Reality Check Help Please...=**(

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Untouchable

Reality Check Help Please...=**(

Postby Untouchable » 02 Aug 2012 22:25

I am having trouble with the reality check part of training to LD. People suggest that when you write your dream journals that when you read them to do reality checks when you see something in your dream that you do in waking life.

The problem is that my dreams are totally different from my waking life as far as scenery and regular day activities. Even the characters are people that although in my circle I rarely ever see them. My problem with reality checks is that i feel retarded just randomly saying AM IN A DREAM... i feel like it makes no sense to check for no reason as i know that i am 100% awake and the moment has nothing in coming with whats in my dream journal and i have a lot of entries.

Now I have had semi-lucid or pre-semi or something as if i am in the dream but i feel like as i am just acting within the boundaries of the dream itself and not because something tells me something is wrong.

Anyone with experience can help or suggest what can I do to improve on it?

Lucid Dreamer

Re: Reality Check Help Please...=**(

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 02 Aug 2012 23:04

well, ive only had one lucid dream, but i can help you on reality checks. reality checks are things you do daily. about 12 times a day. this is where you look at your palms, try to float or fly, look at a watch, try and do some math, fall backwards, or spin. stuff like this snaps you into conciousness when you are dreaming. you preform these during the day because it creates the habit of doing it while you are dreaming.

the thing you are talking about with your dream book, you underline things that seem odd or unusial if it were to happen in real life. these are divided into four catagories.
1. inner awareness- this is if your emotions seem odd in the dream
2. action- if an action that was preformed in the dream seems odd or even impossible
3. form- if the form of a person seems or object or place seems deformed or off.
4.context- if the overall context of and entire dream or a snippet seems just plain wacky.

go through your db underlining these things and identifying them by letters. (inner awarness ia, action a, form f, context c.)

the catagory that shows up the most in your dream book helps you with your reality checks in real life. if it is form, look around you, how are things shaped? ect.

if you have any other questions i will try and help you
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Untouchable

Postby Untouchable » 03 Aug 2012 14:00

Thanks... Will do... this weekend I am going to kick it into high gear as i have been meditating and listening to meditation music to see if that helps as well as taking a few supplements recommended in the forums....

- dmae - 300 g
- b6 - 200 g
- b12 - 500 g
- choline bitartrate - 500 g
- 5-htp - 200 g
- melatonin - 15 g

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 03 Aug 2012 22:20

i am just interested to see which occured most for you. mine was context. how bout you?
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Oneirophile

Postby Oneirophile » 03 Aug 2012 22:40

My problem with reality checks is that i feel retarded just randomly saying AM IN A DREAM... i feel like it makes no sense to check for no reason as i know that i am 100% awake

It's funny you should say that because I sometimes feel the same. Last week is a good example. I noticed something strange in what I was reading and thought, "Oh well, I suppose I have to do a reality check now even though I know that I am awake because I am here reading."

So I did my usual check of looking at my hand and counting my fingers. I looked at my hand and it had small lights around each of the fingers. "I must have put my hand in some glitter in a store," I thought.

Then I thought, "Maybe I should count my fingers, just to be sure." I counted them and there were seven, all outlined in glitter. And that's how I knew I was dreaming. I was lucid from that moment on. BUT if I hadn't done the reality check (counting my fingers etc) because I was so sure that I was awake (even though I wasn't) then I would never have triggered the lucidity. So always always always - no matter how awake you think you are - do your reality checks, especially if anything slightly (or very) odd happens.

Untouchable

Postby Untouchable » 06 Aug 2012 01:55

I hear you. It's just that since my dreams are so different from my normal life that makes it odd but I am starting to get into it so hopefully something will click. I just want to have one full lucid dream so i can get a taste and motivate me more.

Return to “For Beginners”