What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Jack Reacher

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Jack Reacher » 31 Jul 2012 05:32

Yeah if there is a higher power, it doesn't necessarily have to be an intelligent entity. Imo in the big picture life itself is just one drop in the bucket. Gets a little crazy beyond that. Drugs.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Aug 2012 21:28

To me there is no God. Buddhism, uncorrupted (if you cut out the mystical BS that has been attached to some of its forms over millennia) resonates with me. I practice meditation and I truly believe that there was a Buddha who had a psychedelic experience that changed his perspective on reality forever.

He discovered, and rightly so, that it is all about the mind. It is where all experience occurs and hence why the Buddhist philosophy is the first one to acknowledge that no living creature can observe the world directly - it is all mental interpretations... in other words, what you see and feel from the world is a very elaborate hallucination that serves as your organism's best interpretation of what is going on outside. You think a fly experiences the world in the same way? Wrong!

In Buddhism, there is no God nor fantasy. I have three young children and I get them to do a simple 5 minute exercise daily. I tell them to stare at a red dot and do nothing else. I encourage them to not think of anything as they do so. I tell them to imagine that there is only the red dot and nothing else. I say that the red dot is all there is... it has no worries, no wants, doesn't desire any toys or games, doesn't think and it is free. I tell them that we were once like the red dot, before we were born... it is where we come from kids. The red dot is free, it is bliss. As you can see, we've come a long way from the red dot and we got more complicated.

They took it seriously and now, especially my eldest who is eight, gets excited about the "red dot meditation". You know what it has done to them? They seem happier. They can enjoy things and know that they have the ability to not become attached. If they find themselves getting bored or when they want something they can't have, I tell them to remember the red dot... and they smile... no tantrums!!

The cessation of being is bliss. All you troubles end. I have taught them about acceptance. One should cultivate a healthy mind to that point. It is fine to enjoy life and the things you like... but if things sometimes don't go your way, strong is he who can still remain serene.

My kids also do a lot of sharing. :D

You don't need to threaten the kids with a wrathful god or with a Santa who won't deliver if they misbehave - my two cents.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 06 Aug 2012 16:35

Jack Reacher wrote:In my opinion your general code of ethics is a belief.

Sure, anything can be a belief. But whether you believe in something or not, it won't stop you from getting thrown in jail.
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 06 Aug 2012 16:50

Summerlander wrote:To me there is no God. Buddhism, uncorrupted (if you cut out the mystical BS that has been attached to some of its forms over millennia) resonates with me. I practice meditation and I truly believe that there was a Buddha who had a psychedelic experience that changed his perspective on reality forever.

He discovered, and rightly so, that it is all about the mind. It is where all experience occurs and hence why the Buddhist philosophy is the first one to acknowledge that no living creature can observe the world directly - it is all mental interpretations... in other words, what you see and feel from the world is a very elaborate hallucination that serves as your organism's best interpretation of what is going on outside. You think a fly experiences the world in the same way? Wrong!

In Buddhism, there is no God nor fantasy. I have three young children and I get them to do a simple 5 minute exercise daily. I tell them to stare at a red dot and do nothing else. I encourage them to not think of anything as they do so. I tell them to imagine that there is only the red dot and nothing else. I say that the red dot is all there is... it has no worries, no wants, doesn't desire any toys or games, doesn't think and it is free. I tell them that we were once like the red dot, before we were born... it is where we come from kids. The red dot is free, it is bliss. As you can see, we've come a long way from the red dot and we got more complicated.

They took it seriously and now, especially my eldest who is eight, gets excited about the "red dot meditation". You know what it has done to them? They seem happier. They can enjoy things and know that they have the ability to not become attached. If they find themselves getting bored or when they want something they can't have, I tell them to remember the red dot... and they smile... no tantrums!!

The cessation of being is bliss. All you troubles end. I have taught them about acceptance. One should cultivate a healthy mind to that point. It is fine to enjoy life and the things you like... but if things sometimes don't go your way, strong is he who can still remain serene.

My kids also do a lot of sharing. :D

You don't need to threaten the kids with a wrathful god or with a Santa who won't deliver if they misbehave - my two cents.

Wow, you should write a book :) Getting kids to get along, share and even not throw tantrums? Even if we weren't ever really red dot, if it works for kids, why not use it? No sarcasm here, even if it sounds like it.

Buddhism is something I've always found interesting. If I were to be religious, Buddhism would be the closest thing for me (unfortunately, it is a religion). I read a quote from Buddha that I've lived by far before I read it. The exact words escape me now, but the general message was that you shouldn't believe something simply because a lot of people do.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 09 Aug 2012 06:26

Ty8200 wrote:

Sure, anything can be a belief. But whether you believe in something or not, it won't stop you from getting thrown in jail.

...whats that got to do with anything?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 09 Aug 2012 06:57

Jack Reacher wrote:
Ty8200 wrote:

...whats that got to do with anything?

What do you mean? A general code of ethics is forced by law. They don't care if you believe it is right or wrong. If you kill or assault someone because you think they are a devil, you'll get thrown in jail whether you believe it's right or not. Belief means nothing in real life, is the point.

Archi

Postby Archi » 13 Aug 2012 06:25

Hi,
I am Archi. I believe in God. We are a part of God. So,If You discarded it You will never be Successor.Not only my religion but all religions have faith in him. That's why......we are moving in this beautiful world.

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Aug 2012 07:08

Hi, I dont believe in any god or being and am also doing fine in this world and am happy to share with you
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 13 Aug 2012 07:34

Hi, I'm Ty. I believe we are all entitled to our own beliefs without ridicule or judgement. I believe no one has the right to try and make someone believe something they believe because that's what they believe to be true.

-Believe forever.

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Aug 2012 09:27

I agree but get irritated when a persons belief places a judgement on my life
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Off-Topic”