questions about lucidity

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
jjayebass

questions about lucidity

Postby jjayebass » 31 Jul 2012 01:16

Hi all! I'm new to this website and relatively new to lucid dreaming. I've been training myself to do reality checks throughout the day, and keeping a dream journal almost every day for the better part a month now. this has greatly increased my dream recall, but I haven't become lucid yet.

however, a couple days ago something strange happened that kinda confused me. I woke up randomly early in the morning and then fell back asleep right away. then I "woke up" again but there were slight differences in my room (different books on the shelves, things like that). I did a reality check but it wasn't one of my usual ones, I imagined a random geometric shape floating in front of me and it appeared! I was able to move it around and make it change shape and color with my mind. I knew this couldn't be reality, but for some reason I still didn't fully recognize it as a dream, it didn't even occur to me to try another reality check, I just laid there playing with this thing with my mind until I woke up for real.

this raised a few questions for me:
1. would this count as becoming lucid?
2. how could I recognize such an obvious dream sign and still not become lucid?
3. What can I do to make my reality checks more affective?

any insight anyone can give me into these issues would be greatly appreciated!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ryan

Re: questions about lucidity

Postby Ryan » 31 Jul 2012 01:37

jjayebass wrote:1. would this count as becoming lucid?

Nope, because you didn't actually get to that point where you realized you were dreaming. It sounds like you were close, but just a hairs-breadth away. :)

2. how could I recognize such an obvious dream sign and still not become lucid?

Because you didn't have enough awareness. You still had too much of a dream awareness... you were still acting within the scenario on a dream level.

3. What can I do to make my reality checks more affective?

Just keep doing them throughout the day. Pick something which you find yourself doing a lot in your dreams which is easily repeatable in this physical reality.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 01 Aug 2012 23:37

You experienced a False Awakening. They are extremely vivid and realistic...perhaps that is why you didn't fully recognize that you were dreaming.
Dreaming is my drug

jjayebass

Postby jjayebass » 02 Aug 2012 02:41

that all makes sense, thanks for the insight guys. i have another question, in regards to reality checks. I do a lot of them during the day, but much of the time I rely on alarms from my phone to remind me to do them. obviously I don't get these reminders in my dreams, so I'm wondering if relying too much on them might actually be counter productive?

Denmonation

Postby Denmonation » 02 Aug 2012 07:43

jjayebass wrote:that all makes sense, thanks for the insight guys. i have another question, in regards to reality checks. I do a lot of them during the day, but much of the time I rely on alarms from my phone to remind me to do them. obviously I don't get these reminders in my dreams, so I'm wondering if relying too much on them might actually be counter productive?

It's good to have those alarms set just to make sure you don't forget, but becoming reliant means you won't be thinking about reality checks throughout your day. What you really want to happen is that you walk into a new room, get in the car, etc. and automatically think to check if you're dreaming. After a while practicing this you won't even need the alarms at all.

jjayebass

Postby jjayebass » 02 Aug 2012 20:33

thanks for the advice denmonation! I think I'll have to slowly work off my reliance of alarms and concentrate on doing them on my own in everyday situations.

Return to “For Beginners”