranklin » 13 Mar 2013 01:22

Your dream characters are a mystery, my dream characters always seem to be more interested in me than I am of them. I personally tend to go about my business during my dreams, though like you I have experience problems trying to start a conversation with them when I want answers. I realized though that you need to have a full control of the situation before you can go in and just talk to them. In a non lucid dream the characters in my dreams seem to say completely irritating and irrelevant things about whats going on. For example guide me to the shops or something haha :)

Your dream characters are actually all placed in your dreams for a reason. They each have a purpose. If you manage to gain full control they won't need to talk about irrelevant things as you will be in a full lucid state and the normal dream you were having wouldn't happen as usual meaning the characters wouldn't need to guide me to the shops as the scenery would be mine to control. I think its honestly just how lucid you are but I might be wrong haha :)

Postby oliverclay » 13 Mar 2013 05:56

All you need to stabilize the dream.

Postby Summerlander » 13 Mar 2013 10:44

Yes, stabilising the lucid dream world will be a great start. Spend a minimum of ten seconds rubbing your hands or something. Focus on amplifying the senses and clarifying your dream environment. This promotes awareness and helps with the stability of the lucid state itself. Intensifying and taking heed of dream sensations will also help with memory. It's all interrelated and a mental reflection of brain chemistry.

Now, the dream characters may be crystal clear or hyperreal even and still be nonsensical in communication. If this happens, try a different approach to your questions. If the figure continues to be nonsensical or incoherent ditch the simpleton and find another dream person or living being. You must have confidence that the next one will express a higher degree of intelligence too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”